Options

Do you shop at Iceland?

swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
Forum Member
And if so what do you make of their food? I think 90% of their own brand food is complete crap especially their ready meals for £1 :<

I only really shop there now for their "Greggs" frozen range.

Comments

• Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy Vimto cordial from there as it is the cheapest place to buy it from and on occasion buy a Victoria sponge (so very light and fluffy) if there are deals on snacks or branded food I will buy from there, but I don't really buy their own brand items so I can't say what they are like.
  • Options
    pink star 28pink star 28 Posts: 1,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if so what do you make of their food? I think 90% of their own brand food is complete crap especially their ready meals for £1 :<

I only really shop there now for their "Greggs" frozen range.

what's the greggs frozen range like?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    what's the greggs frozen range like?

Surprisingly good their sausage rolls, steak/chicken bakes etc taste exactly like the ones you get fresh in the store.
  • Options
    pink star 28pink star 28 Posts: 1,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprisingly good their sausage rolls, steak/chicken bakes etc taste exactly like the ones you get fresh in the store.

I never shop at iceland normally but I might have to pop in and try the greggs stuff.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shop at Iceland every week I dont buy the £1 ready meals but I buy pretty much everything else they sell. I think their own brand food is good, the frozen mince has barely any fat and sometimes even no fat coming out of it and I regularly buy chicken for making currys etc.

Forgot to add that their Indian and Chinese Takeaway range is lovely as is the Greggs products.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like the Iceland Quarter pounders, they said 100% British now and I know they are cheap at £1 but I've bought them twice now and really like them. Yes they are the same range that got caught up in the horsemeat scandal but I was curious.

They also do Kiwi 4 pack for 50p which is the best bargain ever, praying them keep doing it.

I only use Iceland to save money and to buy one item now and again. I do feel guilty buying food from them though which is the sense I get from the OP's question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    curvybabes wrote: »
    I shop at Iceland every week I dont buy the £1 ready meals but I buy pretty much everything else they sell. I think their own brand food is good, the frozen mince has barely any fat and sometimes even no fat coming out of it and I regularly buy chicken for making currys etc.

Forgot to add that their Indian and Chinese Takeaway range is lovely as is the Greggs products.

I don't mind their Indian range tikka masala.

I don't think I would ever buy frozen mince anywhere though.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I hardly ever buy frozen stuff to be honest and I'd never buy frozen meat, I never buy any ready meals either. The only frozen stuff I buy is frozen peas and oven chips (for if I can't be bothered making a proper potato accompaniment), My freezer contains more vodka and ice cream than it does anything else.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes.

I do like the £1 lasagne although I haven't had one in ages. Milk at £1 for 4 pints is a good deal. Their bananas and tomatoes for a quid are pretty much the same as the other two supermarkets I may shop in. Prefer their frozen peas to Tesco, about the same as Asda. Frozen chicken breast at £4 are the same at all 3 places to me so I'll sometimes get it there.

Chicken portions on the bone I buy for the dog. Will eat them too, but the dog has a chicken based diet and goes through a lot. At £3 for 1.9kg they're alright compared to Tesco at £3.50 for 2kg or Asda at £1.69 for 1kg. You do seem to get more wings, mind, so potentially more bone and less meat. I'll inspect the packets closely if getting them from there and try to get a bag with fewer wings in if possible.

Think that's about it, it's ok.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont shop at Iceland ..... because i have no idea where there is one around here. I haven't seen one.

I used to shop there occasionally when i lived in Wickford as they had a shop in the high street. Their cornettos were delish. I loved the chocolate and nut ones. I never bought very much, but some of their stuff was excellent and cheap. I would definately shop there occasionally if there was a local store.
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. No one is ever going to convince me that frozen food that cost £1 is anything but poor quality and not very good for you. Greggs bakery products are rank, fat laden crap so the fact that Iceland versions tastes the same is not a selling point for me.

Lots of people are hard up now days so I can kind of see why they do shop there. Its just not for me.
  • Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its good enough for Kerry Katona....
  • Options
    manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only like their own make duck spring rolls and the battered tempura prawns. Everything else I've had has been crap as you say.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I regularly shop at Iceland, and I think most of their food is fine.
    I like their curries (£1.50) and their Pilau rice (£1).
    There are a lot of food snobs on here !
    I bet a lot of them do actually shop here, but god forbid they admit it to their equally snooty friends ! :D
    I tend to get the heavy stuff from Iceland (free delivery !) and get the light stuff from Asda - they are across the pavement from each other in Birkenhead.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    No, I hardly ever buy frozen stuff to be honest and I'd never buy frozen meat, I never buy any ready meals either. The only frozen stuff I buy is frozen peas and oven chips (for if I can't be bothered making a proper potato accompaniment), My freezer contains more vodka and ice cream than it does anything else.

I,ll often get a delivery and the only frozen thing is a bag of oven chips, they sell a lot more than just frozen, I like the sound of your freezer though :)
    I regularly shop at Iceland, and I think most of their food is fine.
    I like their curries (£1.50) and their Pilau rice (£1).
    There are a lot of food snobs on here !
    I bet a lot of them do actually shop here, but god forbid they admit it to their equally snooty friends ! :D
    I tend to get the heavy stuff from Iceland (free delivery !) and get the light stuff from Asda - they are across the pavement from each other in Birkenhead.

I think you could be right
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i do my monthly grocery shopping there :o..i find it cheaper than anywhere else
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the prawn party platter and the prawn ring :D
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. I've walked round it but as I'm not into eating a lot of processed food, which they seem to sell a lot of, I've never felt the need to buy, or go back.

I'm an Asda girl.
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their battered fish is surprisingly good- £3 for 5 portions.
    I buy their fresh spinach for my piggies and rabbit. Its half price compared to the local sainsburies.
    Their mint choc chip ice cream is fantastic, and its the only place I know that sells chocolate ice cream on its own.
    They do lovely cross cross potato things(taste like waffles) which I use as a chip variation for our sausages and baked bean meals.
    Not a fan of their chicken portions/breasts. They seem dry compared to other places.
    I love their frozen veggies, their peas seem so full of flavour.
    The kids like their pizza's (not a fan of pizza so I get scrambled egg on toast for the pizza meals. The eggs are good value too)
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have done in the past (it's a bit of a pain being the other side of town from the free parking for me to go often now) and never had a problem. Their "luxury" ice cream was lovely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've bought a few BBQ things from there but I didn't like them, found them too chewy and bland
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,643
    Forum Member
    No, I shop at Sainsbury's and Waitrose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    I like there cadburys chocolate roll and there milk, they used to do nice chicken wings spicy things . I dont mind the shop the till people seem to know there job and are not slovenly like big supermarkets.
  • Options
    Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    200g jars of Maxwell House coffee are nearly half the price of Tesco. Also, their Mr Kipling cakes are far cheaper, and Iceland's the only place in town I can get McVities chocolate sponges.

The frozen stuff is crap though. Had a cheesecake from there once. It was awful.
  • Options
    manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the prawn party platter and the prawn ring :D

The prawn ring's nice but shrinks every year. :D