Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    DM_Wonk wrote: »
    Since I am new I have not yet read all 150 pages of this thread. Can anyone tell me when/where I can read more about the spoiler that DM and LG get lost in the woods? I have not heard of this yet, but don't want to bug you all to explain it. Just point me to the approximate date it was discussed? Thank you very much.

Check back to August 5, #2612. Leannethemouse started the original discussion - No, I'm WRONG!!

It was May 8 (8/5/13)! I forgot to pay attention to 1) that August hasn't happened yet (:eek:) and 2) that European shorthand is date/month/year
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check back to August 5, #2612. Leannethemouse started the original discussion, I believe.

Do you mean May 5?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    Do you mean May 5?

Yes, it's been a long day, NewPark. :o I meant May 8.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's been a long day, NewPark. :o I meant May 8.

Thanks to both of you for your help!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recall AJ telling Martin she couldn't go to the bank for another loan, as she'd done several times. So it would seem she was in some financial trouble, we just don't know how deep.

I do know that making a living on a farm is not always easy, depending on circumstances. I was raised on a farm and while a true city girl now, I am sensitive to those issues. I particularly found it interesting that MC said they'd like to see their farm "wash its face", which means pay its own way, I assume. So I see that as a very realistic statement of business sense about their property and not just a "I'd like to play with this" thing of the rich and famous.

Yes AJ was in debt.

And yes making a living on a farm is incredibly difficult. In Australia we've had 8 years of drought followed by floors and may now be slipping back into drought in some places. :cry:
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found a neat page where they had a survey to find the favorite Doktor Mateo moments - over 33,000 votes!

But it has the videos of all the moments. The are in Spanish, but fun to watch. Some look like pretty typical Martin/Louisa moments, but some of them.......wahoo!

http://www.antena3.com/series/doctor-mateo/noticias/vota-momento-favorito-mateo-adriana_2011071100033.html

I also found a neat way to translate pages on your iPad if you want - very cool and very easy:

http://ctrlq.org/ios/?translate#javascript:location='http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=auto|en&u='+encodeURIComponent(location)
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Yes AJ was in debt.

And yes making a living on a farm is incredibly difficult. In Australia we've had 8 years of drought followed by floors and may now be slipping back into drought in some places. :cry:

I figured she had taken mortgages out on her farm to supplement her income. Also, some of her customers weren't paying her. There is a scene where she asks a woman for her money and the woman says she will mail her a check.

Regarding her health, I think osteoporosis is a painful condition for many people. Otherwise we wouldn't see hundreds of ads for Aleve, etc., on our television sets every night.

I am going with the money problems, stress of Martin leaving, and the hints at her heart problems to explain her change in behavior. I don't think the writers decided to make her more difficult to get along with just for the heck of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I think the writers made Aunt Joan more difficult so that no one would miss her. They prepped us in Season 4 for her departure and then sealed the deal with dropping her coffin and Martin's odd eulogy. Enter Aunt Ruth with no further mention of Aunt Joan. Moral of the story: don't cross MC and PB!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    redit rYes
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    My comments about so many on the forum wanting DM to change had NOTHING to do with character growth and evolution. It just seems that many times there is, for lack of a better word, "griping" because the story or the character did not turn out to one's liking. Or because it was not more like some of the more romantic or sexual fan fiction.

I suspect that the parting of the ways with Dominic Minghella might have had something to do with MC wanting DM to be a more grumpy character and perhaps even moving the love story forward. Both those things occured with his leaving.

As I said, disappointed or not, I will watch to the very last episode loving MC/DM every step of the journey. And I will enjoy all the humor and pathos that comes with the story. I shall not want for more, I will just accept what is given.

Yes, I also think that they (Dom M and (BP) had very different opinions on how it would all pan out - probably midway through S2?? As far as I am aware Dominic Minghella has not been involved in anything Doc Martin since their 'fall out' 8 yrs ago in 2005 (please correct me if i'm wrong) but it does piss me off a bit that Dominic M still chooses to comment on his 'creation' when in fact he doesn't really know anything about the storyline after S2!! Yes he did create the characters, but someone else developed them. It just confuses me a bit why he still takes (and accepts) plaudits for the whole show, when in fact IMO he was just lucky
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    redit rYes

Yes, I also think that they (Dom M and (BP) had very different opinions on how it would all pan out - probably midway through S2?? As far as I am aware Dominic Minghella has not been involved in anything Doc Martin since their 'fall out' 8 yrs ago in 2005 (please correct me if i'm wrong) but it does piss me off a bit that Dominic M still chooses to comment on his 'creation' when in fact he doesn't really know anything about the storyline after S2!! Yes he did create the characters, but someone else developed them. It just confuses me a bit why he still takes (and accepts) plaudits for the whole show, when in fact IMO he was just lucky

Mr. Minghella was hired by Buffalo Pictures to create and write the show (six episodes) for series 1 and ITV loved it! He and his sister Edana Minghella worked together openly on Series 2 and after that they both moved on to other projects. The characters and settings are his, at least for two series. He created them out of thin air, sweat, blood, and tears. All later episodes are built on the foundation which he built.

If they continue to make the show up to Series 15, the credits will still say "Created by Dominic Minghella" the same way that EVERY Star Trek production credits Gene Roddenberry (and he's been dead since 1991).

I believe the man is a master; so in my book he is a hero. Safe to say that I think Dominic Minghella is a literary genius and I admire not only the man but his body of work.

I've seen your grumpy comments about him and they are your opinion. It beats my why you are so disgruntled with the man. I've read your opinion and now you can read mine. Cheers,

Rob
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to work as I think we heard twice during the filming that they had to shoot around him because he was ill. So maybe the weight-and-health-thing is the other way around, although I do hope I'm wrong.

My understanding from some comment on facebook fan page was that Phillipa was also sick that week so maybe a bug going around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I figured she had taken mortgages out on her farm to supplement her income. Also, some of her customers weren't paying her. There is a scene where she asks a woman for her money and the woman says she will mail her a check.

Regarding her health, I think osteoporosis is a painful condition for many people. Otherwise we wouldn't see hundreds of ads for Aleve, etc., on our television sets every night.

I am going with the money problems, stress of Martin leaving, and the hints at her heart problems to explain her change in behavior. I don't think the writers decided to make her more difficult to get along with just for the heck of it.

You are forgetting she is related to MC and ornery behavior runs in their family. Just like the appearance of his other aunt and her very Martin like behavior, never leaving home without a suit on, very clinical, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Mr. Minghella was hired by Buffalo Pictures to create and write the show (six episodes) for series 1 and ITV loved it! He and his sister Edana Minghella worked together openly on Series 2 and after that they both moved on to other projects. The characters and settings are his, at least for two series. He created them out of thin air, sweat, blood, and tears. All later episodes are built on the foundation which he built.

If they continue to make the show up to Series 15, the credits will still say "Created by Dominic Minghella" the same way that EVERY Star Trek production credits Gene Roddenberry (and he's been dead since 1991).

I believe the man is a master; so in my book he is a hero. Safe to say that I think Dominic Minghella is a literary genius and I admire not only the man but his body of work.

I've seen your grumpy comments about him and they are your opinion. It beats my why you are so disgruntled with the man. I've read your opinion and now you can read mine. Cheers,

R
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »

Hello, Dcdmfan.

As a physician I can tell you that I treat osteoporosis all the time. It's not painful; it's mainly found by chance through a DEXA scan or through a fracture. Osteoarthritis is painful, and can be combined with the bony matrix degeneration of osteoporosis. We see ads for Osteoporosis, for which Aleve as an NSAID can reduce the pain and stiffness. Medically, NSAIDS like Aleve are useless for treating osteoporosis and are never given for that.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Hello, Dcdmfan.

As a physician I can tell you that I treat osteoporosis all the time. It's not painful; it's mainly found by chance through a DEXA scan or through a fracture. Osteoarthritis is painful, and can be combined with the bony matrix degeneration of osteoporosis. We see ads for Osteoporosis, for which Aleve as an NSAID can reduce the pain and stiffness. Medically, NSAIDS like Aleve are useless for treating osteoporosis and are never given for that.

Right, thank you. I was wondering why you said that. I stand corrected. He was treating her for osteoporosis, hence the estrogen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    redit rYes

I have to agree with Robspace 54 on this. Your comment that Dominic Minghella was "just lucky" is ridiculous. It reminds me of the old saying: "The harder I work, the luckier I get." He might not know the storylines, but he does know the characters he created. More than likely he is cringing each time a new writer botches his creation. Are you listening writers of Season 5?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I just happened upon this thread on Ebay forums (I didn't even know that Ebay HAD forums).

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/The-Soapbox/Anybody-Here-Like/5100159464

Not many DM fans there. Can you believe that someone said, "I got frustrated with the Doc having no feelings." !!??!!
    And another one: "The guy who plays Doc Martin isn't exactly appealing as a personality or visually."

Interesting to see some different views of our beloved DM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »

R

Rob, I too admire the man and have no doubt that he is a very talented guy BUT he didn't pull it out of thin air - the main character and the setting where already there! He did write a great series 1 and he had a lot of input (along with his sister) for series 2 but there was some sort of diff of opinion?:confused: (if I recall towards the end S2) between them which resulted in them going their separate ways. It just pisses me off a bit as to why he keeps taking plaudits and commenting on a series he no longer knows anything about and openly admits he doesn't follow!!!:confused::eek: :eek:

He's not my favourite person as I'm sure you've guessed but I do admire his work. Yip .. I'm just a grumpy auld git :D:) x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DMfan wrote: »
    I have to agree with Robspace 54 on this. Your comment that Dominic Minghella was "just lucky" is ridiculous. It reminds me of the old saying: "The harder I work, the luckier I get." He might not know the storylines, but he does know the characters he created. More than likely he is cringing each time a new writer botches his creation. Are you listening writers of Season 5?

Ridiculous? its just a personal opinion! he doesn't now know the characters he created because they have developed in a way that he would never have foreseen - didn't he say the Doc and L would never be together - how long could they have kept going without the Doc/Louisa romance which for me is now integral and the main focus of the show :p:p???

I promise not to mention Dominic Minghella ever again on this forum :(:p
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Hello, Dcdmfan.

Me correcting my typo--sorry. I meant we see adds for Osteoarthritis for which Aleve as an NSAID, etc. (not osteoporosis).

Sorry for the confusion above, if it caused any!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I found a neat page where they had a survey to find the favorite Doktor Mateo moments - over 33,000 votes!

But it has the videos of all the moments. The are in Spanish, but fun to watch. Some look like pretty typical Martin/Louisa moments, but some of them.......wahoo!

http://www.antena3.com/series/doctor-mateo/noticias/vota-momento-favorito-mateo-adriana_2011071100033.html

I also found a neat way to translate pages on your iPad if you want - very cool and very easy:

http://ctrlq.org/ios/?translate#javascript:location='http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=auto|en&u='+encodeURIComponent(location)

Is it possible that since Doktor Mateo has moved further along (plot-wise) that now our DM is doing a bit of following along?
    I wondered this specifically when watching the one labeled, "Mateo y Adriana pasan la noche juntos" in which they seem to be lost, wandering in a rural area, and they go into an old abandoned barn to spend the night. Sounds similar to that "lost in the woods" spoiler.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DM_Wonk wrote: »
    Thanks to both of you for your help!
    DM_Wonk, I wonder if you could do me a favor. I remember all of that discussion of the lost in the woods scene, but I also remember a link to a filming photo, apparently a night scene in the woods with a pony! Now I can't find that photo. Was it at facebook? DM_Wonk, if you run across it as you review that info, could you let me know where to find the photo? Same question to others, if anyone remembers exactly where it is. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Ridiculous? its just a personal opinion! he doesn't now know the characters he created because they have developed in a way that he would never have foreseen - didn't he say the Doc and L would never be together - how long could they have kept going without the Doc/Louisa romance which for me is now integral and the main focus of the show :p:p???

I promise not to mention Dominic Minghella ever again on this forum :(:p

OUCH

Very harsh comments on a personal opinion, RubiRedi. Your opinion does not diminish that of others so I was sorry to see the comments about it. There are others who share your opinion of "he who shall not be named" here in this forum as this has come up a number of times.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Is it possible that since Doktor Mateo has moved further along (plot-wise) that now our DM is doing a bit of following along?
    I wondered this specifically when watching the one labeled, "Mateo y Adriana pasan la noche juntos" in which they seem to be lost, wandering in a rural area, and they go into an old abandoned barn to spend the night. Sounds similar to that "lost in the woods" spoiler.

According to Wikipedia, Doctor Mateo aired from 2009 - 2011 and had 5 series for a total of 54 episodes.

I explored a little more on the site with the favorite scenes and found these three interesting scenes. Apparently, the one at the bottom of the page (original link I sent) is an official announcing that Adriana (Spanish Louisa) and Nico (Spanish Danny?) are engaged. Mateo is standing there and seems to be shocked at the announcement.

Then these two scenes seem to be at the end of the final episode. From the rough translations I saw, there is some type of development that is threatening their little village. Very interesting way they ended the series. Down the road I may get one of those cheap DVD players that can play any region and purchase the Doctor Mateo set so I can watch with the subtitles. But in the meantime, these two last scenes from the series are worth a watch!

http://www.antena3.com/videos-online/series/doctor-mateo/momentos/nunca-das-vencida_2011071500109.html

http://www.antena3.com/videos-online/series/doctor-mateo/momentos/hay-que-casarse-persona-adecuada_2011071500096.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    DM_Wonk, I wonder if you could do me a favor. I remember all of that discussion of the lost in the woods scene, but I also remember a link to a filming photo, apparently a night scene in the woods with a pony! Now I can't find that photo. Was it at facebook? DM_Wonk, if you run across it as you review that info, could you let me know where to find the photo? Same question to others, if anyone remembers exactly where it is. Thanks! :)

I found the nighttime picture, it was from instagram.
    I am also VERY interested in the night time scene. I remember writing a fanfic when they get lost in the woods over night. I cant find it now, it was written years ago. But I can't wait to see it.
This discussion has been closed.