Options

Carrying on surname really important to men?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    Well in such a case why cant the children take her name? Why is the mans name so special?

Male ownership of the wife is why some men insist her taking their name in marriage and the children likewise.

We`re in the 21st century now people can do whatever they wish
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When we got married, my wife took my name. She wanted to. Had she wanted to keep her old name, then that would have been fine. I wouln't have been keen on a double barrelling of our names - that just seems like being awkward for the sake of it.

We have a daughter. If my wife had kept her old name, and had wanted our daughter to have the same name, then that would have been OK also. It just doesn't matter to me. However, I would have been less likely to have developed a deep, meaningful relationship with someone who insisted on such a thing.

The only reason for everyone in the family having a common name is because it is "normal" and conventional, so I'm happy to go along with that. It makes life easier. It just isn't important.

As i have a daughter, and if she follows the norm and marries and has children, and chooses to take her husbands name, then I expect my name will die. So what?
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a daughter. If my wife had kept her old name, and had wanted our daughter to have the same name, then that would have been OK also. It just doesn't matter to me. However, I would have been less likely to have developed a deep, meaningful relationship with someone who insisted on such a thing.

The only reason for everyone in the family having a common name is because it is "normal" and conventional, so I'm happy to go along with that. It makes life easier. It just isn't important.
    If it isn't important, why would you be less likely to develop a relationship with someone who didn't want themselves and any kids to take your name?

I don't and won't have kids so I don't really have an opinion, except that most of the arguments for kids-should-take-the-guy's-name seem to be pretty dodgy. But I don't have much patience for people doing things because tradition at the best of times, so...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we come up with a gender-neutral naming convention that doesn't prioritise one partner above another other, keeps a link between family members, and doesn't get too unwieldy (like when two double-barrelled people marry and the world explodes)? It's harder than it seems like it should be.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    Can we come up with a gender-neutral naming convention that doesn't prioritise one partner above another other, keeps a link between family members, and doesn't get too unwieldy (like when two double-barrelled people marry and the world explodes)? It's harder than it seems like it should be.

Alternatively, we could just leave a perfectly workable and accepted tradition in place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Alternatively, we could just leave a perfectly workable and accepted tradition in place.

Why?

It used to be tradition to do many things, but we have developed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't get to decide all on your own whether a tradition is workable and accepted. If lots of other people neither accept it nor think it's workable, then it's not workable and accepted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies. Very interesting getting other peoples opinions on the matter :)
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

We can look anyone up if we want to see their ancestry, so we don't really need to carry all that junk around in our names like our ancestors did.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a woman. The kids can have a brand new surname if they wanted. I would not concede on giving up my own surname though. It's mine!
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was never any question of my kids taking my surname.

Ditto my wife.

With a name like Jboobs, I am not surprised:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it isn't important, why would you be less likely to develop a relationship with someone who didn't want themselves and any kids to take your name?

I don't and won't have kids so I don't really have an opinion, except that most of the arguments for kids-should-take-the-guy's-name seem to be pretty dodgy. But I don't have much patience for people doing things because tradition at the best of times, so...

The problem wouldn't be that she wanted our child to have her name, but it would be if her priorities were such that this was critical. I doubt that I would develop close feelings for someone with such a skewed view of what was important IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem wouldn't be that she wanted our child to have her name, but it would be if her priorities were such that this was critical. I doubt that I would develop close feelings for someone with such a skewed view if what was important IMO.

Is your surname classed as important then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »

Not at all.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Not important to me at all. I've had a son, he currently carries my surname but if he announced tomorrow that he's having gender re-assignment surgery and from now on wants to be known as Mindy McMinge then i'd buy him a pint or a babycham and get on with things, if he's happy i'm happy!
  • Options
    BonymoroniBonymoroni Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    My husband is the only one left to carry on his family name. His only uncle had 2 daughters who took on their husbands names so it stopped there and my husband only has a sister who also changed her name when she got married. When I was pregnant with my first child we found out form the scan it was a boy and my husband's grandfather was overjoyed. It was bittersweet as the grandfather passed away when I was about 7 months along but he was thrilled to know his surname was being carried on.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not life and death or very serious but for me it would be important in terms of my family.

The present ones and those who are 6ft under carried the name for generations across Ireland, UK, America and Australia. I would like to think I'm part of a long chain passing it along to the next generation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You don't get to decide all on your own whether a tradition is workable and accepted. If lots of other people neither accept it nor think it's workable, then it's not workable and accepted.

Well, the overwhelming majority of the population are perfectly happy with the tradition and it's not likely to end anytime soon just because a few militant feminists don't like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why?

It used to be tradition to do many things, but we have developed.

This particular tradition is highly unlikely to change since there is no real need for change.

The alternative is a population of children with pretentious doubled-barrelled names.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care about passing on my surname. It's not like you can distinguish my surname from all the other people carrying on the same surname.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would want my child to have my surname.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This particular tradition is highly unlikely to change since there is no real need for change.

The alternative is a population of children with pretentious doubled-barrelled names.

If the alternative was the reality it wouldn't be pretentious any more, because it'd be the norm.

But separately, there's no real need for change because the men who don't care about it don't need to permeate the tradition if they so see fit.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    No not at all in fact I would rather change it well not use my family name anyway.

Plus my surname now is not my birth surname anyway I changed it years ago
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't even discussed between my husband and I - I took his name happily. I like being called 'Mrs'. You can view it as ownership, I look at it as belonging to. I'm more than happy that its apparent that I am his wife and he is my husband.
  • Options
    cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not married but I have two sons. They both have my surname whilst obviously their mother does not.

I didn't insist on it really, but we both accepted that it's generally the done thing for a child to take their father's surname.

For anyone to claim it's sexist and backwards is just feminist bull crap.