Options

Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Just a gut instinct, but I'm feeling that there will be no TOTP 1979 on BBC4 next year somehow. I hope I am entirely wrong.

The fact that its not on next week despite no Sky at Night suggests it will soon be curtains for the repeats.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    The fact that its not on next week despite no Sky at Night suggests it will soon be curtains for the repeats.:(
    Next week's edition would have been a Hairy Scapegoat edition anyway and we still are a week ahead so to speak.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is going to be some challenge if BBC Four make it to next year as Art Garfunkel's Bright Eyes has no Legs and Co performance to cover for the film clip.
    Perhaps it would cost the BBC less money to show the clip for 'Bright Eyes' as there might be fewer clearance issues surrounding the clip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a gut instinct, but I'm feeling that there will be no TOTP 1979 on BBC4 next year somehow. I hope I am entirely wrong.
    I too hope you are wrong! It would be good if BBC4 could show TOTP 1979 as it would nicely round off the end of the 1970s decade.
  • Options
    BagovBagov Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Did Showaddywaddy ever sing live>>[/QUOTE]

I knew a feller who used to be on their security crew. He reckoned they were cracking live, and very much enjoyed the hem hem "traditional rock'n'roll leisure activities". The Chinnichap writing/production stylings on their records made them loadsa dosh, but didn't reflect their live sound.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure that gives any real pointers to future intent but after junking all the Savile editions, and keeping on hold all the DLT editions, now having a lot of film rights issues, plus the Bright Eyes point you made from April 1979, it gets extremely messy sounding. However, only last year at this time a lot of people on here were complaining about us falling behind with the episodes, and now with tonight's we were ahead by 9 days, and likely to run further ahead, which would be equally as bad as being behind I guess.

But over the next 12 to 18 months we are going to see some of the most brilliant and cutting edge music, far more so than in 1978, and it would almost be criminal to dangle the carrot and then take the shows away on the eve of such great music, and let's face it, 1979 is widely considered, quite rightly, one of the best ever years for music and the singles chart in the UK.

Certainly a boost would be to get the DLT bail situation decided one way or another, so the situation is clear. Given a positive outcome that would then add a good few episodes back into the mix again, however many that is. I still feel it has been atrocious to remove his episodes, in the absence of any actual charge being laid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bagov wrote: »
    Did Showaddwaddy ever sing live?

I knew a feller who used to be on their security crew. He reckoned they were cracking live, and very much enjoyed the hem hem "traditional rock'n'roll leisure activities". The Chinnichap writing/production stylings on their records made them loadsa dosh, but didn't reflect their live sound.

They were very good live. I saw them on 30th May 1981 just before my 12th birthday, which was the first pop gig I ever went to. By then of course they were on the way out as any chart force, and the hit they had out at the time just scraped the Top 40 briefly, Multiplication.

At the time I had no idea so much of what they did were cover versions, and even A Little Bit Of Soap is too I believe?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They were very good live. I saw them on 30th May 1981 just before my 12th birthday, which was the first pop gig I ever went to. By then of course they were on the way out as any chart force, and the hit they had out at the time just scraped the Top 40 briefly, Multiplication.

At the time I had no idea so much of what they did were cover versions, and even A Little Bit Of Soap is too I believe?
    Yes, "A Little Bit Of Soap" is a cover, originally done by The Jarmels in 1961.

Showaddywaddy could write some decent original material. The second 7 inch single I ever bought was their single "Sweet Music" written by themselves which is a great record.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3F-Emd_j9Q

Their first four singles were all self written but after they hit number two with a cover of "Three Steps To Heaven" and number one with a cover of "Under The Moon Of Love" there was only one way they were going to go in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, "A Little Bit Of Soap" is a cover, originally done by The Jarmels in 1961.

Showaddywaddy could write some decent original material. The second 7 inch single I ever bought was their single "Sweet Music" written by themselves which is a great record.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3F-Emd_j9Q

Their first four singles were all self written but after they hit number two with a cover of "Three Steps To Heaven" and number one with a cover of "Under The Moon Of Love" there was only one way they were going to go in the future.

You say that, but of course they hit No2 with their debut record Hey Rock 'n' Roll which was at No2 on this very week back in 1974 coincidentally. But I dare say that lifting covers off the shelf made their own shelf life that much longer, but a shame that a group that began the way they did, felt, or were told that their own songwriting was not good enough to sustain them chartwise in the long term. I think they were lucky even with covers to go on into late 1978 having top ten singles and even any hits into the 80's. Their Greatest Hits album was perfectly timed, shortly after their final ever top ten single in late 1978, then the album went to No1 in early 1979, and to all intents and purposes that concluded their meaningful chart life up the top end.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 24,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an excellent show for fans of classic rock with Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath in what must have been one of Ozzy's last appearances with the band, and Whitesnake performing. It shows that for all punk was the new sound, there was still a big market for hard rock and heavy metal that would, of course, see a new generation of bands emerge the following year.
    As regards DLT, if he is found guilty, it's going to be tricky for the BBC for the next two year's worth of episodes as he was one of the main presenter due to being the host of the Radio 1 breakfast show. Savile is less of an issue as his apperances became rarer in the late seventies and almost vanished in the eighties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You say that, but of course they hit No2 with their debut record Hey Rock 'n' Roll which was at No2 on this very week back in 1974 coincidentally. But I dare say that lifting covers off the shelf made their own shelf life that much longer, but a shame that a group that began the way they did, felt, or were told that their own songwriting was not good enough to sustain them chartwise in the long term. I think they were lucky even with covers to go on into late 1978 having top ten singles and even any hits into the 80's. Their Greatest Hits album was perfectly timed, shortly after their final ever top ten single in late 1978, then the album went to No1 in early 1979, and to all intents and purposes that concluded their meaningful chart life up the top end.
    I think what may have made their mind up or had their mind made up for them by management maybe, was having a number one with a cover straight after having two records that missed the top 30 and one that failed to even make the top 50 and all with self written songs.
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Sort of, but they kept on having minor hits until 1982 (Was it Who put the Bomp? ). They were I agree much better than they seemed to me at the time. I recently read an interview with their lead singer Dave Bartram in which he says that he wished they had combined covers with originals in their peak 1976 to 1978 days. That way they might have lasted, but they had had a series of original hits after Hey Rock'n'Roll that did not get to the top ten, or later even the twenty. I think they lasted respectable and made loads of dosh. But there were a few god hits after 1978. Their cover of Remember When and of Joe Dolan's Sweet Little Rock'n' Roller were both top twenty in 1979 and we may see them on TOTP.

I may say though that Bartram implausibly claimed that their version of I Wonder Why was better than the Belmonts. When I went to the States in the early eighties I used to listen to the legendary Wolfmanjack playing some of the originals of their hit--and , well, sorry but there was no comparison.
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    It is June 1978 and there is no New Wave. So there we go. Another myth bites the dust.

The best thing on the episode tonight was Thin Lizzy. Lynott was a top of the line lyricist and singer. Yes, I know Bob Marley was on, but I never felt Satisfy my Soul was one of his best, although it is fine.

Always loved Marshall Hain. Never got why they never had another hit. South African?

Brotherhood of Man were hysterical. They were no Abba and this one is a dud of duds; but they were not bad at all. Their last big hit. They deserved more, but have lasted on the circuit.

Showaddywaddy: hard to ruin a great song, and they didn't. Others may disagree. The Pioneers did it too.

These repeats will not end, but you could not have invented it that thirty-five years on we are awaiting the results of a court case to see how many we will get. Wierd.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    corriander wrote: »
    I

These repeats will not end, but you could not have invented it that thirty-five years on we are awaiting the results of a court case to see how many we will get. Wierd.

Very true: completely bizarre :eek:
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is June 1978 and there is no New Wave. So there we go. Another myth bites the dust.

The New Wave stuff all seemed to be between numbers 20 and 30, and all either on the way down and/or on the previous week.
  • Options
    darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I remember seeing this edition of TOTP on its original transmission and the clip from the film was shown.

The Popscene website is correct.

I agree, and if you watch the credits carefully, you can see where the page saying "Grease Footage courtesy of..." was edited out, because the swirling kaleidoscope effect in the background has a break in it. Normally it's continuous. See the JS edition from last week (courtesy of darnall42) for the page that would otherwise have appeared.

This would mean that they left the soundtrack in place, and possibly even had to extend it, whilst cutting 2-3 seconds of video. With all this snipping that's going on, it certainly does suggest that they could edit out those DJs who aren't fit for family viewing if they wanted to...
  • Options
    darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Joyce_Egg wrote: »
    this shows rubbish

no downloads no music no BOOM thank god i wasnt born back then or it would of been rubbish

:sleep:
    Joyce_Egg wrote: »
    EMFDYSI

:eek:

In the version of English that I speak, it "would have been rubbish". That's a pet hate of mine... :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always loved Marshall Hain. Never got why they never had another hit. South African?
    They are from Devon! Clout were from South Africa, perhaps you are thinking of them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do believe there are a lot of TOTP myths. Record sales being my personal gripe that I began with on here exactly a year ago now. But I'm not certain that you can genuinely take one single edition of TOTP to make a statement about certain genres. A full month of 4 would be a better sample size. However I certainly agree that with Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy and that abysmal Whitesnake track, it was as if the punk and new wave explosion never was.

For some reason I was expecting Sex Pistols to be coming up with a top tenner, Holidays In The Sun next month, but just grabbed my book to see it was an October 1977 hit, yet I cannot recall it ever being shown once on TOTP despite it's No8 position? We do get another Sex Pistols top tenner next month however, must have been the one I was thinking about, a No7 double A sided hit called No One Is Innocent / My Way. I'm guessing if they put this one on TOTP in the next few weeks then they ignore My Way and go fro No One Is Innocent. But clearly the sound of the era was dormant in this late June 1978 edition, and I'm also assuming it was the full TOTP we saw and not a trimmed down one, as the late night showing appears to be the same length.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do believe there are a lot of TOTP myths. Record sales being my personal gripe that I began with on here exactly a year ago now. But I'm not certain that you can genuinely take one single edition of TOTP to make a statement about certain genres. A full month of 4 would be a better sample size. However I certainly agree that with Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy and that abysmal Whitesnake track, it was as if the punk and new wave explosion never was.

For some reason I was expecting Sex Pistols to be coming up with a top tenner, Holidays In The Sun next month, but just grabbed my book to see it was an October 1977 hit, yet I cannot recall it ever being shown once on TOTP despite it's No8 position? We do get another Sex Pistols top tenner next month however, must have been the one I was thinking about, a No7 double A sided hit called No One Is Innocent / My Way. I'm guessing if they put this one on TOTP in the next few weeks then they ignore My Way and go fro No One Is Innocent. But clearly the sound of the era was dormant in this late June 1978 edition, and I'm also assuming it was the full TOTP we saw and not a trimmed down one, as the late night showing appears to be the same length.

I don't have any recollection of either of those tracks featuring on TOTP: 'My Way' may have featured post-watershed language, but 'No One Is Innocent' courted as much if not more controversy by featuring Ronnie Biggs on lead vocals ... in other words, the music had fallen by the wayside and it was all about Malcolm McLaren trying to milk as much 'outrage' as possible from a fading brand.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was. This flopped.

Stalling at a paltry number 61 ... that track was the lead on their Snakebite EP, issued on white vinyl to try and up its chart profile. A tactic which failed in this instance - but we are now in the thick of record companies using coloured vinyl as promotional tools.

Sometimes it worked - both 'Airport' and 'Don't Fear The Reaper' were issued on 12" blue vinyl - but more often than not, it couldn't help a single that was never going to cross over to a mainstream audience in the first place.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich, they showed the vid to Holidays In The Sun on the 27/10/77 edition.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't enjoy last nights episode, there seemed to be a sadness about it that I can't explain. Perhaps it is something to do with me reliving a wee bit of my childhood through these programmes, and when this programme was being originally shown I would have been leaving primary school, my childhood was being left behind:(

Showaddywaddy had turned into a club act by this time, the joyfulness and fun of "Under The Moon Of Love" had gone and it seem they were going through the motions. And it typified that episode for me, dull and not very good.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    I remember that Patti Boulaye song. Good song. Winner of new faces but never had a hit record unfortunately.

Did Showaddywaddy ever sing live>>

I'm sure some of the crowd at the Talk of the North in Eccles would say yes to that.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    I was just wondering that when I posted. So what's holding things up???

Finding something called evidence probably heh.
This discussion has been closed.