Options

Nick & Margaret: We all pay.... 11th July BBC1 9pm

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not looking forward to this show. I just hope is shows that people on benefits need the money they get.
    I bet the Daily Mail were wetting themselves over this programme. Every day there is another we hate poor people on benefits story.
    Not everyone is on it for life churning out 10 kids to make as much as they can.
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly Media Studies is the one degree that every tom dick and harry goes for to stay out of unemployment. My neighbour did the same thing, he was made unemployed and rather than look for a job he went and got a media studies degree..
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite. This could've been made by Iain ****** Smith himself.

Rubbish, are you watching the same program??
  • Options
    maltshovelmaltshovel Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    ustarion wrote: »
    That never works.
    I've tried that too and unfortunately would agree :(
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am 29 and i have severe depression

currently me & my dad are looking after my mother who has bi polar, (she for the last 2 years been on a deprerssive cycle (3 weeks well, 3 weeks unwell, 3 weeks well , etc etc)

my dad has suffered from depression since 16 years ago when he had an industrial accident, he hasn't been able to work since

I am currently on ESA, last march it got stopped i had to wait 9 months for an appeal and in December i got the original ATOS decision overturned , so that was 9 months of hell, currently i am am at last after years of trying receiving regular one to one therapy sessions , had had to wait years to get any help but am finally getting some, my poor dad however has had all his psychiatric help taken away

we have tried to get help from the council but they see me and dad as unpaid carers and don't care that we have have mental health problems ourselves, mum has been in hospital during her depressive cycles but we have noticed that it really didn't do her any good (going to hospital she could be like this for months, as opposed to her 3 week cycle when she is at home)

thats my true story, i am at the moment trying to get a job (dont care what it is, anything) wanna get off benefits

It's people like you which are suffering because of idoits like them! It pisses me off you are being screwed but the cheats and the government
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Nick getting involved,,,,he thinks he's on the apprentice again:rolleyes:

Calm down Nick its not one of Sugars 'tasks':D
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes ADHD, Aspgers and Bi-polar are the new "bad back". :eek:

I'm sorry I have to disagree there - I have Bipolar and it definately is NOT the new "bad back".. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, and I would dearly love to not have it ontop of the other MH conditions I have.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

currently me & my dad are looking after my mother who has bi polar, (she for the last 2 years been on a deprerssive cycle (3 weeks well, 3 weeks unwell, 3 weeks well , etc etc)

my dad has suffered from depression since 16 years ago when he had an industrial accident, he hasn't been able to work since

I am currently on ESA, last march it got stopped i had to wait 9 months for an appeal and in December i got the original ATOS decision overturned , so that was 9 months of hell, currently i am am at last after years of trying receiving regular one to one therapy sessions , had had to wait years to get any help but am finally getting some, my poor dad however has had all his psychiatric help taken away

we have tried to get help from the council but they see me and dad as unpaid carers and don't care that we have have mental health problems ourselves, mum has been in hospital during her depressive cycles but we have noticed that it really didn't do her any good (going to hospital she could be like this for months, as opposed to her 3 week cycle when she is at home)

thats my true story, i am at the moment trying to get a job (dont care what it is, anything) wanna get off benefits

That's very sad, Steve. I can't begin to imagine what a tough time you've had. I just wish you the very best of luck. :)
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    This family and the guy looking after his kids are the only ones I feel quite sorry for. Everyone else seems to be selfish/lazy
  • Options
    maltshovelmaltshovel Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I might pretend that I am unemployed for a bit so I can have Margaret and Nick visit me :D
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 46,038
    Forum Member
    Andagha wrote: »
    He may not have been migrated over yet.. Although I thought they were almost at the end of migration... Maybe they haven't got to him yet..

Sounded like he was unemployed at the start of the programme though, and not incapacitated??

If he has only just claimed as a disabled person he would not be able to claim Incapacity Benefit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super Frog wrote: »
    This whole thing reminds me of George Carlin's speech about how those at the top want the rest of us to keep fighting with one another so that they can keep on going to the bank.

It reminds me of his sketch about turning the poor, sick, mental and criminal elements of society against one another so rich people can watch the battle royale of the suffering elements of society because that's real entertainment, human misery on pay per view! Have the gates separating open for random intervals and one big gate open even more rarely so people are forced to fight tooth and nail against each other to get away from one another and vie for freedom!

Or Bill Hicks stunt granny idea. So you're in old and in a wheelchair and can't get up? Let's have Steven Segal kick your head clean off so you can contribute and be in the movies while your funeral costs are simply deducted from the insurance premium for the movie! Everyone should get involved!
  • Options
    Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    He may not have been migrated over yet.. Although I thought they were almost at the end of migration... Maybe they haven't got to him yet..

There is around another year to complete the migration :)
  • Options
    Glitterbug13Glitterbug13 Posts: 323
    Forum Member

I don't think you fall into the lazy git bracket at all. I do understand there are different reasons for being on benefits, it's just that some seem to really work the system (and I have some cousins who do it very well, to my disgust :mad: ).
    I do hope you find a job soon and things work out well for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    * Introduce food vouchers to be used with a id card so they can't be sold to others.

* x number of hours doing 'benefit work' per week once kids are at school. Even some on disability can use their mouths and answer a phone somewhere.

Not slating anyone with a genuine disability.
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made the mistake of turning over and watching some of this. I knew it would make me mad. Feels like the conservative party broadcasting on the beeb this evening.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes ADHD, Aspgers and Bi-polar are the new "bad back". :eek:

LOL If only we could fake having Asperger's or Bi Polar, then at least we wouldn't have to suffer from it.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    chloeb wrote: »
    Yes, sadly mental health problems don't always display themselves,

true, it is an invisible illness, thats why there is so much stigma surrounding it
    chloeb wrote: »
    That's sad.
    Mental health problems are seriously misunderstood and discriminated against

sadly that is very true :(
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Liam's getting extra monies from family - seemingly to keep him in luxury.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    There is no such thing as being over qualified for retail jobs as they are high turnover jobs anyway. They want someone that will do the job.

Liam thinks he won't get Nuff respec for doing menial retail work
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maltshovel wrote: »
    I might pretend that I am unemployed for a bit so I can have Margaret and Nick visit me :D

That would just add extra motivation for me to get a job if I were unemployed :D no thanks...unless I get to grill him about Countdown or something maybe but I dont much care for the guy really
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've signed on before they tell you you have to look for at least 3 jobs every 2 weeks so 6 jobs a month is fine.

I had to look and apply for 6 jobs a week back when i was signing on
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new Vanilla Ice.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is she having a laugh about him on £70 a week? She should try it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh he should knock that Volunteering on the head, yeah cos its not like it could help him get a job.