Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    A change in the bed linens

OK, they at least took some time to change the sheets - when Holly got her shot the sheets were brown or deep olive, when our lovely Louisa asks the Doc to "just ask me again", the pillowcase is red. Now, it is hard to know the time elapsed between Holly getting her shot and her being downstairs, dressed, but since Louisa was surprised to see her there, I suspect that the sheets did not get changed before that time.
    Is this just a continuity oversight? We have recently heard so much about aspects of continuity, but at certain times it seems to go out the window...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And what was your reaction when...

And as the scene opens, panning down the street and up to the bedroom window - did you expect to find our Doc in Louisa's room, adjusting his tie? Or was this a shock to us all?

I love the conversation between Dave the postman and Pauline - "I'd say our Doc had quite the pajama party" --- "Good morning Doc. Sleep well?" This really makes me lol every time I watch it.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    A change in the bed linens

OK, they at least took some time to change the sheets - when Holly got her shot the sheets were brown or deep olive, when our lovely Louisa asks the Doc to "just ask me again", the pillowcase is red. Now, it is hard to know the time elapsed between Holly getting her shot and her being downstairs, dressed, but since Louisa was surprised to see her there, I suspect that the sheets did not get changed before that time.
    Is this just a continuity oversight? We have recently heard so much about aspects of continuity, but at certain times it seems to go out the window...

I actually think that one of the charming things about the series is that sometimes they let continuity go out the window in the interests of the story or of tweaking things to make them fresher, etc. E.g., a rigorous dedication to continuity would not have allowed the spacious ensuite (green) bathroom to appear in S5, yet it was right for the story that it did. So in a way (it seems to me) they are saying with us, "Let's pretend" and the lapses in continuity are a way of winking at us and saying, yes, yes we know it's a lapse, but it makes the pretend better.

In the case of the red sheets, the red denotes passion -- which is what they want to get across, and to heck with the color they were when HOlly was in them.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's heresy to talk the making of an American version of DM, but I just realized who could pull off being the American doc: Jeff Daniels. However, if they were to start at the beginning of the saga, he'd be too old. But I think otherwise perfect!

That's an interesting idea. Awhile ago we discussed what American actor we would compre to MC and I suggested Jeff Daniels. He is a well respected actor but also one who can walk down a public street without being mobbed. He lives with his wife and children here in Michigan (in a small town out in the country) and I have always respected his choice not to move to California or New York. Sounds a bit like MC, eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And as the scene opens, panning down the street and up to the bedroom window - did you expect to find our Doc in Louisa's room, adjusting his tie? Or was this a shock to us all?

I love the conversation between Dave the postman and Pauline - "I'd say our Doc had quite the pajama party" --- "Good morning Doc. Sleep well?" This really makes me lol every time I watch it.

I was shocked and giggled like a schoolgirl! I think I also recall jumping up and down in my seat and clapping my hands :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I was shocked and giggled like a schoolgirl! I think I also recall jumping up and down in my seat and clapping my hands :D:D:D

I think I remember that there was some muttering about this at the time it aired in England b/c of "immorality' during family viewing time.
    They do like to keep things PG, if not Ozzie and Harriet; maybe the reaction to that is one of the reasons. (Always excepting Eddie Rix and Aunt Joan and the kitchen table.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shop Girl wrote: »

No, I wasn't expecting it and was completely surprised and elated. Like you, Shop Girl, I know I giggled and I think I shouted out something (can't remember what) that startled the dogs and even stood up and did a silly little happy dance.

There are so many things we are not shown in this TV show, so many things we have to speculate about or figure out for ourselves. When once in awhile they put something right out there on a platter, to put it into Tishell-speak, it's such a thrill! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I actually think that one of the charming things about the series is that sometimes they let continuity go out the window in the interests of the story or of tweaking things to make them fresher, etc. E.g., a rigorous dedication to continuity would not have allowed the spacious ensuite (green) bathroom to appear in S5, yet it was right for the story that it did. So in a way (it seems to me) they are saying with us, "Let's pretend" and the lapses in continuity are a way of winking at us and saying, yes, yes we know it's a lapse, but it makes the pretend better.

In the case of the red sheets, the red denotes passion -- which is what they want to get across, and to heck with the color they were when HOlly was in them.

I think you're right, NewPark, although sometimes I get a little bothered by continuity errors. In this case, though, no problem at all. I would expect nothing less than red sheets in that red room at that particular time. Besides, if we want continuity, there was plenty of time for Louisa to change the sheets afterwards, or between, if you know what I mean. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. Sometimes we just have to accept the Portwenn Effect. The red pillows were perfect for that scene. And I wonder if the mysterious screen that created a vestibule in her cottage for that episode only was constructed to give Martin a place to make that decision and ask that question in a safe place. Not being out in the open (and hidden from Louisa) at that moment might have given him the courage to blurt out what was in his heart.

The only other time he let go was when he told her that he loved her, but he was drunk at the time (his constipation had been relieved by the wine). By the time we got to the castle, he had grown emotionally enough to pour out his heart out in the open and with witnesses!
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    :D:D:D My eggs (well, if I still had any) would certainly pop out all ready to go if in the company of a certain hunka-hunka doc! ;)

I'm with you Biffpup. The new casual pictures are excellent. He is always so clean! (If you know what I mean). I bet he smells really good too. Swoon.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think I remember that there was some muttering about this at the time it aired in England b/c of "immorality' during family viewing time.
    They do like to keep things PG, if not Ozzie and Harriet; maybe the reaction to that is one of the reasons. (Always excepting Eddie Rix and Aunt Joan and the kitchen table.)

They must show a LOT of their TV movies after family viewing time. I am thinking of all the bedroom scenes in W&M and the nudity and 'other stuff' in Dirty Tricks. Most of the other British TV that I watch is detective fiction but there are also scenes there (at least on DVD) that would likely not appear on American TV. And interesting that the Doc says "shit" as I think this is still one of the words that we don't hear on American TV.
    Now, I am often surprised at the language (nearly all 7 words that George Carlin joked about) that I can come across on late night cable TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you're right, NewPark, although sometimes I get a little bothered by continuity errors. In this case, though, no problem at all. I would expect nothing less than red sheets in that red room at that particular time. Besides, if we want continuity, there was plenty of time for Louisa to change the sheets afterwards, or between, if you know what I mean. ;)

Come on Biff - crazy weasel sex and changed sheets?????
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I recall when I watched that scene that my initial reaction was "Yes...,finally!" All those episodes had been building up this delectable tension. I was distracted by thinking that only the Doc would be putting his tie back on to go home. Then I was relieved when he was't sneaking out...the scene certainly suggested that he could have been and that would really have s@&ked. (I can't think of a better word because it would have!)

As I said before I loved when he was walking down the street and Dave the postman beeped and gave him the thumbs up. It like for a shining moment he was just one of the guys .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Come on Biff - crazy weasel sex and changed sheets?????

After I wrote 'crazy weasel sex' I wondered, where did that phrase come from? I know it has been used here on the forum and by forum members in other places, but until this forum, I had never heard it. Anyone willing to 'fess up?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My ONLY criticism of that scene was how "buttoned up" Louisa seemed, somewhat stiff with sheets held like armor. Did not look entirely like she'd had the night of crazed weasel sex Mona avers happened (and I believe Mona since she's a doctor!)
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ONLY criticism of that scene was how "buttoned up" Louisa seemed, somewhat stiff with sheets held like armor. Did not look entirely like she'd had the night of crazed weasel sex Mona avers happened (and I believe Mona since she's a doctor!)

I guess they had to make sure the tattoo wasn't showing. Maybe that's part of the issue - she didn't move much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After I wrote 'crazy weasel sex' I wondered, where did that phrase come from? I know it has been used here on the forum and by forum members in other places, but until this forum, I had never heard it. Anyone willing to 'fess up?

Hah! The phrase, "crazed weasel sex" came from Mona (mmDerdekea). :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shows I've enjoyed the most have been from the UK including: Poirot, Inspector Morse, Midsomer Murders, and Fawlty Towers. The Miss Marple series was good too, but I always preferred the incredible Dame Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple--nothing says you can't enjoy some humour with your murder!
    (Other recent series such as Downton Abbey and Call the Midwife, though beautifully produced, just don't do it for me for some reason.)

As for the US, I always thought Seinfeld was brilliant; Frasier less so, but entertaining at times. (Simply cannot stand any current series from America--but still love America and Americans!)

Add grand designs (UK version) and this is EXACTLT me!!! I also watch PBS newshour and Aussie news roundup and business news on Sunday.

I do not watch any sport, dont like Downton Abbey or W & M and do not watch much TV at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But NewPark they wouldn't sleep in the same sheets as Holly would they? If it was me I'd change them, together, if necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    But NewPark they wouldn't sleep in the same sheets as Holly would they? If it was me I'd change them, together, if necessary.

Well, I suppose that changing the sheets together could be rather of a turn-on in itself. Remember how they glanced at each other quickly when they were making the bed for Holly to get into the first time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Excellent! I'll be relying on you again connie to be able to view these from my distant shores!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member

"Buttoned up" is a good phrase. If you take a good look at that scene everything is neatly in place-the pillows are smooth and the duvet is pulled up nicely on 'his' side of the bed. Nothing is rumpled or askew-rather odd wouldn't you say?;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Add grand designs (UK version) and this is EXACTLT me!!! I also watch PBS newshour and Aussie news roundup and business news on Sunday.

I do not watch any sport, dont like Downton Abbey or W & M and do not watch much TV at all.

I forgot northern Exposure and Seachange (Aussie) I loved Moonlighting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I am amazed that anyone thinks that after 3+ years of frustrated love and lust; after dreams of each other; after LG was willing to have sex on a kitchen table after one serious kiss with DM; after DM realized after the break-up how desperately empty his life is without LG in it; that, after that embrace, that declaration and acceptance of marriage, that lifting of her off the Earth into his arms, that DM would plop her back down, pick up his equipment and say "Well, gotta go. See you later." And, that if he had LG, who, we saw, is so insecure she had to ask him if after a night of crazed weasel sex if he was "okay" with it, if LG would let him go, without freaking out in her ultrasensitivite response to abandonment, her huge issue, at that very moment when she has put her emotions and soul on the line, and answer "Okay, sure. Don't forget to come back for sex later, if you can."

No way!

They went upstairs and had sex right after that. Absolutely without a doubt for me! :)

Totally agree. But, I think they changed the sheets together, quickly. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I just had a quick thought. It was presumptuous of me to suggest I was normal or mature. Sorry.

Everyone here thinks you are normal and mature, however, the non-Doc Martin-viewing general public may think you are a little strange just for being in this forum. :cool::cool::cool:
This discussion has been closed.