Options

Madonna Appreciation Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    The ranking of my favourite to least favourite of her tours are:

1: Confessions Tour - Epic tour 10/10. The era I discovered Madonna. Highlights, Future Lovers/I Feel Love, Get Together, Like a Virgin, Forbidden Love, Sorry, Drowned World/Substitute for love

2. Sticky & Sweet Tour - Good Tour 8/10. Highlights, Vogue, Into the Groove, Holiday, You Must Love Me, 4 Minutes, Like a Prayer

3. Re-Invention Tour - Good Tour 8/10. Highlights, Material Girl, Hollywood, Nothing Fails, Like a Prayer, Crazy for You

4. Who's That Girl Tour - Good Tour 7/10. Highlights, Open Your Heart, Papa Don't Preach, The Look of Love, Who's That Girl

5. Blonde Ambition Tour - Average Tour 5/10. Highlights, Open Your Heart, Papa Don't Preach

6. Like a Virgin Tour - Average Tour 5/10. Highlights, Dress You Up, Borderline, Like a Virgin

7. Drowned World Tour- Average Tour 4/10. Highlights, Drowned World/Substitute For Love, Sky Fits Heaven, I Deserve It

8. MDNA Tour - Least Favourite 3/10 Highlights, Girl Gone Wild, Gang Bang, Papa Don't Preach, Like a Prayer
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,173
    Forum Member
    interesting matt22-87 ...is that based on live attendance or dvd viewing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think I have found the perfect Madonna Producer collab for her next album - Air!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1: Confessions Tour - Epic tour 10/10. The era I discovered Madonna. Highlights, Future Lovers/I Feel Love, Get Together, Like a Virgin, Forbidden Love, Sorry, Drowned World/Substitute for love

2. Sticky & Sweet Tour - Good Tour 8/10. Highlights, Vogue, Into the Groove, Holiday, You Must Love Me, 4 Minutes, Like a Prayer

3. Re-Invention Tour - Good Tour 8/10. Highlights, Material Girl, Hollywood, Nothing Fails, Like a Prayer, Crazy for You

4. Who's That Girl Tour - Good Tour 7/10. Highlights, Open Your Heart, Papa Don't Preach, The Look of Love, Who's That Girl

5. Blonde Ambition Tour - Average Tour 5/10. Highlights, Open Your Heart, Papa Don't Preach

6. Like a Virgin Tour - Average Tour 5/10. Highlights, Dress You Up, Borderline, Like a Virgin

7. Drowned World Tour- Average Tour 4/10. Highlights, Drowned World/Substitute For Love, Sky Fits Heaven, I Deserve It

8. MDNA Tour - Least Favourite 3/10 Highlights, Girl Gone Wild, Gang Bang, Papa Don't Preach, Like a Prayer

:eek::eek::eek::mad::eek::cry:

That tour is the tourmost world tour are held in regard to...it is the status setter :eek: my lawwwwdy!

Ah well, diffrnt strokes for diffrnt folks :cool::cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I have found the perfect Madonna Producer collab for her next album - Air!

Now i have heard of them, they are similar to Baords Of Canada and ROyksopp arent they with a kinda Mid-Tempo Electronica style....could be cool but i guess it depends which direction M will want to take after this....Electronica she has perfected i do think she may want to revisit the old skool pop/Rock concepts she had in the early - mid 00s. We will see however.

But if she was to venture there then would be a cool choice.

Listening to Charlie XCX, Solange and Jessie Ware over the past couple days and really think these drives are so damn cool.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with your rankings, except I'd put MDNA above Re-Invention.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great idea! I'm a huge fan of Air.

I would rank the tours like this. ( Matt22101987's list for some reason left out the Girlie Show, which I think is a very strong show with really good vocals and great concepts and you should watch on DVD if you like the Erotica era. I can't forget that one because it was the first tour I actually saw in person.)

1. Blonde Ambition
    2. MDNA
    3. Confessions
    4. Girlie Show
    5. RIT
    6. Drowned World
    7. Sticky and Sweet
    8. Who's that Girl
    9. Like A Virgin
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member

Cool band, they would work so well with M!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Great idea! I'm a huge fan of Air.

I would rank the tours like this. ( Matt22101987's list for some reason left out the Girlie Show, which I think is a very strong show with really good vocals and great concepts and you should watch on DVD if you like the Erotica era. I can't forget that one because it was the first tour I actually saw in person.)

1. Blonde Ambition
    2. MDNA
    3. Confessions
    4. Girlie Show
    5. RIT
    6. Drowned World
    7. Sticky and Sweet
    8. Who's that Girl
    9. Like A Virgin

Yeah i ranked them near enough like this :D...and i too feel the girlie show is amazing...do wish it had more Erotica album songs on it but alas <3
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only tour of Madonnas I have always been a bit off with is The Girlie Show

I thought the theme was not representive of the album theme. I don't know if the public outcry and controversey stopped her from doing something risky, but at times it seemed a bit too camp and a bit silly for an album as serious and dark as Erotica. Especially with the costumes and big hair. I think the theme would of worked for an earlier tour.

If i had my way, it would of been set in Sex Dungeon and it begins with the words "My Name Is Dita, welcome to my dungeon, i will be your mistress tonight". Dita takes you on a journey of exploring love, sex and learning to accept ourselves in our mind and bodies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Oh I forgot about that one! It's really interesting how different era's of Madonna's music appeals more to different people. There's such a massive variety of music to choose from!

I'm not as familiar with the tours before Drowned World and have only seen them on rough videos on Youtube, It is such a shame, because I love watching her tours on DVD/Blu-Ray and I really wish they would release a special remastered box set of all of her tours on DVD/Blu-Ray so fans could watch and enjoy them all. When I bought the Confessions DVD I played it so many times that I learnt the words to the songs in no time lol. But I'll always hold on to hope that all of her tours will be released sooner or later....
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only tour of Madonnas I have always been a bit off with is The Girlie Show

I thought the theme was not representive of the album theme. I don't know if the public outcry and controversey stopped her from doing something risky, but at times it seemed a bit too camp and a bit silly for an album as serious and dark as Erotica. Especially with the costumes and big hair. I think the theme would of worked for an earlier tour.

If i had my way, it would of been set in Sex Dungeon and it begins with the words "My Name Is Dita, welcome to my dungeon, i will be your mistress tonight". Dita takes you on a journey of exploring love, sex and learning to accept ourselves in our mind and bodies.

some criticism of her at that time was that the erotica album made her one dimensional, which without actually listening to the album, i could understand that viewpoint to a degree. however, all her shows are multi themed and i personally think it could have been too heavy without the lighter themes for balance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I forgot about that one! It's really interesting how different era's of Madonna's music appeals more to different people. There's such a massive variety of music to choose from!

I'm not as familiar with the tours before Drowned World and have only seen them on rough videos on Youtube, It is such a shame, because I love watching her tours on DVD/Blu-Ray and I really wish they would release a special remastered box set of all of her tours on DVD/Blu-Ray so fans could watch and enjoy them all. When I bought the Confessions DVD I played it so many times that I learnt the words to the songs in no time lol. But I'll always hold on to hope that all of her tours will be released sooner or later....

Yes, that's true. Every Madonna fan has their favorite era and Madonna fans have such different tastes. I only really got into her with Like A Prayer. I'm sure that the Like A Virgin and Who's that Girl tours have their strong points, but they took place before I really got into her as much. Watching them on DVD is great, but it's not the same as seeing them live. As you can see from my list, I tend to favor her more recent tours because I've experienced them live. But I had to put Blonde Ambition first because it's so iconic. I love Truth or Dare, but I really want a DVD of the whole show which I actually haven't seen in its entirety.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blond AMbition needs mastering and put on DVD/Blu Ray please please please :)))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that's true. Every Madonna fan has their favorite era and Madonna fans have such different tastes. I only really got into her with Like A Prayer. I'm sure that the Like A Virgin and Who's that Girl tours have their strong points, but they took place before I really got into her as much. Watching them on DVD is great, but it's not the same as seeing them live. As you can see from my list, I tend to favor her more recent tours because I've experienced them live. But I had to put Blonde Ambition first because it's so iconic. I love Truth or Dare, but I really want a DVD of the whole show which I actually haven't seen in its entirety.

Go on you tube if you wanna see the whole show. There are 4/5 different recordings of the Blonde ambition show. The best i always found is the Japan one.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erotica is Madonna's most creative era ever in my opinion. She really did something amazing there. Sex should have killed her career but it didn't. It took her from being a pop icon to being a pop legend.The American media are just so scared of anything sex that they couldn't handle a woman doing the things Madonna was doing.

All that said I agree with Little Monster. The Girly Show does not showcase the era the way it should be showcased. This could be for a number of reasons. Touring so many countries with a strong sex theme could have created lots of problems given different laws on what is and isn't acceptable. So its possible she was forced to strip it back from her vision. I always felt it lacked that special kick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy the Girlie show, but the one thing I didn't care for was the version of Like A Virgin in the German accent. I know it was supposed to be funny, but I find it annoying. For a re-thought LIke A Virgin, I much prefer the version on MDNA.
    But I do think musically, the Girlie show was great, if maybe it could have better from a concept point of view. The music had more of a band/live sound than some of her more recent tours which are more electronic and programmed. Her vocals were fantastic and almost all live.
    I think the Girlie show may be a little forgotten especially among US fans because she only did a very limited number of dates there. The backlash against her was strongest in the US because people tend to be more uptight about sex there so I guess that was why she didn't do many dates there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy the Girlie show, but the one thing I didn't care for was the version of Like A Virgin in the German accent. I know it was supposed to be funny, but I find it annoying. For a re-thought LIke A Virgin, I much prefer the version on MDNA.
    But I do think musically, the Girlie show was great, if maybe it could have better from a concept point of view. The music had more of a band/live sound than some of her more recent tours which are more electronic and programmed. Her vocals were fantastic and almost all live.
    I think the Girlie show may be a little forgotten especially among US fans because she only did a very limited number of dates there. The backlash against her was strongest in the US because people tend to be more uptight about sex there so I guess that was why she didn't do many dates there.

omg, that was bad and i cannot bear that version.:eek: i remember understanding it was a parody, but assumed at some stage during the song she would stop and sing the song properly. i can now appreciate that the performance was in keeping with the cabaret theme, but it was definitely a low point of the show.:o my favourite tour version of "like a virgin" has to be "the blond ambition" version, just an amazing reinterpretation.

"the girlie show tour" will always be special to me, because it was the first live concert i ever attended and it was extremely enjoyable. however, "the blond ambition tour" was so iconic and such a game changer, i think she struggled top herself so soon afterwards. the press in the uk went to town on that show, because along with her under performing album, it did seem like her bubble had burst. the concert reviews were ridiculously over the top though and the show was well received by the audience, it just wasn't as innovative as her last tour.

i do also agree about the live feel of the show, aided by the presence of a live band, i think that aspect can be lacking from her later tours, where she continued to push forward theatrics over the traditional way of presenting a live concert show.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Someone's just started another unpopular opinions thread and right royally bashed M and her fans and I am fed up with it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone's just started another unpopular opinions thread and right royally bashed M and her fans and I am fed up with it!

i saw that and also saw through the not so subtle digs against her fans. its like that recent thread about the most popular 90s female artist that i refused to be drawn into, predictable, purposely negative and economical with the truth. i am so glad i didn't post my intended reply in that thread and the topic quickly disappeared without clocking up many posts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seeing live the Re-invention tour was her best. She interacted so well with the crowd and it was so spectacular from the yoga poses and amazing backdrop scene screens and some stripped back performances that were deeply emotional. Confessions was my second favourite live. Sticky and Sweet first leg was very - going through motions - for Madonna. But the second leg was much warmer and she was more interactive. MDNA tour was epic but the UK venues were dire. Blonde Ambition and The Girlie show are groundbreaking.

so for me
    1. Reinvention Tour
    2. Blonde Ambition
    3. Confessions
    4. Girlie Show
    5. Drowned world
    6. MDNA
    7. Who's That Girl
    8. Sticky and Sweet
    9. Virgin Tour
  • Options
    Forum Member
    but admittedly the blu ray/dvd or tv versions make the following tours look the best

1. Confessions
    2. Sticky and Sweet
    3. Drowned World
    4. Girlie Show
    5. Blonde Ambition
    6. Who's that girl
    7. Virgin tour

can't comment on reinvention as a complete version isnt available. Equally, i have not seen the MDNA epic version yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A happy 27th Birthday to TRUE BLUE!! Retro should be happy...finally a day to blast the album RMF ;) hehehe :D

And you have to laugh at those criticising M and indeed fans...i mean...if it affects their lives and all that....they are the ones missing out :)
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw that thread too and couldn't be arsed to reply. While its true some Madonna tracks from the early 90s haven't aged good. Most of her 80s pop sounds as relevant today as it did then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw that thread and did reply stating I would go to bed and cry over that comment said about Madonna. I went to bed and did not cry, but kinda hit my pillow. No point in making an argument about on there but there is a difference between stating an opinion and being damn right ignorant, and that thread is ignorant in some ways. I am a not a fan of the beatles but i am gonna not gonna slag them off because i respect, appreciate and know very well what an impact they have had on the music industry.

and thank you for agreeing, hit em up style