Options

Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    So we're never going to see the actual video, then?
    It doesn't look like it. I'm assuming it's down to licensing issues (ie how much the BBC would have to pay to show the video several times over the next two months).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it when a plan comes together.

*puffs on cigar*

Wrong show.

*promptly chokes*
    Excellent! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has a proper filthy look about her.
    I was seriously in lust with Sue back then. She was often, ahem, in my thoughts!
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand that Phil once suffered from premature ejaculation and one of Leslie's pet ducks was caught in the line of fire, so to speak. It later inspired one of Leslie's famous catchphrases.
    valkay wrote: »
    I had to think about that one.:D
    Me too. Have to conclude I sometimes have a proper filthy mind :o
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Bob Marley never excites me that much I'm afraid. I know I'm in the minority on that one. Him and Lynott were dead at 36 too. I'd rather Lynott came back.

I did see Lynott in concert earlier this year - well not actually him but an excellent Thin Lizzy tribute band. Great evening's entertainment.
  • Options
    FB1969FB1969 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I was seriously in lust with Sue back then. She was often, ahem, in my thoughts!

For all these years I thought that it was just me, now I find many others have the same excellent taste.
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they showed the clip from the film almost as soon as it hit number one but obviously not. The Popscene website has it wrong as on their TOTP episode guide it states the video was shown and not the Legs & Co routine.

I remember seeing this edition of TOTP on its original transmission and the clip from the film was shown.

The Popscene website is correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last song of the evening: David Soul. What a dreadful song.

Not one of the better editions of TOTP tonight, too much filler and not enough killer...
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they showed the clip from the film almost as soon as it hit number one but obviously not. The Popscene website has it wrong as on their TOTP episode guide it states the video was shown and not the Legs & Co routine.

Remember though we were still just under three months away from seeing the film released in this country. At the time this TOTP went out it had just been released in the States.

Very definite and strong memories of seeing the actual film clip from Grease shown on TOTP week in week out at No1 during 1978 summer. But hey, this song still has another couple of months at the top yet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Yeah - I'm getting a bit fed up with BBC4 now - first they cut out the JS/DLT episodes - then they edit the videos! :mad: - What next?!!
    It'll just be the theme tune and credits soon! :mad:

It just shows that if they can replace the video with Legs & Co, how easy it would be to do a compilation show of acts from Savile / DLT shows and edit them out.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Remember though we were still just under three months away from seeing the film released in this country. At the time this TOTP went out it had just been released in the States.
    They did air the clip every time first time around. WOuld have cost the Beeb too much in rights fees to Paramount..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I remember seeing this edition of TOTP on its original transmission and the clip from the film was shown.

The Popscene website is correct.
    Why did Kid Jensen say "to illustrate the nation's number one single, Legs & Co" then? That didn't sound dubbed on to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand that Phil once suffered from premature ejaculation and one of Leslie's pet ducks was caught in the line of fire, so to speak.

I presume Phil's pants were spared the chocolate stains on this occasion?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FB1969 wrote: »
    For all these years I thought that it was just me, now I find many others have the same excellent taste.

Seems like there are suddenly a few mucky laptops and tissues about at the moment! :D
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just shows that if they can replace the video with Legs & Co, how easy it would be to do a compilation show of acts from Savile / DLT shows and edit them out.
    Showing the clip woudl impinge on whoever has the FTA rights to the film - AND would need frequent fees to Paramount. It's not a "video" per se; it's movie footage.

And therefore costs a ton more. Happened with every song released from the film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last song of the evening: David Soul. What a dreadful song.

Not one of the better editions of TOTP tonight, too much filler and not enough killer...

Strangely I remember all his 1977 hits but didn't remember this one (similar situation with Brotherhood of Man!). It's actually grown on me, it has a very catchy melody and was so much better without the awful video shown last time it was on TOTP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Showing the clip woudl impinge on whoever has the FTA rights to the film - AND would need frequent fees to Paramount. It's not a "video" per se; it's movie footage.

And therefore costs a ton more. Happened with every song released from the film.

Quite annoying really. Another re-writing of history. This means a lot more hit records in 1978 are going to suffer the same fate then, John & Olivia's Summer Nights, Frankie Valli's Grease, Olivia's Hopelessly Devoted and also Travolta's Sandy, all massive hit singles in the next five months.
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Tonight's show featured a few of my favourites from the year:
    Marshall Hain's 'Dancing in the City' and Bob Marley & The Wailers' 'Satisfy my Soul.' They're two of my most played tracks on the mp3 player.

Whilst we didn't get to hear any of it tonight, I've been known to say I'd prefer to listen to 'The Smurf Song' than a majority of hits in recent years. Somehow to me it's less annoying!
    I understand that Phil once suffered from premature ejaculation and one of Leslie's pet ducks was caught in the line of fire, so to speak. It later inspired one of Leslie's famous catchphrases.

You're evil! :D
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member

Good one faversham! I remember introducing that particular Lizzy track to one of my good friends, and she did a double take and said, "did he really just say what I think he did?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did Kid Jensen say "to illustrate the nation's number one single, Legs & Co" then? That didn't sound dubbed on to me.

I've just looked back at that - after he says "illustrate" the picture cuts from him to Legs & Co, so it could have been changed. However, if it is edited it is expertly done, you can't hear the join.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Quite annoying really. Another re-writing of history. This means a lot more hit records in 1978 are going to suffer the same fate then, John & Olivia's Summer Nights, Frankie Valli's Grease, Olivia's Hopelessly Devoted and also Travolta's Sandy, all massive hit singles in the next five months.
    Given the amount of hits from the Grease film it would appear that the BBC showed a fair amount of the film back in 1978.

I would imagine that to show clips for all of the hits would be far too costly for the BBC. I assume that for one or two of the songs the track will have to be completely edited out of TOTP as there will be nothing they can replace the film clip with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    Good one faversham! I remember introducing that particular Lizzy track to one of my good friends, and she did a double take and said, "did he really just say what I think he did?"

I suspect the only chocolate those stains would resemble is the sort you get in Milky Bars and chocolate mice.
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Given the amount of hits from the Grease film it would appear that the BBC showed a fair amount of the film back in 1978.

I would imagine that to show clips for all of the hits would be far too costly for the BBC. I assume that for one or two of the songs the track will have to be completely edited out of TOTP as there will be nothing they can replace the film clip with.

It is going to be some challenge if BBC Four make it to next year as Art Garfunkel's Bright Eyes has no Legs and Co performance to cover for the film clip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is going to be some challenge if BBC Four make it to next year as Art Garfunkel's Bright Eyes has no Legs and Co performance to cover for the film clip.

Just a gut instinct, but I'm feeling that there will be no TOTP 1979 on BBC4 next year somehow. I hope I am entirely wrong.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual, I'll be catching up with this later, after work. Shame it doesn't look like we'll be seeing any Grease footage - though I'll be interested to see the introduction from Kid. Maybe there is a chance that on this occassion the video wasn't shown. The film had been released less than a week - so maybe it was still considered a spoiler.
This discussion has been closed.