• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Loving this :D
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats really should be kept in at night , it decreases the risk of them having accidents & killing wildlife. It's very interesting !
  • Options
    InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    one eyeball!
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,858
    Forum Member
    Of course they're calling the shots! It's part of their charm...:D
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat rules the house we are just his slaves lol :p
  • Options
    Caro07Caro07 Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Cats really should be kept in at night , it decreases the risk of them having accidents & killing wildlife. It's very interesting !

The first thing my hubby said when the experts were described was that the only way they could be cat experts in a university was if it was funded by the cat food industry.

The conclusion they came to that cats didn't kill that much wildlife and mainly only ate in each other's houses, because cat food is soooo tasty, seems to support this.

The fact that they brought back parts of 20 bodies does not mean that they were the only ones killed. They also ignored the endangered species among those caught.

Before anybody asks, my husband has a doctorate in organic chemistry and has worked in the food industry so knows how uni funding and the industry in general works.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet they were funded by the cat food industry !
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caro07 wrote: »
    The first thing my hubby said when the experts were described was that the only way they could be cat experts in a university was if it was funded by the cat food industry.

The conclusion they came to that cats didn't kill that much wildlife and mainly only ate in each other's houses, because cat food is soooo tasty, seems to support this.

The fact that they brought back parts of 20 bodies does not mean that they were the only ones killed. They also ignored the endangered species among those caught.

Before anybody asks, my husband has a doctorate in organic chemistry and has worked in the food industry so know how uni funding and the industry in general works.

I wouldn't doubt this. Especially considering the comment made about how cat food has gotten more nutritional over the years....Yeh ok, the good stuff is hella expensive and a cat will always prefer and benefit from a natural diet at the end of the day.

I didn't like the conclusion the show came to. That apparently people want their cats to be more like pets and more domesticated. Nonsense. What I love about cats is thier wild, independent nature. If I wanted a high maintenance pet I'd choose a dog or have a baby!

Cats are beautiful precisely because they have a wild streak. If they bring in the odd prey and I have to clean it up I'd be happy it still can do what it instinctively enjoys - hunting.

P.S I think the pet food industry is full of cons. On a happy note, I enjoyed the show, I wish there was a whole series on it! lol. I'd love to know how far my cats roam. It's a mystery lol.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointed.Wanted more of the cats and less of the scientists
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mods, can we please merge this thread with the other one?? Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really worries me that so many owners let their cats roam free at night.
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always had cats and was surprised at a few things:

That cats can't focus their eyes less than 25cm in front of them and that although these cats lived in a village they stayed close to their homes and didn't roam much further out into the countryside.

I thought the programme fell short in a few ways: there was no discrimination made, at least as presented, on any different behaviours by tom cats, queens, neutered males or females. Also no mention was made as to whether farm cats or feral cats roam further and their different behaviours.

My cat reacted in an interesting way - it's not often he notices anything on the TV - I don't know if he heard the word 'cat' being repeated but he knows that word sometimes means him - he came near the TV (after coming downstairs) sat down and had a good look at the screen, then when the cats came on he was really interested and followed their movements - then he asked to go out......
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like the conclusion the show came to. That apparently people want their cats to be more like pets and more domesticated. Nonsense. What I love about cats is thier wild, independent nature. If I wanted a high maintenance pet I'd choose a dog or have a baby!

Cats are beautiful precisely because they have a wild streak. If they bring in the odd prey and I have to clean it up I'd be happy it still can do what it instinctively enjoys - hunting.

Same here - I don't want them to be increasingly domesticated.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

why? thats what they do
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a silly thing to say.
  • Options
    Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought most of the moggies featured were hardly the most perfect specimens of Cathood.
    Chubby, lethargic, boss-eyed and flabby, the feline equivalent of Jim from The Royale Family.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

I think you'll find it's very much the rule rather than the exception. I've had cats around me all my life and no-one I know would dream of confining a cat indoors at night. It seems to be a fairly recent thing that a minority of owners do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    I think you'll find it's very much the rule rather than the exception. I've had cats around me all my life and no-one I know would dream of confining a cat indoors at night. It seems to be a fairly recent thing that a minority of owners do.

Exactly this, and besides, if we didn't let them out, we'd miss out on the pleasure of being woken up at precisely 4 o'clock every morning by them scratching the window to get in!:p
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rather disappointing . too much footage of the boffins and their gadgets , not enough of the cats .

tbh I think the cats knew they were being taped and cut down on the murdering .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little cat diaries on BBC2 tonight at 10pm - 30 mins long.

A closer look at the cats who stood out
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02xcng8
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We used to keep our little female cat inside at night - she never used to mind at all. Had her own heated box up high, with a ladder to it, and was happy as Larry. :) By the same token I don't judge anyone who lets theirs out - surely it's just up to each individual person/family.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this and thought it was great!

I now want to put a cat cam on MY cat and see where she goes!!!!