Options

Asian TV channell fined £85000

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Quote: They were fined by `OFCOM` after an Islamic Scholar claimed Muslims had `a Duty to Kill` anyone who insulted the Prophet Muhammad in a live lecture on DM Digital programme. Ofcom regulator said the programme was likely to encourage or incite the commission of crime (something of an understatement). Unquote:
All in the name of the `Peaceful Religion` I presume, Isn't the `Hypocritical Religion` more appropriate.
No doubt the EDL comments will come pouring in, unpleasant lot that they are, there has been No reports of them being responsible for any UK murders. Justified or Otherwise..:sleep::sleep:

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incitement to murder.

Bunch of loonies, frankly.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Quote: They were fined by `OFCOM` after an Islamic Scholar claimed Muslims had `a Duty to Kill` anyone who insulted the Prophet Muhammad in a live lecture on DM Digital programme. Ofcom regulator said the programme was likely to encourage or incite the commission of crime (something of an understatement). Unquote:
    All in the name of the `Peaceful Religion` I presume, Isn't the `Hypocritical Religion` more appropriate.
    No doubt the EDL comments will come pouring in, unpleasant lot that they are, there has been No reports of them being responsible for any UK murders. Justified or Otherwise..:sleep::sleep:

I would have closed it down
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    So it's not just via radio that they broadcast their hatred.

'Muslim radio station fined for saying gay people should be tortured'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9698967/Muslim-radio-station-fined-for-saying-gay-people-should-be-tortured.html
  • Options
    WHATEVER MANWHATEVER MAN Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Yeah because I'm sure that speaks for the other millions of muslims around the world
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah because I'm sure that speaks for the other millions of muslims around the world

It may not speak for them but it definitely speaks to them

'It is available on Sky in the UK and via other satellite platforms across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia'.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »

Seems a bit overkill to close down a channel because of something someone said on it. God, if that were the case, most channels would have been closed down a long time ago!
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,419
    Forum Member
    As I said in this thread here, http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1848599, the fine should have been much higher and any future transgressions should result in the instant termination of the channel's broadcasting licence. No UK TV channel or radio station should be allowed to incite hate or promote murder.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/07/muslim-tv-station-fined-for-allowing-contributor-to-incite-murder
    Terry Sanderson, President of the National Secular Society, said: "Inciting murder is against the law. Why aren't the police knocking on Mr Jilani's door? Why is he not under arrest? Surely he cannot be allowed to get away with such blatant call to kill innocent people? Other people have been sent to prison for far less than this."

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on the context but that seems a very small fine. I don't agree with prosecuting individuals for hate speech except in rare cases, but I do agree with fines for broadcasters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it £85,000 per word, they want to watch what they say.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you really do think this is what any more than a minority of Muslims think, then you don't really understand Muslims at all.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Preachers of hate who spread their violent word on British TV channels

Muslim fundamentalists have used British television channels to preach in favour of violent crime and killing “apostates”.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/9859804/Preachers-of-hate-who-spread-their-violent-word-on-British-TV-channels.html

What shall we have a
    Debate on why this has been allowed to happen and why no viewers complained
    or
    How much we hate the EDL?

I really hate the EDL
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Why is this left to OFCOM; what are the Police doing about this stuff?

Most Muslims would support the law being enforced I have no doubt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    If you really do think this is what any more than a minority of Muslims think, then you don't really understand Muslims at all.

It isn't a case of what muslims think but what is being said on broadcast tv.

Do you have any comments on that?
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do these people get so upset if you insult their "prophet", i.e. some imaginary dude? Are they insecure or something? Didn't get enough cuddles as kids maybe?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Who said they did; why not address the issue being discussed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    It depends on the context but that seems a very small fine. I don't agree with prosecuting individuals for hate speech except in rare cases, but I do agree with fines for broadcasters.

The chap is inciting murder that is against the law. Do you think the law should be applied in this case?
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »

I would have prosecuted.

I thought hate crimes were illegal.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    The chap is inciting murder that is against the law. Do you think the law should be applied in this case?

Depends on the context but I'd say it was a fair enough candidate.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The station accepted that it had breached the broadcasting code, but argued that it had not been deliberate and that it had issued an apology the following day, tightened up its editorial guidelines and dismissed those responsible for the programme's content.

It also pointed out that the scholar had previously been a guest and had "never expressed such views previously", and that he will never be invited back again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23203390

Yet again, reading further into the story reveals some useful information.

Sounds like the imam in question was at fault. The channel admit it was wrong and I think most Muslims (and most people) would agree that it was wrong. I think it was wrong too, to make it clear. The imam won't be invited back. Those who produced the show were sacked.

I know it won't be enough for some of you hardline anti-Muslims (nothing ever will be - I learned that a long time ago) but I think this was a reasonable response by the channel and I think most of us will agree.

Ultimately it's not about stopping them from having a podium to spout their evil, it's about removing the reason for fundamentalism to thrive in Islam.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    Depends on the context but I'd say it was a fair enough candidate.

In what context is incitement to murder OK then?
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    That seems to be the default excuse whenever Muslims do anything wrong in the name of their religion.

"It wasn't us, it was just the few naughty ones!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    In what context is incitement to murder OK then?

"The EDL are racist scum I'd let them all rot in a hole"

"Scumbag police officer - he wants shooting like he did to the dog"
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    That seems to be the default excuse whenever Muslims do anything wrong in the name of their religion.

"It wasn't us, it was just the few naughty ones!"

This seems the default accusation whenever a Muslim does something

"One Muslim does something naughty they must represent all of them"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    This seems the default accusation whenever a Muslim does something

"One Muslim does something naughty they must represent all of them"

"And yet it must be a peaceful religion because my Muslim mate rescues puppies."

Works both ways!

Islam stands as a vile religion on its own merits - it doesn't need idiot fundamentalists to back that up.