Options

2013 Classic Series DVD releases.

Comments

• Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting fed up with Worldwide now - first had to buy "Spearhead" twice to get "Terror of the Autons", then "Tenth Planet" now this. :mad:

Also had to buy the Aztecs twice to get galaxy 4 airlock.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No point getting fed up with Worldwide ... they're about to shoot their final bolts, then that'll be me done.

The boxset looks lovely, especially the art-cards and some nice design, but the non-extra version of Zugons and CD of Genesis and a paperback of some sort don't fuss me overmuch.

Don't get upset everyone: just buy the Genesis CD and the book off Ebay for a couple of quid each and hold on til the proper Zygons release comes out later in the year. I haven't bothered with the regeneration box cos Tenth Planet will be out on its own in a few months.

I bought the rereleased Aztecs cos of Galaxy Four, but I love that story and it's nice to have some extra extras. Likewise, Terror of the Autons was fine, and extra extras on Spearhead are nice too.

Don't get annoyed with BBCWW: just hang on til the big Zygons release later in the year.
  • Options
    FaggyFaggy Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    Yet another trick from worldwide to get fans with money to part with their cash.

Staying clear of this set, just like regenerations.

How exactly is it a trick? They've been very upfront about what this contains and that there's a different version of Zygons with extras being released later in the year.

They did the same with Tenth Planet and Regenerations.

No-one is being forced to buy it - it's simply another option. People can choose to get it or not.

No tricks at all - just a choice.
  • Options
    Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wayne814 wrote: »

Just pre ordered this! Unfortunately i had to cancel spearhead blu-ray but to be honest it's not one of my priority releases at the moment! May get it in a couple of weeks though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Dan Hall involved with this at all? I know he wasn't with the regeneration set and probably not with this but just double checking.
  • Options
    Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The set looks lovely, but im going to pass on it and wait for the DVD with the extras.

Someone on gallifrey base done a breakdown of what it would cost for just the DVD, Audio, Figure, screwdriver and book alone and that would come to £56.

A single, Classic Doctor Who 5" action figure would retail for £17

This DVD, by itself, retails for £15.30 on Amazon

The Fourth Doctor's sonic screwdriver retails for £9.99

The Genesis of the Daleks CD has RRP of £6.10

The reprint novels (comparable to this new edition reprint novel in the set) are £7.99

That all comes to £56.38. So basically you're getting the nine art cards, the letter from Tom and the Seal of Rassilon presentation box for £6.61. Which doesn't seem extortionate

Sorry the links didn't work so deleted them .
  • Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just pre ordered this! Unfortunately i had to cancel spearhead blu-ray but to be honest it's not one of my priority releases at the moment! May get it in a couple of weeks though.

What deals are applied to this Jake? Like does it have 10 pounds off for being a product over £50 or something
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    What deals are applied to this Jake? Like does it have 10 pounds off for being a product over £50 or something

Only deal that works is the 10% off code. It's RPJUL13 and you can get it for £56.69. Worth it in my opinion, as most of it, including the figure, will never be released again!
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only deal that works is the 10% off code. It's RPJUL13 and you can get it for £56.69. Worth it in my opinion, as most of it, including the figure, will never be released again!

Jakey you're a collector of Dr who merchandise so I can see the appeal to you. All I do is collect the DVDs and pick up DWM once a month so it is worthless to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jakey you're a collector of Dr who merchandise so I can see the appeal to you. All I do is collect the DVDs and pick up DWM once a month so it is worthless to me.

I'm not that interested in other stuff other than DVDs either, but i don't mind the occasional figures or art cards!
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    Waste of time. Who on earth is going to buy it. They have the single releases already.

Just bung an exclusive on one of the disks and there are nutters who'll buy.
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's another release like regenerations box set which was done by a different team and wasn't dan hall produced.
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blu ray.com says s7 will be out 24th Sep (its American website so that release date being a Tuesday is pleasurable) and will include widdow. If its correct I'd expect it the day before in the uk.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    It's another release like regenerations box set which was done by a different team and wasn't dan hall produced.

So if this isn't Dan Hall produced, then it's not really an official DW DVD product, is it?

It's just an unnoficial product to get people to part with yet more cash, just like the Regenerations Box Set a few weeks ago.

I'm not going to be getting this, as I only get the DVDs seperately when they come out, plus DWM each month.

Also I pick up the occasional book about DW as well, if it appeals to me. I may get an audio release, but again, only if it appeals to me, and the "new Who" action figures. That's it.

I've already got Genesis of the Daleks on DVD, plus the 2011 abridged audio CD version. Also, the Art Cards don't really appeal to me.

If I did get this, it would only be for the action figure of TB in JP's Doctor's clothes. So it's not worth it. In less than a year, you'll probably see the action figure on amazon for about £10, which is how much I pay for each figure when I get them anyway.

Plus, ebay will have it too, as it's an auction site. People will want to sell theirs and get some money for them.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,932
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    So if this isn't Dan Hall produced, then it's not really an official DW DVD product, is it?

It's just an unnoficial product to get people to part with yet more cash, just like the Regenerations Box Set a few weeks ago.

Are you suggesting that there are now canon and non canon DVD ranges? :)

It's as official as all the others DVD sets because it's produced by the BBC, but the key thing is that no one is forcing people to buy it.

I wonder why some people are so annoyed by these releases? Is it because some buy all the DVD's so therefore feel obligated to buy the ones that they don't even want to?
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that there are now canon and non canon DVD ranges? :)

It's as official as all the others DVD sets because it's produced by the BBC, but the key thing is that no one is forcing people to buy it.

I wonder why some people are so annoyed by these releases? Is it because some buy all the DVD's so therefore feel obligated to buy the ones that they don't even want to?

Two reasons to be annoyed:

(1) I have bought all the classic DVDs (except "Mark of the Rani" and "Paradise Towers", just couldn't bring myself to spend money on these two stories) so, as a loyal customer, I am not happy that "Zygons" and "Tenth Planet" are being released in vanilla formats prior to their normal release. I do not think this is a good way to treat people who have spent a lot of money with a company.

(2) It doesn't affect me personally, but if I wanted the extras on "Zygons" and the art cards & Tom Baker model I would need to buy the DVD for "Zygons" twice. This release wouldn't be so bad if the DVD contained all the extras, then people could decide whether to buy the DVD on its own or the complete package. As previously mentioned, the BBC have already forced people to pay twice for "Spearhead" and "Aztecs" in order to get "Terror of the Autons" and "Airlock".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Two reasons to be annoyed:

(1) I have bought all the classic DVDs (except "Mark of the Rani" and "Paradise Towers", just couldn't bring myself to spend money on these two stories) so, as a loyal customer, I am not happy that "Zygons" and "Tenth Planet" are being released in vanilla formats prior to their normal release. I do not think this is a good way to treat people who have spent a lot of money with a company.

(2) It doesn't affect me personally, but if I wanted the extras on "Zygons" and the art cards & Tom Baker model I would need to buy the DVD for "Zygons" twice. This release wouldn't be so bad if the DVD contained all the extras, then people could decide whether to buy the DVD on its own or the complete package. As previously mentioned, the BBC have already forced people to pay twice for "Spearhead" and "Aztecs" in order to get "Terror of the Autons" and "Airlock".

Ah yes. I forgot that Tenth Planet and Zygons have been released in these collections ahead of being released individually. I agree, that's not good. I guess that this first release of Zygons won't include the extra scenes that Babelcolour colourised either.

I'm not always keen on the way that some DVD's are combined with others for sale either. I've been itching to buy Revenge of the Cybermen for ages but can't stand the thought of owning The Silver Nemesis. I'm not sure how I feel about the Special Editions either. It's great that they can improve the quality but annoying to have to re-buy DVD's to get full range of extra's etc. Obviously I can just palm the old versions off on eBay but it's not always practical. Tom Baker signed my original Robots of Death DVD. I'm fairly sure that I won't be able to track him down to sign a Special Edition if I bought it too.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah yes. I forgot that Tenth Planet and Zygons have been released in these collections ahead of being released individually. I agree, that's not good. I guess that this first release of Zygons won't include the extra scenes that Babelcolour colourised either.

I'm not always keen on the way that some DVD's are combined with others for sale either. I've been itching to buy Revenge of the Cybermen for ages but can't stand the thought of owning The Silver Nemesis. I'm not sure how I feel about the Special Editions either. It's great that they can improve the quality but annoying to have to re-buy DVD's to get full range of extra's etc. Obviously I can just palm the old versions off on eBay but it's not always practical. Tom Baker signed my original Robots of Death DVD. I'm fairly sure that I won't be able to track him down to sign a Special Edition if I bought it too.

I don't really collect the DVDs, but I've decided to start building up a small collection of two or three of my favourite stories from each Doctor. For some reason Terror of the Vervoids is my favourite Sixth Doctor story, but if I wanted to get that DVD I'd usually have to but the rest of Trial of a Time Lord with it which I wasn't too keen on doing. However, in the end I managed to get a copy of Terror of the Vervoids off eBay for ~£4 so if you want to get Revenge of the Cybermen there are often a few bargains on eBay you could try buying.

Anyway, what's so bad about Silver Nemesis? It's obviously not going to win any awards in terms of plot, but compared to the ridiculous and garish crap of the previous season it's fairly normal. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't really collect the DVDs, but I've decided to start building up a small collection of two or three of my favourite stories from each Doctor. For some reason Terror of the Vervoids is my favourite Sixth Doctor story, but if I wanted to get that DVD I'd usually have to but the rest of Trial of a Time Lord with it which I wasn't too keen on doing. However, in the end I managed to get a copy of Terror of the Vervoids off eBay for ~£4 so if you want to get Revenge of the Cybermen there are often a few bargains on eBay you could try buying.

Anyway, what's so bad about Silver Nemesis? It's obviously not going to win any awards in terms of plot, but compared to the ridiculous and garish crap of the previous season it's fairly normal. :)

Ahh, great thanks. I'll keep my eye out on eBay.

There's nothing particularly bad about Silver Nemesis (even if the conclusion is gob-smackingly similar to Remembrance of the Daleks that went out a few weeks earlier), it's just not one that I would buy otherwise. I did own it on VHS but that was the extended version that made more sense and also had a nice shiny sleeve. I gather the version on the DVD is the broadcast version? (No doubt another Special edition in the works then :)).
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been itching to buy Revenge of the Cybermen for ages but can't stand the thought of owning The Silver Nemesis.

Neither could I but I wanted Revenge so much I bought the double pack and chucked Silver Nemesis out. Wouldn't have it in the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brouhaha wrote: »
    Neither could I but I wanted Revenge so much I bought the double pack and chucked Silver Nemesis out. Wouldn't have it in the house.

lol. I still can't believe that I am now the proud owner of Time and the Rani, thanks to the Regeneration box set, and I can't even chuck it out because it's part of the set. It'll have to get watched one day, just because I know it's there...
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    No DVD should be thrown out. ESPECIALLY a Who DVD :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No DVD should be thrown out. ESPECIALLY a Who DVD :cry:

Not even if the DVD were Paradise Towers?

What about if we all clubbed together, bought up the entire stock of Paradise Towers DVD's and chucked em, and then someone could infiltrate the BBC and tape over the master tape with an episode of Doctors.

Then Paradise Towers could be added to the list of missing episodes. Imagine that. In years to come people will be saying do you remember how good Paradise Towers was? If only we could still watch that masterpiece!
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I made the mistake of buying the happiness patrol recently. I wish I hadn't but its not being chucked! D:
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brouhaha wrote: »

You could always have attempted to sell it on eBay for ~£2.
    You never know, there might be someone out there wanting to buy Silver Nemesis.
    Not even if the DVD were Paradise Towers?

What about if we all clubbed together, bought up the entire stock of Paradise Towers DVD's and chucked em, and then someone could infiltrate the BBC and tape over the master tape with an episode of Doctors.

I'd rather watch Paradise Towers on loop rather than have to endure bilge such as The Sun Makers, Underworld, The Twin Dilemma or Delta and the Bannermen again.

I think there should be a "Time" box set released which contains restored versions of everyone's favourite classics Time Flight, Timelash and Time and the Rani.