Options

Bruce Forsyth a UK Legend.Please show some respect

Comments

• Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it would drown in marshmallow goo contributed by the 165 members of the TV audience who believe he's a legend.QUOTE]

Higher!

Brucie could tap dance standing on his head so why sitting and tapping would be objectionable to some is a mystery to me. Brucie’s may sit down but he’s established another heyday and is not laying down. He’s keeping those he’s entertaining smiling and BBC entertainment executives are probably dancing a jig.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a495330/sir-bruce-forsyth-performs-at-glastonbury-watch.html

http://www.heatworld.com/Festivals/2013/07/VIDEO-Bruce-Forsyth-on-Glastonbury-2013--It-was-one-of-the-biggest-performances-of-my-life

Brucie’s been with SCD for a small lifetime and the family entertainment professional for longer and is as in vogue as ever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this talk of replacing him is mad. he is great for the show, the audience and the tone. There's no-one you could repalce him with who would suit it better. Certainly not Graham Norton, Barrowman, Du beke etc
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this talk of replacing him is mad. he is great for the show, the audience and the tone. There's no-one you could repalce him with who would suit it better.

I don't understand the attitude that Bruce is irreplaceable - he hosts a show - it's not rocket science. When he left as host of the Generation Game the format still carried on successfully with Larry Grayson.

Some people like what Bruce brings to the show others don't. As has been said before the shows that he didn't host last year didn't suffer in ratings and it'll probably be the same this year. The Strictly format has been successful across the world and most of those countries have managed it without an old style Brucie 'entertainer' fronting the show.

I have liked Bruce, but nowadays I just find because he struggles with the presenting & other reasons mentioned in this thread he spoils the enjoyment of the show - I don't think it's 'madness' to suggest someone else could host it better.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    I don't understand the attitude that Bruce is irreplaceable - he hosts a show - it's not rocket science. When he left as host of the Generation Game the format still carried on successfully with Larry Grayson. ..

Indeed, that show was the better for his departure.

The problem is that all he has ever really been is a solo entertainer. He now feels that every show is 'his' and that everyone watches because of him, failing entirely to appreciate the strong possibility that they watch despite him being present.

If he really is so outstandingly good then lett the BBC, or whoever, promote home for his own solo series - and watch the ratings drop instantly.
  • Options
    pabirdpabird Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    Because it would drown in marshmallow goo contributed by the 165 members of the TV audience who believe he's a legend.QUOTE]

Higher!

Brucie could tap dance standing on his head so why sitting and tapping would be objectionable to some is a mystery to me. Brucie’s may sit down but he’s established another heyday and is not laying down. He’s keeping those he’s entertaining smiling and BBC entertainment executives are probably dancing a jig.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a495330/sir-bruce-forsyth-performs-at-glastonbury-watch.html

http://www.heatworld.com/Festivals/2013/07/VIDEO-Bruce-Forsyth-on-Glastonbury-2013--It-was-one-of-the-biggest-performances-of-my-life

Brucie’s been with SCD for a small lifetime and the family entertainment professional for longer and is as in vogue as ever.

Strange but all those people that discuss the next series talk of Judges/who is to compete and who will be the comedy turn but none consider the presenter worth a comment
    Truth to tell most friends eagerly look forward to SCD return for the progression in dance
    SCD the format is a world wide winner but not due to the presenters
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pabird wrote: »

Strange but all those people that discuss the next series talk of Judges/who is to compete and who will be the comedy turn but none consider the presenter worth a comment
    Truth to tell most friends eagerly look forward to SCD return for the progression in dance
    SCD the format is a world wide winner but not due to the presenters

It’s taken you’re discounting Brucie’s popular appearance at Glastonbury. There’s no denying millions do eagerly look forward to SCD return for the dance. Dancing is what the show is about and Brucie has hosted from the beginning.

SCD was formulated from Come Dancing, a programme hidden away late at night and somewhat mocked for its content - ballroom dancing. With ballroom dancing considered to be in decline the programme ceased to be and shut away in the BBC archives. Reviving a show about ballroom dancing held risks and SCD was never guaranteed to be the success it’s become.

The BBC wisely chose Brucie, an entertainment icon as its presenter at the launch of the show and it flourished. It’s become a growing success but it could have been a huge flop had it gone the way of its predecessor despite Brucie presenting. Had SCD not become a hit it couldn’t have become the world’s most successful reality TV format. The show couldn’t have been exported to over 40 countries (possibly still rising) as there wouldn’t have been a format to buy. SCD or a show by any other name in other countries couldn’t have become a billion pound earner for the BBC.

Brucie’s plays his part in SCD’s status and viewers will switch on in September. Everyone is entitled to think what they like and if someone wants to disregard him or oppose him they do it by expressing what they consider a cure. Discounting his popularity, his one man shows, music festivals or whatever else he appears at or on remains SCD‘s bonus. The Brucie demolishment or removal faction can be vociferous but are futile and ineffective as he’s welcomed back each year with no end yet to his tenure and no one knowing when that might be.

It’s never compulsory to post in threads devoted to anything, anyone or Brucie but people do. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... SCD the format is a world wide winner but not due to the presenters

Exactly!

Despite the presenter, not because of the presenter.

Once again the PVR and FF button will reign supreme in the Grumpy household
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was quite funny.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It’s taken you’re discounting Brucie’s popular appearance at Glastonbury. There’s no denying millions do eagerly look forward to SCD return for the dance. Dancing is what the show is about and Brucie has hosted from the beginning.

SCD was formulated from Come Dancing, a programme hidden away late at night and somewhat mocked for its content - ballroom dancing. With ballroom dancing considered to be in decline the programme ceased to be and shut away in the BBC archives. Reviving a show about ballroom dancing held risks and SCD was never guaranteed to be the success it’s become.

The BBC wisely chose Brucie, an entertainment icon as its presenter at the launch of the show and it flourished. It’s become a growing success but it could have been a huge flop had it gone the way of its predecessor despite Brucie presenting. Had SCD not become a hit it couldn’t have become the world’s most successful reality TV format. The show couldn’t have been exported to over 40 countries (possibly still rising) as there wouldn’t have been a format to buy. SCD or a show by any other name in other countries couldn’t have become a billion pound earner for the BBC.

Brucie’s plays his part in SCD’s status and viewers will switch on in September. Everyone is entitled to think what they like and if someone wants to disregard him or oppose him they do it by expressing what they consider a cure. Discounting his popularity, his one man shows, music festivals or whatever else he appears at or on remains SCD‘s bonus. The Brucie demolishment or removal faction can be vociferous but are futile and ineffective as he’s welcomed back each year with no end yet to his tenure and no one knowing when that might be.

It’s never compulsory to post in threads devoted to anything, anyone or Brucie but people do. ;)

Yeah.. But..there again some of us thought he was a right pain from day one.

The show is nothing like its prececessor, "Come on Home counties north!" (or whatever)
    Don't try to kid anyone it is.

The success was due to the inclusion of known celebrities!

An opportunity for a bit of schadenfreude for many.

It had naff-all to do with Bruce and he wouldn't be missed in the slightest, whoever they got to replace him or how more irritating they'd be than he, if that's possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It had naff-all to do with Bruce and he wouldn't be missed in the slightest, whoever they got to replace him or how more irritating they'd be than he, if that's possible.

^^^^^^ This
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah.. But..there again some of us thought he was a right pain from day one.

The show is nothing like its prececessor, "Come on Home counties north!" (or whatever)
    Don't try to kid anyone it is.

The success was due to the inclusion of known celebrities!

An opportunity for a bit of schadenfreude for many.

I never watched Come Dancing my mum did but if you wish to state both shows weren‘t about ballroom dancing you’re mistaken. No one knew SCD would be a success including the celebrities still happy to line up and take part. It’s already been publicised Brucie’s signed a contract with a few more days off to be back again in September. SCD has provided a contract that works for both parties and released the information adding some amiable words about Brucie.

Brucie career isn’t over, it continues as SCD’s iconic presenter and man of the moment so nothing has altered. Suggesting anyone derives pleasure from the misfortunes of others is a misnomer when there are those who build up antipathy towards Brucie who’s on screen for probably a combined total of 10/15 minutes or so.

Everyone takes responsibility for what and who they watch unless parents exert authority over their children. It’s only astonishing you‘re still inflicting the show on yourself when it’s known in advance who’ll be presenting and throughout the years nothing has changed.
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Brucie career isn’t over, it continues as SCD’s iconic presenter and man of the moment so nothing has altered.

Whaaaat? Funniest thing I've read in ages.. 'Iconic presenter'? What? Bruce?

Oh bless you!
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never watched Come Dancing my mum did but if you wish to state both shows weren‘t about ballroom dancing you’re mistaken. No one knew SCD would be a success including the celebrities still happy to line up and take part. It’s already been publicised Brucie’s signed a contract with a few more days off to be back again in September. SCD has provided a contract that works for both parties and released the information adding some amiable words about Brucie.

Brucie career isn’t over, it continues as SCD’s iconic presenter and man of the moment so nothing has altered. Suggesting anyone derives pleasure from the misfortunes of others is a misnomer when there are those who build up antipathy towards Brucie who’s on screen for probably a combined total of 10/15 minutes or so.

Everyone takes responsibility for what and who they watch unless parents exert authority over their children. It’s only astonishing you‘re still inflicting the show on yourself when it’s known in advance who’ll be presenting and throughout the years nothing has changed.

Bruce is only a small but highly irritating part of the show for many. So the majority content outweighs his irritation, with the bonus ffwd button removing Bruce for those who can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »

Oh bless you!

You don't need to bless me but thanks anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monaogg wrote: »
    Bruce is only a small but highly irritating part of the show for many. So the majority content outweighs his irritation, with the bonus ffwd button removing Bruce for those who can.

Toothless critics do go unnoticed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You seem to be still confused.
    Come Dancing was a competition between professional pairs and also included competitions between regional formation teams. The winners were judged entirely by professionals. No public vote.

Strictly Come Dancing is about people presumably well known to TV viewers, learning to dance, competing for an ultimate prize for the professional and their amateur partner, where there's a lot of viewer participation, who ultimately influence who wins.
    They are totally different.

To say they're the same, is like saying football and rugby are such as they use a ball.

Viewers and contributors to this board do have their favourites and some express a great deal of satisfaction when someone who annoys them for any reason gets voted out.

You shouldn't be "astonished" that anyone watches and enjoys the dancing but who find Bruce now an embarrassing bore and prone to gaffs (that much has certainly changed).
    As you've been told it's easy to record the programme as do I and fast-forward through his pointless contributions.
    Everyone takes responsibility for what and who they watch unless parents exert authority over their children.

This is very true, but seemed a rather pointless remark in this context.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to be still confused.
    Come Dancing was a competition between professional pairs and also included competitions between regional formation teams. The winners were judged entirely by professionals. No public vote.

Strictly Come Dancing is about people presumably well known to TV viewers, learning to dance, competing for an ultimate prize for the professional and their amateur partner, where there's a lot of viewer participation, who ultimately influence who wins.
    They are totally different.

To say they're the same, is like saying football and rugby are such as they use a ball.

Viewers and contributors to this board do have their favourites and some express a great deal of satisfaction when someone who annoys them for any reason gets voted out.

You shouldn't be "astonished" that anyone watches and enjoys the dancing but who find Bruce now an embarrassing bore and prone to gaffs (that much has certainly changed).
    As you've been told it's easy to record the programme as do I and fast-forward through his pointless contributions.

This is very true, but seemed a rather pointless remark in this context.

Brucie has been SCD’s presenter from the get go. Nothing has changed and nothing will change until Brucie retires or leaves so what you, I or anyone thinks doesn‘t change anything. He’s still there or to be more specific due to be there and as you‘ve been dealing with it for years there'll be no difference now. It’s you extolling the virtues of FF and regardless of ball shapes I'm not confused about anything when I'm happy to watch SCD with Brucie hosting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brucie has been SCD’s presenter from the get go. Nothing has changed and nothing will change until Brucie retires or leaves so what you, I or anyone thinks doesn‘t change anything. He’s still there or to be more specific due to be there and as you‘ve been dealing with it for years there'll be no difference now. It’s you extolling the virtues of FF and regardless of ball shapes I'm not confused about anything when I'm happy to watch SCD with Brucie hosting.

You can watch what it how you like, I don't mind, why should you see SCD as a problem for me?

I'll continue to watch recordings of SCD, but I'll be using my remote to remove as much of that silly old self-serving octogenarian's showboating and daft comments, as humanly possible, so we'll both be happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no use comparing the original and the modern SCDs

I danced on the original in three separate series and it was dancer Pro & Am representing geographical areas and no cheap shots / no dodgy results and presenters who joined in the fun but never to attempt put downs on the dancers etc

It was fun and in dance terms real attempts at quality by people involved in the world of dance
    No real conversation away from the performance no snide remarks and certainly no presenters attempting to be bigger than the show I.e not one person becoming "precious"
  • Options
    KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you remember Ray Moore? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rings a bell but not to loud
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »

Oh bless you!

Seems quite an apt description to me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no use comparing the original and the modern SCDs

I danced on the original in three separate series and it was dancer Pro & Am representing geographical areas and no cheap shots / no dodgy results and presenters who joined in the fun but never to attempt put downs on the dancers etc

It was fun and in dance terms real attempts at quality by people involved in the world of dance
    No real conversation away from the performance no snide remarks and certainly no presenters attempting to be bigger than the show I.e not one person becoming "precious"

However, Gaynor Fairweather and Donnie Burns, could always be relied upon to provide some unintentional comedy, he particularly, when those "Goucho trousers" were all the rage.
    Ray McVay's orchestra was always the best, but he's "Glenn Miller" now.
  • Options
    KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you remember Ray Moore, Doggy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you remember Ray Moore, Doggy?

Sorry, sadly I don't, but I do remember that smarmy Terry Wiggon, in the ever-present green velvet jacket, whose job it was to describe the dresses!