Options

Channel 4 to broadcast daily Muslim call to prayer

AdsAds Posts: 37,134
Forum Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2353250/Channel-4-broadcast-daily-Muslim-prayer-Ramadan-month.html

I suspect this is more of a PR stunt by Channel 4 rather than any meaningful attempt to start investing in religious programming. I don't have a problem with it though, it can broadcast what it wants, and the market place will decide whether to support it - via commercial sales and viewing figures. I don't exact this to be much of a ratings winner though!

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm never going to watch Channel 4 ever again.
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..As much as I dislike Islam this is going to be hilarious
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    And so it begins...
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it`s a sad state of affairs when such a thing is news.
  • Options
    Forum Member

This is general discussion.
    Or General Panic Stations...
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's at 3am, so who cares? I wonder if they'll use the Cat Stevens version of the Adhan?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    Or General Panic Stations...

That's about right :)

I suspect we'll have GD's EDL fanboys along soon to tell us that we're all going to be islamificated or something like that. Can't really see a problem though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4's desperation continues. Are they going to put the word 'documentary' on the programme name? I'm looking forward to the big swap night - Celebrities with embarrassing big testicles come dine with me then answer call to dogging in a certain location location location...heartwarming 'documentary'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's about right :)

I suspect we'll have GD's EDL fanboys along soon to tell us that we're all going to be islamificated or something like that. Can't really see a problem though.

This is ch4 going back to what they were originally created for, and that was not pandering to the DM audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Channel 4's desperation continues. Are they going to put the word 'documentary' on the programme name? I'm looking forward to the big the big swap night - Celebrities with embarrassing big testicles come dine with me then answer call to dogging in a certain location location location.

Desperation for what? Viewers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desperation for what? Viewers?

Yes..

Keep on trying, I'm sure you'll hit the argument jackpot before 10am ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes..

Keep on trying, I'm sure you'll hit the argument jackpot before 10am ;)

I see where you're coming from. Trying to get more Muslims to watch Come Dine with Me is all part of the master plan!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is ch4 going back to what they were originally created for, and that was not pandering to the DM audience.

Exactly. They've got a long history of "diverse" programming along these lines which I'm sure will be conveniently forgotten whilst the outrage reaches fever pitch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly. They've got a long history of "diverse" programming along these lines which I'm sure will be conveniently forgotten whilst the outrage reaches fever pitch.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers when they started out.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,134
    Forum Member
    The response on the DM comments is hardly a surprise, but its not as if Channel 4 is broadcasting 'Behead the Infidel' - its just a religious call for prayer. BBC1 broadcasts Songs of Praise every week and the occasional church service on religious dates - so I can't see a problem with other religions getting a look in.
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what time they plan on showing this? A lot of children, and some grown people too, find Islamic wailing quite terrifying, particular during recent years with all the terrible connotations associated with such things.
  • Options
    Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C4 lost the plot as a serious broadcaster moons ago. This is sheer desperation.

Maybe a Muslim version of Loose Women with a stoning each episode, that'll get viewers.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    I wonder what time they plan on showing this? A lot of children, and some grown people too, find Islamic wailing quite terrifying, particular during recent years with all the terrible connotations associated with such things.

3am...

terrifying?????
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,330
    Forum Member

Exactly. Who cares. Benny Hinn and all those money grabbing televangelists are things that should be off tv screens.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what time they plan on showing this?

3am, apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it's compulsory to watch channel 4.
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3am...

Ah that's ok then, well after the watershed, and just a few stoned students will be watching I'd imagine.
  • Options
    CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the Daily Mail reactionary type response but I can actually for once understand it in a way. I do think this is a seriously awful move on C4's part given the religious tensions in this country at the moment. They must surely know that far from educating anyone it will just raise people's anger levels even further. I know in the past C4 have enjoyed playing the part of the wind-up merchant but this is the wrong subject, at the wrong time, and I am shocked they are actually allowed to do this.

I have never been more unimpressed with a broadcaster in my life. I'll go as far to say I'm disgusted.
  • Options
    Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't worry you'll be OK.
  • Options
    Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no ones mentioned C4+1.....