Options

The Cruise..A life at Sea..BBC2.

guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else watching...I'm finding the choir thing quite amusing!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Yes i'm watching.

I must say, I got the wrong end of the stick with that couple......i didn't realise that it was a woman and a man :o.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't fancy being on a boat, even a luxury one, for all that time!

Wonder how much the round the world trip costs!
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprisingly, it's not bad. An interesting bunch of characters.
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speak for yourself, mate.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,858
    Forum Member
    Interesting but it hasn't encouraged me to go on a cruise!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    Interesting but it hasn't encouraged me to go on a cruise!

Nor me!
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Well I have been on one of Balmoral's sister ships and had a great time. I must admit though if I had not already experienced a cruise this programme would have put me off forever!
  • Options
    LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,444
    Forum Member
    Well I am a cruise lover but if I had seen this program before we went on our first cruise I wouldn't have booked.

The cruises we have been on have been all age groups with loads of kids onboard and young couples. Also Balmoral isn't a luxury cruise ship compared to most lines. The cabin the couple were shown in was about half or less the size of cabins on P & O or Royal Caribbean that we have sailed on.

Shame it might put people off crusing.
  • Options
    LancslassLancslass Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    Good to watch but I don't think it would encourage me to go on a cruise, ESP for that length of time. Why would the loved up pair have single beds? Don't they have double rooms (cabins). The padre is on a nice little number isn't he?
  • Options
    kazzieconkazziecon Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    This is not the most luxurious cruise line ... There are all types of staterooms (not called cabins :)) so it might have been that this one was all this couple could afford!!

Bigger and more luxurious ships ( eg P&O/Royal Caribbean/ Celebrity) have nicer staterooms.

Don't let this programme put you off :D:D
  • Options
    pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Lancslass wrote: »
    Good to watch but I don't think it would encourage me to go on a cruise, ESP for that length of time. Why would the loved up pair have single beds? Don't they have double rooms (cabins). The padre is on a nice little number isn't he?

On most cruise ships the beds can be configured either as two singles or a double. Balmoral however has some cabins where this isn't possible.

Please don't think all cruising is like this. Balmoral isn't typical of cruise ships. Cruise lines such as Royal Caribbean have much larger ships with lots of facilities and typically attract a younger crowd. Cabins, or 'staterooms' as cruise lines somewhat laughably call them are always small; to get a decent size cabin on a ship you need to book a suite, for which you typically need deep pockets.

The programme was OK though; sort of a cross between the 1990's The Cruise and An Island Parish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fred Olsen definitely cater for the older clientele but my husband and I being 'oldies' ourselves fitted in really well.
    Personally I prefer the smaller ships and although I would not class the fleet as luxury, like Cunard , we thought the whole experience was most enjoyable and there were some very luxurious looking cabins/suites up on deck 7, although we did not stay in one...
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Wonder how many have been put of cruising by this programme, the ship was very dated and in need of a complete re-fit if not a scrapping. And it seemed to put out the usual stereo type of "cruising people", ie over 55+.

I thought to much attention was given to the Priest and the Choir, was that because there's not a lot more to do on that ship. Was that women a bit "bonkers" (need a better word" going on about her husband as if he was going to drop down dead at any moment (unless there's some thing we weren't told)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wonder how many have been put of cruising by this programme, the ship was very dated and in need of a complete re-fit if not a scrapping. And it seemed to put out the usual stereo type of "cruising people", ie over 55+.

I thought to much attention was given to the Priest and the Choir, was that because there's not a lot more to do on that ship. Was that women a bit "bonkers" (need a better word" going on about her husband as if he was going to drop down dead at any moment (unless there's some thing we weren't told)

It will no doubt put a few people off but the programme isn't intended to boost cruise passenger numbers; it's an observational documentary made by BBC Religion to follow the Priest's work; it's really An Island Parish at sea, which was why so much attention was given to the Priest.

Balmoral isn't the most modern or luxurious cruise ship but I didn't see anything indicating that it needed a complete refit or scrapping.
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the passengers were only doing part of the world cruise. However, the fact that some were there for the whole three months or however long it took, meant that the average age was much higher than for an average cruise. Younger people, with work and family commitments, cannot spare the time away from home and may not have the money either.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    pward1965 wrote: »
    It will no doubt put a few people off but the programme isn't intended to boost cruise passenger numbers; it's an observational documentary made by BBC Religion to follow the Priest's work; it's really An Island Parish at sea, which was why so much attention was given to the Priest.

Balmoral isn't the most modern or luxurious cruise ship but I didn't see anything indicating that it needed a complete refit or scrapping.

Unless you have loads of money to afford best suites with a balcony these cruises would be anathema to me. Like being in a holiday camp on the high seas where you cannot get away from busybody people trying to organise what you do all the time.
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Unless you have loads of money to afford best suites with a balcony these cruises would be anathema to me. Like being in a holiday camp on the high seas where you cannot get away from busybody people trying to organise what you do all the time.

I have been on three cruises with three different lines and this is not true in my experience. Passengers are free to do as they please with no pressure at all to attend onboard activities, other than the safety drill which is compulsory. There are sufficient people on a cruise that to avoid someone you do not like is easy.

Having said that, I consider that a round the world cruise is too long to be away. Better to do sections of the cruise year by year.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Well not maybe a scrapping but certainly a re-fit, that carpet was awful, the cabin was awful and if you looked you could see stains and wear patterns in the furniture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »

That is really not true at all, some of the ships are so huge you never see the same person twice, which I why I prefer the smaller ships and even then you don't have to be sociable if you choose not to be.

I do agree though that it would be nicer to have a balcony/suite but then you get up into mega bucks on the smaller ships and really people tend to lay around the pools or on the beds around deck on sunny days.

That programme last night did not do justice to Fred Olsen ships, as I said before if I had watched that programme before my first cruise I would never have gone...
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a cruise once and treated it like a hotel. I hate dressing up on holiday so we avoided the Captains Dinner despite being invited due to our room. I would have preferred to have flown but an Icelandic Volcano put paid to that so we did the cruise instead.

I agree with ChrissieAO, we sunbathed, played the odd game, did our own excursions and didn't really interact much with other passengers aside the usual 'good morning' or a chat whilst on deck. Most of them only really wanted to talk to tell you how much they'd paid
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member

I'll say.

The honeymooners were so sweet but blimey she was a fretter and a half. She was acting like hubby was at death's door at times.

My other favourite from last night was the Captain Birdseye looky-likey in the choir.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The padre is on a nice little number isn't he?

It may seem it. I got into conversation with a guest lecturer on a cruise ship a couple of years ago. For giving half a dozen one-hour lectures he got free passage and a healthy discount on on-board expenditure. The downsides? Getting the contract (for this purpose you're a temp) can be a faff, you can't choose your cabin - you get the cabin you're given, and you are treated as crew, which has its downsides, for example passengers have priority when disembarking at ports.

Still, if you're retired, don't mind too much about itineraries and aren't too bothered about cabin choice, these roles can be attractive.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    It just confirmed for me that I have no interest in going on a cruise .
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    I'll say.

The honeymooners were so sweet but blimey she was a fretter and a half. She was acting like hubby was at death's door at times.

My other favourite from last night was the Captain Birdseye looky-likey in the choir.

Blimey she was desperate, wasn't she! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think he looked that big tbh. Maybe an ex-husband died prematurely so had her stoked up