Options

Anybody know what Dyspraxia is?

frenchie21frenchie21 Posts: 529
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey there people...

Just thought I would ask if you know what Dyspraxia is because it is something I have and I hear it isn't that well known...Do you guys know what it is? I am 28 now and I have had it (Diagnosed when I was 7 or 8 years old) But I don't mind having it :)

Thanks for your input :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me. I have it! :p
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    All I know is that my brother has it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me. I have it! :p

So are you a guy or a girl & if so where are you in the UK? I am Greater London :)
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Aye, I've worked with a couple of kids with Dyspraxia.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kinda know what it is but I have more general knowledge about dyslexia, Aspergers and ADHD.
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may have it?... I have trouble using my hands like tying things together etc like knots... and don't hold a pen correctly and I draw like 10 year old as well? ... Are these symptoms... Also panic with directions
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frenchie21 wrote: »
    So are you a guy or a girl & if so where are you in the UK? I am Greater London :)

I'm a guy, I don't post my location though :) (but it is the UK lol)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may have it?... I have trouble using my hands like tying things together etc like knots... and don't hold a pen correctly and I draw like 10 year old as well? ... Are these symptoms... Also panic with directions

Yeah definitely, I have most of those traits too.
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son has verbal dyspraxia and mild autism
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes they are classic symptoms :) At least for me anyway, But yeah I share the symptoms you mentioned :)
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Actually, my brother has both dyspraxia and ADD- I'm not sure whether or not they're linked
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daniel radcliffe has dyspraxia

Is driving hard with Dyspraxia? .. I haven't learnt yet
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Google is your friend
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google is your friend

They weren't asking what it is, I'm sure they were asking if the 'general public' (DS) knows what it is.
  • Options
    blackmagicblackmagic Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I know what it is. Reduced ability to make skilled, co-ordinated movements. I don't know anyone with it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blackmagic wrote: »
    Yes, I know what it is. Reduced ability to make skilled, co-ordinated movements. I don't know anyone with it though.

It's not something you notice
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes I have heard of it, and googled it before today.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    my son has it along with autism and ADHD, and hypermobility

it isnt well known, Daniel Radcliffe has it!

it was hard to find out about when he was diagnosed, the dyspraxia foundation arent all that helpful
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what it is, my housemate has it
  • Options
    Forum Member

hows your spacial awareness

it also gets called DCD - developmental coordination disorder

its another LD like autism and ADHD that Joe Public think just disappears when the person reaches 18.....it doesnt!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    hows your spacial awareness

it also gets called DCD - developmental coordination disorder

its another LD like autism and ADHD that Joe Public think just disappears when the person reaches 18.....it doesnt!

it's fine... I only have a mild form of it..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it's fine... I only have a mild form of it..

I was just going to say we were advised to take my son to martial arts to help develop his spacial awareness, and it has helped some
  • Options
    shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son has it. He got extra time in his gcse's and a levels and gets disabled students allowance now he is at uni. He still gets extra time plus uses a keyboard in exams. It affects himself socially as well as physically.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    It used to be called clumsiness.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Dyspraxia, was diagnosed when in primary, and had to have a scribe when doing my GCSE's and a special computer thing cos my handwriting is almost completely illegible, was really embarrassing having to do the tests segregated from everyone or getting the machine out in the classrooms.

There's more too it though than the hand to eye coordination, forgetfulness is one of my main problems associated with it making cooking or shopping harder, I'm constantly forgetting things from the shop or missing out salt or some other vital ingredient from the dish until its too late or most of the time I lose something I just had 2 seconds ago. I struggle getting to sleep too cos my brain doesn't like to shut off and keeps going 100 miles an hour. Hand to eye coordination does come into though and I'm crap at sports or anything that requires precision and I'm constantly tripping, falling over and just general clumsiness.

Don't think I would have the confidence to drive with too many things to concentrate on.
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    It used to be called clumsiness.

Used to be known as Clumsy Child Syndrome