Options

Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Yes Debbie Harry is the Queen of Cool - and does look good these days! - There was a phase a couple of years back where she had a bit of a granny perm! :eek:

Mind you - (and I'm gonna be unpopular here) - I never saw the attraction of Jay Aston - Cheryl Baker was much sweeter!
    And as for Therese from Dollar - I always thought she was a bit monkey faced! - David was always the better looking of the couple.
    Plus - I never liked Sue from Legs & Co - always preferred the one with the long blonde hair! :)

You're just a girl, lol :D Us boys saw the attraction!
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This just proves that a 10 year period is far far too long in the changing world of pop music to lump as a whole. 1967 was far different from 1962 for example, and the early 70s with Glam Rock were certainly not introspective and less colourful!

I suppose you go with what defines a decade more, the 60s is more psychedelia to most people, the 70s is a mix of things but progressive and singer-songwriter stuff is to the forefront for many.

But definitely decades are a bit of an arbitary division, it's never so neat as people make out.
  • Options
    wrighty65wrighty65 Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    corriander wrote: »
    Retro got a bit more sophisticated then. Rock Sharp for example, and also Harvey and the Wallbangers. Yet Shakin' Stevens went pop.

i'm sure the 'wads are still doing the pub and club circuit, they should make a comeback by covering olly murs' 'dance with me tonight' which is basically murs copying them in the first place :D
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a difference between Therese, here in 1979 and 1981, the clips also demonstrate Rich's point about the difference between late 70's TOTP and 80's TOTP, just 2 years on. Though both excellent songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79htcecmr_Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRFrCe3mLZk
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    David Soul.

Gay ruby slipper wearing Nazi.
    Davy was never gay, he use to beat his wife up! Mind you, only when she was late with his dinner. Fair play to the blond bombshell.
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »
    Quite a difference between Therese, here in 1979 and 1981, the clips also demonstrate Rich's point about the difference between late 70's TOTP and 80's TOTP, just 2 years on. Though both excellent songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79htcecmr_Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRFrCe3mLZk

Love "Who were you with in the Moonlight?"! - Dollar had some cracking songs ;) - but adding a bottle of bleach still doesn't improve your looks I'm afraid! :(
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Canalboy wrote: »
    Davy was never gay, he use to beat his wife up! .

Yes - I think I heard that once - just goes to show - it's always the quiet ones! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love "Who were you with in the Moonlight?"! - Dollar had some cracking songs ;)

That and Mirror Mirror are my favourites.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wrighty65 wrote: »
    i'm sure the 'wads are still doing the pub and club circuit, they should make a comeback by covering olly murs' 'dance with me tonight' which is basically murs copying them in the first place :D

I think that the lead singer of Showaddywaddy Dave Bartram finally retired from fronting them in December 2011. This was just 6 months after a member of the group, Buddy Gask had passed away 6 months earlier, infact this past week 2 years ago, and is one of the "curse of TOTP" passings that have happened since the repeats began.

The only "talent" Murs has is his personality. Not the music, or any voice of note. I deplore such mediocrity coming big. Yes, of course the 1970's had plenty of its own too I know!
  • Options
    wrighty65wrighty65 Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I think that the lead singer of Showaddywaddy Dave Bartram finally retired from fronting them in December 2011. This was just 6 months after a member of the group, Buddy Gask had passed away 6 months earlier, infact this past week 2 years ago, and is one of the "curse of TOTP" passings that have happened since the repeats began.

The only "talent" Murs has is his personality. Not the music, or any voice of note. I deplore such mediocrity coming big. Yes, of course the 1970's had plenty of its own too I know!

shame to hear that :( ok, whilst i agree a lot of the x factor lot disappear very quickly and rightly so, murs does seem to have a little bit more going for him, i'm pretty sure he writes or co-writes a lot of his stuff and i think the songs do well on their own merits? and the point i was making is if showaddywaddy had been singing 'dance with me tonight' in 78 none of us would be slagging it off now - would we? certainly a helluva lot better song than 'a little bit of soap' :rolleyes:
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Mind you your knowledge of Nile Rogers suggest you could be a good guy, Chic were very big at this time and disco, of course, is a distant ancestor of the dance music you like now. Actually if you like disco, the 1978 era should suit you, just record the show and skip past the punks( I can't stand them either), the heavy rockers, the ballads and the fifties revivalists.
    Agreed. It's down to this connection that the recent Daft Punk release got a LOT of airplay on Radio 2 - hearing Nile's trademark stuttering Strat lines in there took people like me back to chic's heyday - Dance Dance Dance et al...
  • Options
    Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....>>>>>,,,,,and is one of the "curse of TOTP" passings that have happened since the repeats began.>>>>>

What be the others oh gullible one ?
  • Options
    ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strangely I remember all his 1977 hits but didn't remember this one (similar situation with Brotherhood of Man!). It's actually grown on me, it has a very catchy melody and was so much better without the awful video shown last time it was on TOTP.

ISBOTLIYE is actually my favourite David Soul single and the only one I ever bought on vinyl. Soul's vocals are poor as is the backing singing however the song is fine in my opinion.
    THat was a very poor edition of the pops with the exception of Marshall Hain and ONJ /JT. Pity DLT hadn't been presenting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Yes - I think I heard that once - just goes to show - it's always the quiet ones! :eek:

You're right there - remember old whispering Ted Lowe the snooker commentator? His wife had to wear long sleeved tops as well apparently.
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with this. Looking at a TOTP from 29th April 1971 with Tony Blackburn, the entire show, audience and credits seem to be so much more "hip" than in 1978 by comparison. The audience were better dressed and nicer looking too, or should I say making better use of their looks. Much more care was being taken over appearances all round it seems to me.

BIB - there used to be excellent quality HD copies of this and the Savile hosted edition from 17 June 1971 on YouTube but they must have been removed relatively recently. :(

I just noticed today there is a lower definition copy of the 1 July 1971 show which features Jimmy Savile dressed in an orange 'smiley' T-shirt, orange shorts and orange kneesocks. IMO it's worth taking a look at the opening titles and chart rundown at the beginning of the clip to watch the studio audience dancing to Lobo (Me and You and a Dog named Boo). The shapely charms of the nubile blonde in navy hotpants (who pops up several times during the theme tune at the right hand side of the screen) were not lost on the BBC cameraman as he zoomed in on her swivelling hips, albeit briefly, at 1.01.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKndIYMm9og
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joyce Egg.

If you're going to pretend you're a member of the "yoof community" you're going to have to be more convincing than that. :rolleyes:

Quite.

My friend's 12-year-old daughter is smarter than that. And she's smart enough to like Marc Almond and Primal Scream as well as Plan B and Taylor Swift.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....>>>>>,,,,,and is one of the "curse of TOTP" passings that have happened since the repeats began.>>>>>

What be the others oh gullible one ?

I have no idea what this means. Maybe you would care to explain? :confused:

Servalan, a 12 year old daughter who likes Marc Almond, your friend has brought her up extremely well! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB - there used to be excellent quality HD copies of this and the Savile hosted edition from 17 June 1971 on YouTube but they must have been removed relatively recently. :(

I just noticed today there is a lower definition copy of the 1 July 1971 show which features Jimmy Savile dressed in an orange 'smiley' T-shirt, orange shorts and orange kneesocks. IMO it's worth taking a look at the opening titles and chart rundown at the beginning of the clip to watch the studio audience dancing to Lobo (Me and You and a Dog named Boo). The shapely charms of the nubile blonde in navy hotpants (who pops up several times during the theme tune at the right hand side of the screen) were not lost on the BBC cameraman as he zoomed in on her swivelling hips, albeit briefly, at 1.01.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKndIYMm9og

I've never seen anything from the edition of 17th June 1971, my second birthday.

Liked the 1st July 1971 clip. I had to laugh at a Savile edition, and the first artist who crops up at No30 is Jonathan King too. The song at No1 in that edition, Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep, is infact the song that I consider the very earliest and first one I can ever remember in my head, whether it was really from the age of just 2 or a little bit later on I could not be certain however. I'm not sure we can really recall music from aged 2, even a kiddie sounding catchy pop tune like that one that must have been coming out my young parents radio all summer 1971 as I crawled about!
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    I suppose you go with what defines a decade more, the 60s is more psychedelia to most people, the 70s is a mix of things but progressive and singer-songwriter stuff is to the forefront for many.

But definitely decades are a bit of an arbitary division, it's never so neat as people make out.
    Couldn't you say the reason these decades were good was music was evolving. Compare a TOTP from 1976 to 1979, for example, the 1976 one would be full of disco, ballads, pop and novelty records, the 1979 one show would have a mixture of two tone, the tail end of disco and punk, the mod revival, NWOBHM and synthesiser acts.
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't you say the reason these decades were good was music was evolving. Compare a TOTP from 1976 to 1979, for example, the 1976 one would be full of disco, ballads, pop and novelty records, the 1979 one show would have a mixture of two tone, the tail end of disco and punk, the mod revival, NWOBHM and synthesiser acts.

1979 was not without its novelty records, The Ramblers, Fiddlers Dram, Driver 67, Violinsky, Dickies, The Monks, Kevin Keegan, Quantum Jump, Chas & Dave, Telex and there are more!
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    ISBOTLIYE is actually my favourite David Soul single and the only one I ever bought on vinyl. Soul's vocals are poor as is the backing singing however the song is fine in my opinion.
    THat was a very poor edition of the pops with the exception of Marshall Hain and ONJ /JT. Pity DLT hadn't been presenting.

I agree about the Soul record. It has always been my favourite too, though Silver Lady is a super song.

Tony McCaulay wrote all the hits. This was one of his last. He is still going in Brighton and I believe turned his hand to writing novels or some such.

By all accounts he has some good stories about his songwriting days, although, apparently, he did not make a lot of money.:eek:
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen anything from the edition of 17th June 1971, my second birthday.

I think you may have as you mentioned watching Tami Lynn performing 'I'm Gonna Run Away From You' on TOTP (from 17-06-71) on YouTube 4 days after you joined Digital Spy. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tail end of classic disco, but arguably disco in it's pop disco form really dominated the 80s more than the 70s and so defined that decade more as a dance decade.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    1979 was not without its novelty records, The Ramblers, Fiddlers Dram, Driver 67, Violinsky, Dickies, The Monks, Kevin Keegan, Quantum Jump, Chas & Dave, Telex and there are more!

Err I think I'll pass on Keegan's attempts to be a pop singer, but yes the permed one had a couple of minor hits. I'm sure Brian Clough released a record around this time telling the hooligans to stop fighting, not that it did much good.
    Yet back a bit more on topic, the whole seventies were a decade of rapid change and constant improvement with music. 1970 was vastly different to 1979, for example.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Now the 1980s is "my" decade but TOTP (aside from some of the actual acts) was as clueless as ever - the ridiculous "party" atmosphere, crap as ever djs.The synth-pop, jazz-funk and later house music saved the day though.

But I take exception to you saying the 1970s TOTP's were "staid" (maybe from about 1974) but the (late 60s) and early 1970s are actually exciting and cutting edge and pretty unanimously agreed to be the peak of TOTP's whole run (going by comments on the net by those who know about these things). The dancing and the audiences look like they're the crowd from hip London clubs, the djs are pretty freaky and the whole shows are actually imaginative and "youth" the 1980s TOTP's were about as far from cool to 80s youth as I imagine the 1974-1979 shows were to 70s youth.

I'm not even a massive fan of a lot of the early 1970s music (having said that its better than this punk/new wave crap!) but the shows are great.

I am a curse for leaving out salient points and creating ambiguity when I rattle off sometimes. Entirely my fault here.

I meant the latter 70s and very much in the context of in comparison to a great chunk of the 80s. I certainly wasn't including the glam rock era. I love the freaky-deaky dancing of the audience in the early 70s. I was answering a point about the arrival of C4 having an influence on the show's style in the 80s. I was just saying that TOTP had already made certain changes into the brighter and livelier format before C4's existance.

Canalboy wrote: »
    Davy was never gay, he use to beat his wife up! Mind you, only when she was late with his dinner. Fair play to the blond bombshell.

I'll just defer to an earlier post to explain...
    Don't worry. It was a big joke referring to the last week of the thread. I wasn't being serious. ;)
This discussion has been closed.