Black HughBlack Hugh Posts: 1,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's culture!!:D
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey - don't knock it! It's one of only TWO dates in the year you can legally burn garden rubbish in NI without having to worry about what you're burning OR wind direction (keeping it away from the neighbours!)....or so the Fire Service for Northern Ireland says when you ask them!

Last year I waited NINE WEEKS for a south wind or an east wind over the summer!
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah ye city city folk don't know what ye're missing ..... we can burn whatever we want any day of the year ... don't have to wait for 11th or anything :)
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waste of good wood, those pallets would keep my wood burner going for years. Those large tyres all came of commercial vehicles so would be easy to trace back to the owners with fines being imposed for illegal dumping, thankfully tyres in bonfires are a rare sight nowadays.
  • Options
    Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Ah ye city city folk don't know what ye're missing ..... we can burn whatever we want any day of the year ... don't have to wait for 11th or anything :)

De ye still burn the occasional Protestant down there in Cork ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    De ye still burn the occasional Protestant down there in Cork ?
    no no... we leave the religious bigotry north of the border if we can at all ;)
  • Options
    EESuperFanEESuperFan Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they better not think of burning our flag on top of it. :sleep:
    I might go and watch the riots close to me tomorrow night :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EESuperFan wrote: »
    they better not think of burning our flag on top of it. :sleep:
    I might go and watch the riots close to me tomorrow night :p
    Expecting much excitement Friday night after the parades commission decision?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You had best ask a milkman for that sort of information.:D
  • Options
    EESuperFanEESuperFan Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haven't heard much about it. but i read they can only walk through certain roads and only in the morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EESuperFan wrote: »
    Haven't heard much about it. but i read they can only walk through certain roads and only in the morning.

Trouble must be expected as hundreds of G8 police from GB have been drafted in already which will be the first time mainland police have been involved or possibly it is just a training exercise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    You had best ask a milkman for that sort of information.:D
    its too hot for marching in silly little uniforms anyway ... hopefully they all get burned alive as they cause all the hassle ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its too hot for marching in silly little uniforms anyway ... hopefully they all get burned alive as they cause all the hassle ;)

That is a terrible thing to say, the milkmen provide a valuable service to the community.:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is a terrible thing to say, the milkmen provide a valuable service to the community.:cry:
    :D... haha you know what I mean.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D... haha you know what I mean.

I do, what I meant was that milkmen know before anyone if something is going to kick off, for example if they deliver 5000 pints of milk in the week but only get 4000 empties that means there are 1000 petrol bombs stashed somewhere, keeping check on the pound shop for high sales on bags of sugar and old ladies having their oil tanks emptied is also a good indicator that trouble is brewing:D:D
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'd never get away with this in England nowadays, all those tyres etc, I think in NI they just let them get on with it, keeps them out of trouble I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do, what I meant was that milkmen know before anyone if something is going to kick off, for example if they deliver 5000 pints of milk in the week but only get 4000 empties that means there are 1000 petrol bombs stashed somewhere, keeping check on the pound shop for high sales on bags of sugar and old ladies having their oil tanks emptied is also a good indicator that trouble is brewing:D:D
    Is there still actually milkmen delivering milk door to door every day? :eek: ... I haven't heard of that happening in years, its easier to just get it in the shop.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks more like the bongies from the 80s round our way now it's fallen over: everything just lumped on. Where's the settee anyway?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    They'd never get away with this in England nowadays, tall those tyres etc, I think in NI they just let them get on with it, keeps them out of trouble I guess.

You must be joking :eek: England has the worst riot control and untrained/unequipped police I have ever seen in any part of the U.K, the English riots of 2011 were the worst I have ever seen with looting and burning going on for days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there still actually milkmen delivering milk door to door every day? :eek: ... I haven't heard of that happening in years, its easier to just get it in the shop.

lol, You ever tried to make a petrol bomb out of a milk cartoon:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol, You ever tried to make a petrol bomb out of a milk cartoon:D
    Ah no! ... ha ha you do realise I come from a civilised part of this little country :D ... I was more interested in tractors and diggers growing up them making a petrol bomb....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah no! ... ha ha you do realise I come from a civilised part of this little country :D ... I was more interested in tractors and diggers growing up them making a petrol bomb....

ah so you prefer to build barricades, a much more technical calling. Good man.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ah so you prefer to build barricades, a much more technical calling. Good man.:)
    ... oh yes I have often been referred to as a cute Cork hoor ... no flies on me :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't really laugh as it's nothing to do with me, but this thread is funny. Loving the Irish/Ulster wit. :D

Ya see, if everyone was as funny as mackara and irishfeen here, there'd be no problems at all. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't really laugh as it's nothing to do with me, but this thread is funny. Loving the Irish/Ulster wit. :D

Ya see, if everyone was as funny as mackara and irishfeen here, there'd be no problems at all. ;)

A sense of humour honestly is the best way to deal with these sort of stupid problems, if you worried about them all the time you would go mad.:D