✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Couldn't see the point..... ;)

Couldn't see the ballpoint..... :)
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only 1970s musician I can think of who openly flirted with (implied) homosexuality as part of his image and whose career actually benefited because of it was David Bowie.

I appreciate this "news" is three weeks old but I only discovered by chance last night that Trevor Bolder who played the bass in Bowie's backing band during his Ziggy Stardust/Aladdin Sane phase died of pancreatic cancer on 21 May aged 62.

As far as I know, Bolder made two appearances with Bowie in the TOTP studio (Starman in July 1972 & The Jean Genie in January 1973) and a third with Uriah Heep in April 1977 which was included in the BBC Four repeats last year. He also featured in the official Jean Genie promotional video which aired on TOTP in December 1972.

Lead guitarist Mick Ronson died from liver cancer in 1993 aged 46, which means drummer Mick Woodmansey is now the only surviving 'Spider from Mars' - he was interviewed during the recent Bowie documentary on BBC 2 and I was struck by his resemblance nowadays (in looks and speech) to the Bullseye quizmaster Jim Bowen.

Before I discovered the 'Popscene' website three years ago I thought I had seen the first TOTP transmission of Starman aged ten on the Noel Edmonds hosted edition of 20-07-72 (I distinctly recall Tidybeard saying "David Bowie has always had an interest in the sky" as he introduced it) but it was actually a repeat clip from the 06-07-72 show presented by Tony Blackburn which I must have missed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muMcWMKPEWQ
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice on the 'It's TOTP Blog' that the 15th June 78 TOTP is available from Darnell 42's vimeo.com/67434504

Thanks for posting this.
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice on the 'It's TOTP Blog' that the 15th June 78 TOTP .
    Chris does a great job on his blog http://itstotp.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/smurfing-out-of-key.html he takes no prisoners (especially on the popscene facebook group ;) )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    this shows rubbish

no downloads no music no BOOM thank god i wasnt born back then or it would of been rubbish

:sleep:
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    Chris does a great job on his blog http://itstotp.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/smurfing-out-of-key.html he takes no prisoners (especially on the popscene facebook group ;) )

Pretty pathetic job in my opinion. Very childishly written and naive. Ironic that Sir Jimmy introduced Smokie singing "Oh Carol", must have been his favourite song!
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joyce_Egg wrote: »
    this shows rubbish

no downloads no music no BOOM thank god i wasnt born back then or it would of been rubbish

At least we were taught how to use punctuation and capitals....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member

EMFDYSI

:eek:
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this shows rubbish

Obviously someone who doesn't know what real music is. :rolleyes: Ever heard of Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC, Plastic Bertrand?...OK forget that last one.

Why don't you go back to the forum that likes to talk about bland dance r n b songs that all sound the same ay? :D
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bump for 7.30 :)

Evening all :D
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to a bit of "Argentine Melody" tonight, hopefully. Best World Cup theme ever in my opinion!
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EMFDYSI

:eek:

Well, you obviously don't ...
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty pathetic job in my opinion. Very childishly written and naive. Ironic that Sir Jimmy introduced Smokie singing "Oh Carol", must have been his favourite song!

Have to disagree. (Obviously a theme this week ... ;))

And anyone who can create a post of Sweet's TOTP appearances with intelligent commentary gets a big thumbs up from me. Especially for posting that rare clip of 'Ballroom Blitz' ... :cool:
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you think her dad made her watch it? :D

Poor thing, she's only 16 and likely reckons Little Mix & Olly Murs (sorry for swearing on the thread) are the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel.

What a shame we can't place a firewall around this TOTP 1978 thread against such deluded and inarticulate posts! :p

Off to a music re-education camp for the Egg girl. ;)
  • Options
    eurofandaveeurofandave Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Good evening everyone :) Looking forward to tonight's edition.
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Good evening everyone :) Looking forward to tonight's edition.

I'm not - it's a bit of a naff one tonight! :mad: - JS's episode was much better!
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all - here we go..
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Goldie.

Blatantly gay.
  • Options
    FB1969FB1969 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all.

No TOTP next week :(
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they have to ruin it by threatening us with BoM? :(
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Black Sabbath.

Obviously gay.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening pop-pickers.

Ozzy to start!
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Cant remember this track at all. Wasnt into this sort of music back then or now..Black Sabbath
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    FB1969 wrote: »
    Evening all.

No TOTP next week :(

Why does TOTP always have to make room????:mad:
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening!

Goldie to start - I was never keen on this one.

Black Sabbath - quite topical as they are on course for a number 1 album on Sunday. Not that good a song.
This discussion has been closed.