Options

Will Adeles 'Someone Like You' be a classic?

Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having seen a thread on Rihannas 'Stay' being remembered or not I thought I'd ask if SLY, a much more well known ballad would.

It's the most downloaded song ever in the UK, was the first piano only ballad to go to number one in the US and was generally just an enormous hit.

With its constant bludgeoning on talent shows and use in other media could it be called a classic already? Or has it actually been forgotten?

Comments

• Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Rolling In The Deep has a better chance of being remembered and revered as SLY has been somewhat overplayed. Not that RITD hasn't but to asomewhat lesser extent.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I think both RITD and SLY will be seen as classics in the years to come.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it already is to be honest, Plus its timeless so no matter what music trends come and go, the song will always be relevant.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    actually according to ppl, "rolling in the deep" was played more than "someone like you" in the uk during 2011. according to their findings even "set fire to the rain" received more combine plays, but of course all three songs had huge exposure. i think ultimately all three songs will remembered, but "someone like you" will always be remembered here for that brits performance, while "rolling in the deep" will be considered her biggest hit worldwide.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I definitely think it'll be remembered.

Although there are some songs which get SO big that it ends up hurting their legacy a bit, and Someone Like You might be one of those (at least in the UK).
  • Options
    swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Probaly an unpopular opinion but I think its a boring song.

I did like Skyfall though.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It's possible that both it and Rolling In The Deep will become classics in the future as they've been both overplayed and had a lot of exposure worldwide.
  • Options
    umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without a doubt I think Rolling In The Deep and Someone Like You will both be referred to as classic songs in years to come. The over exposure and masses of critical and commercial success of these two songs ensures this their classic status.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Don't get me wrong I liked Adele at the start as well as that song but with the amount of times it has been played If I hear any more Adele I might be sick. Too much of one thing :(
  • Options
    tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's pretty immortalised in the world of music now thanks to 007.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probaly an unpopular opinion but I think its a boring song.

I did like Skyfall though.

If there is a dreary Bond song it must be Skyfall.

I think Someone Like You will be the most remembered of Adele's songs but that they won't age quite as well as people think.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Macers_b wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong I liked Adele at the start as well as that song but with the amount of times it has been played If I hear any more Adele I might be sick. Too much of one thing :(

This. I would prefer RITD and SFTTR tbh. I think they're far more interesting musically. I find the song boring now. I did like it when she sang it at the Brits, but I haven't hammered it on my ipod since.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,407
    Forum Member
    No

Very little of modern music will endure.

Skyfall is the most likely Adele song to stand the test of time, simply because of its connection to James Bond.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with the majority of other people in this thread and say that both RITD and SLY will more than likely be remembered in years to come.
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In years to come it'll be as greatly appreciated as that other mega selling, horseshit, whine filled ballad, 'You're Beautiful' by James Blunt.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    much as i like Adele i never took to SLY, it's too obvious for my taste. RITD is far more the Adele i want to hear and is far more likely to be remembered as a classic
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like ballads if they aren't done in an over-sentimental or clichéd way. I could listen to Elton John's Your Song or Blue Eyes any time. But SLY falls into the cheesy camp like that sentimental dirge Lady In Red. But then a lot of people think that's a classic too. Not for me.
  • Options
    jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I certainly hope not. Awful dirge sung by an awful woman
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 51,008
    Forum Member
    It's been played and hyped to death, so probably.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    It's been played and hyped to death, so probably.

It's been played so much that if I hear it once more I'll scream :mad: I can't stand it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be remembered mainly because the album was such a big seller.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me she just sounds ever so slightly drunk and maudlin on SLY. What's the one that goes 'we could have had it all, woooooah', is that Rolling In The Deep? That has far more fire IMHO.
  • Options
    THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most songs now are not memorable like the 80's 90's.

Adele...I just think a cute chubby girl who's album has sold heaps....yet I don't know any songs :(
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It probably will, but I don't think it really deserves to be. It's not that great. In fact I find Adele very overrated. She can sing, there's no doubting that, but her songwriting is nothing to write home about IMHO.
  • Options
    WHATEVER MANWHATEVER MAN Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Hopefully no.