Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why in god's name have we got cricket on 5 live? It should be out of the way on sports extra for its two listeners.
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It already is on Sports Extra and BBC Radio 4 LW. 909's coverage is on top of that during the Victoria Derbyshire show and I'm sure throughout the day.
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    deivu74 wrote: »
    Why in god's name have we got cricket on 5 live? It should be out of the way on sports extra for its two listeners.

With 5 live a wicket at the cricket is more important than the selling off of Royal Mail statement
  • Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With 5 live a wicket at the cricket is more important than the selling off of Royal Mail statement

Totally agree. I was listening to Vince Cable and was waiting for John Piennaar to come up with his opinion/ interpretation

I know the Ashes is popular and I watch it , but why when it's on such a variety of platforms do they have to do ball by ball live on 5 live as well. Heard Glen McMcgrath on radio 4's ball by ball and then lo and behold he's saying the same things on 5 live ( talking about the cap for the aussie debutant)

Don't mind updates, but why a whole team ..?
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »

Oh shut up whining, it's a massive sporting occasion, it's a "news and sport" station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh shut up whining, it's a massive sporting occasion, it's a "news and sport" station.

I understand that, but why have a whole team and not just updates ?

If you want to hear ball by ball , choose the appropriate platform. There's enough of them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James1953 wrote: »
    I understand that, but why have a whole team and not just updates ?

If you want to hear ball by ball , choose the appropriate platform. There's enough of them

Well, not everyone can get 5extra, and long-wave is also pretty rare. I'm sure the team will intermingle with the others. It's the first morning, they're not doing live commentary throughout the series.

Anyway, surely it gives the regulars here less reasons to moan at Derbyshire, I'd have thought they'd have been happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, not everyone can get 5extra, and long-wave is also pretty rare. I'm sure the team will intermingle with the others. It's the first morning, they're not doing live commentary throughout the series.

Anyway, surely it gives the regulars here less reasons to moan at Derbyshire, I'd have thought they'd have been happy.

The thing is you dont need sports extra
    I'm listening in the car to radio 4 on 720 am which is the next station along from 693 and just before 909 which happen to be radio 5's frequencies
    All you miss is the odd 5 mins for the shipping forecast and that usually co-incides with a drinks break
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't have it both ways surely - by promoting the greater variety of platforms and ways to listen than ever before but then having cricket on all of them. Mind you, I'd far rather listen to the outstanding Pat Murphy than just about anyone else on the station, never mind Queen Victoria.
  • Options
    Michael_ONeillMichael_ONeill Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    When is Crawley getting BBC National DAB?
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the first day of the 2009 Ashes, what were Victoria Derbyshire's topics?

I think two people at the cricket for 5 Live like normal would have been adequate.
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    On the first day of the 2009 Ashes, what were Victoria Derbyshire's topics?

I think two people at the cricket for 5 Live like normal would have been adequate.

Let me guess, it was someone with a sob story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    Let me guess, it was someone with a sob story.

I don't think it was. That' why I'm asking. I'm sure the show was more upbeat on that day.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm listening in the car to radio 4 on 720 am which is the next station along from 693 and just before 909 which happen to be radio 5's frequencies
    All you miss is the odd 5 mins for the shipping forecast and that usually co-incides with a drinks break

You make it sound as if this is the norm across the UK, but I know this not to be the case. In the parts of the country I have lived and worked in, Radio 4 LW is not available on the medium wave band as it is in places like the North-East of England. Radio 4 LW is certainly not on MW in the West Midlands or South-East or West Wales, and I don't believe it is in North London either.
  • Options
    paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations for living in/near London.
    Now tell us what the other 90% of the country should do...?
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    On Drive Anna Foster was interviewing the father of Sgt Danny Nightingale who had been found guilty again. He had just started explaining why he thought the trial was unfair when he was interrupted by Anna saying we need to go back to the cricket. Sgt Nightingale was the main headline story but again 5 live thought a wicket at the cricket was more important than news and finding it necessary to rudely interrupt an interview. After the news about the wicket the interview did not continue, admittedly Peter did apologise but it was totally the wrong how it was handled.

What difference would it have made to wait a couple of minutes before going back to the cricket?

If you want to listen it was after 5pm about 1hour 07minutes in on listen again
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b036myn9
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Drive Anna Foster was interviewing the father of Sgt Danny Nightingale who had been found guilty again. He had just started explaining why he thought the trial was unfair when he was interrupted by Anna saying we need to go back to the cricket. Sgt Nightingale was the main headline story but again 5 live thought a wicket at the cricket was more important than news and finding it necessary to rudely interrupt an interview. After the news about the wicket the interview did not continue, admittedly Peter did apologise but it was totally the wrong how it was handled.

What difference would it have made to wait a couple of minutes before going back to the cricket?

If you want to listen it was after 5pm about 1hour 07minutes in on listen again
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b036myn9
    That was totally out of order by Anna. Totally crass and insensitive. And totally unprofessional.

There's getting a balance but that was just wrong.

Well done for Peter for apologising but Anna should have been the one to be doing it.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    That was totally out of order by Anna. Totally crass and insensitive. And totally unprofessional.

There's getting a balance but that was just wrong.

She was equally as bad when introducing the report of the parliamentary enquiry of the millions given away as pay offs to the BBC bosses, when she stated that they faced "aggresive" questioning by MPs. They still don't get it do they? I will be surprised if the HR boss is still in her job by the end of next week. Oh I forgot, they usually get promoted don't they.
  • Options
    Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I expect Anna was told in her ear phones to go to the cricket. Yes it was crass, but not her fault. As far as I heard this morning they only played the first over on VD's programme, because the Ashes are so important to cricket lovers, and then back to updates only.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been enjoying Andy Crane on UAN for the past couple of nights. Anyone else have any thoughts on him?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You make it sound as if this is the norm across the UK, but I know this not to be the case. In the parts of the country I have lived and worked in, Radio 4 LW is not available on the medium wave band as it is in places like the North-East of England. Radio 4 LW is certainly not on MW in the West Midlands or South-East or West Wales, and I don't believe it is in North London either.

Didn't realise that. Don't listen to Radio 4 that much. Apologies if it was misleading. My point still stands about overkill tho'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulx23 wrote: »
    Congratulations for living in/near London.
    Now tell us what the other 90% of the country should do...?

Thank you for your smarmy commenr.( I actually posted from Brighton yesterday which is approx 50 miles from London)

With regard to the '90% of the country' maybe they could choose one of the various platforms available.
    I do understand that there will be some people who are unable to source these but ,imo, if you are that keen on hearing it, most will find a way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

or the south-west.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be more sensible to put the cricket updates that are outside the sports bulletins either before or after the travel so items are not interupted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I've been enjoying Andy Crane on UAN for the past couple of nights. Anyone else have any thoughts on him?

Yup, I with you. Each time that he's been on cover duties he has shown that he is still a good presenter - and one that listens to answers. I would very much join the call for him as a full time replacement at weekends. Much needed breath of fresh air.
This discussion has been closed.