• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Funnily enough cuttlefishspike, so was I
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine has been trying to trace her daughter who is almost 50. The agency has traced her adoptive parents who have refused to pass on the letter and details!!!
  • Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many cases this show deals with! I would find it impossible that every single one of the traced people would either want to be on TV or want anything to do with the person that is looking for them!

Someone asked Davina that on Twitter a while back and she responded saying sometimes they do track people down but they don't want to meet up with the person looking. So they don't air it.

Andrea's adopted mum seems lovely, not everyone would be that understanding.
  • Options
    Bradders33Bradders33 Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Are you still in touch? Did you find a connection?

Yes, we are really close. He loves 50 miles away but we are in touch and hook up every few months for drinks.

Sadly our mum was a cow towards him (after saying how much she wanted to find him all those years) and 2 years after I found him, my mum has personal issues and became an alcoholic and as a result made zero effort with him. 😢

My younger brother takes my Mum's word on everything so doesn't really bother with our older brother, they only hook up once a year when our elder brother comes up for my annual birthday drinks that I have with friends.

I am glad I have my big brother though, I sadly don't talk to my mum nowadays, alcohol has made her so nasty towards many people, myself included and my big bro's adoptive parents died when he was a teenager, so having each other is great. 👍
  • Options
    cuttlefishspikecuttlefishspike Posts: 5,761
    Forum Member
    chelleb wrote: »
    Funnily enough cuttlefishspike, so was I

(clicks like)

I hope it worked out well for you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bradders33 wrote: »
    Yes, we are really close. He loves 50 miles away but we are in touch and hook up every few months for drinks.

Sadly our mum was a cow towards him (after saying how much she wanted to find him all those years) and 2 years after I found him, my mum has personal issues and became an alcoholic and as a result made zero effort with him. 😢

My younger brother takes my Mum's word on everything so doesn't really bother with our older brother, they only hook up once a year when our elder brother comes up for my annual birthday drinks that I have with friends.

I am glad I have my big brother though, I sadly don't talk to my mum nowadays, alcohol has made her so nasty towards many people, myself included and my big bro's adoptive parents died when he was a teenager, so having each other is great. 👍

Am glad you have found your family, A pity that your mother has turned out the way she has....
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    LW09 wrote: »
    Someone asked Davina that on Twitter a while back and she responded saying sometimes they do track people down but they don't want to meet up with the person looking. So they don't air it.

Andrea's adopted mum seems lovely, not everyone would be that understanding.

I doubt they'd even make it, let alone air it. Unless the person pulled out at the last minute after they'd filmed the pre-reunion scenes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would like to meet my half brother but he was adopted into a military family and could've ended up anywhere. I wouldn't even know where to start. :(

I found mine through http://www.lookupuk.com/search.html

But if you know his birth name and DOB, try www.findmypast.com, 192.com, BT.com, Facebook, Friends Reunited, Genes Reunited etc.. If I can be of any help, PM me. I also traced my grandad's long lost brother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Am glad you have found your family, A pity that your mother has turned out the way she has....

Thank you. Just a shame my brother didn't get to know my mum before the alcohol changed her. 😔
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    (clicks like)

I hope it worked out well for you :)

Yes it did, It was my mother and we found each other on that site. that was over 10 years ago and she even gave me away when I got married. We have an excellent relationship and its like she has always been there for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine has been trying to trace her daughter who is almost 50. The agency has traced her adoptive parents who have refused to pass on the letter and details!!!

But the daughter is over 18. She can contact her directly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you. Just a shame my brother didn't get to know my mum before the alcohol changed her. 😔

That is very sad. I'm sorry about that ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But the daughter is over 18. She can contact her directly.

She can't get the address, and the only route is via the parents...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is very sad. I'm sorry about that ...

I know, such is life sadly. Thank you.

I'm just glad I've got my brother, as my mum won't accept help or help herself and has been told it will kill her in 12-18 months if she doesn't stop drinking. So I will need his support and he will need mine.
  • Options
    heart of glassheart of glass Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are several starting places but it can be the proverbial needle in a haystack. I was 'discovered' on this site.

http://www.missing-you.net/
    I found mine through http://www.lookupuk.com/search.html

But if you know his birth name and DOB, try www.findmypast.com, 192.com, BT.com, Facebook, Friends Reunited, Genes Reunited etc.. If I can be of any help, PM me. I also traced my grandad's long lost brother.

Thanks for the links. :) It's a difficult situation because my sister and I have always wondered about our brother, but our mum (although she says she thinks about him sometimes) has never expressed any interest in finding him. I don't think I could go behind her back especially because she's said that she probably couldn't deal with meeting him.
  • Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a good feeling about this reunion.

It is inevitably going to cause problems between the birth parents, and the man looking for his mother is going to be rejected again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She can't get the address, and the only route is via the parents...

She will prob be able to track her down by 192.com or on social media, other ways I'm sure. So sad to hear this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the links. :) It's a difficult situation because my sister and I have always wondered about our brother, but our mum (although she says she thinks about him sometimes) has never expressed any interest in finding him. I don't think I could go behind her back especially because she's said that she probably couldn't deal with meeting him.

Maybe you could ask for her blessing to find him for yourselves?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know, such is life sadly. Thank you.

I'm just glad I've got my brother, as my mum won't accept help or help herself and has been told it will kill her in 12-18 months if she doesn't stop drinking. So I will need his support and he will need mine.

That's a real pity. Hope you can persuade her to get help.... How old is she?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She will prob be able to track her down by 192.com or on social media, other ways I'm sure. So sad to hear this.

But she doesn't have her married name and the agency cannot reveal it as her parents aren't willing to give it to them. It's mad as she lives no more than 50 miles away, and she has a half sister who would really love to meet her...
  • Options
    j'aimelatelej'aimelatele Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the only programmes which always make me tearful!!!
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So strange watching series 2, as between series 1 and now my mum traced and met her own birth family! Watching this episode whilst chatting to my lovely newly-found Auntie online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's more
    my friend's daughter has a very unusual name: Thekla and lives in the Manchester area....
    Don't know if DS allows this type of info, so am putting it in spoilers...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's a real pity. Hope you can persuade her to get help.... How old is she?

58.. She nearly died in December from of lack of potassium and heart failing, I managed to get her to hospital in time, she would have died that night if I'd not got her in to A&E that day.

She spent 6 weeks in hospital recovering, she detoxed whilst there, swore blind she wanted to live and to beat it.. But started drinking when she got back out of hospital. No helping her.

Breaks my heart, tried everything I can and its no good. It kills me to watch her do this to herself, so I've walked away. 😢
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's more
    my friend's daughter has a very unusual name: Thekla and lives in the Manchester area....
    Don't know if DS allows this type of info, so am putting it in spoilers...

Christian name?