Options

Glee (US Pace) (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    However if Lea decides not to return than storyline wise Glee will be without its two biggest stars and central theme in the show.
  • Options
    NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I think Glee should have an episode with all the outtakes in from the past seasons, that'll be the best tribute I think.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people should stop trying to second guess what Lea will or won't do in terms of Glee and a Finn exit storyline. She's just lost her boyfriend (or fiancé, depending what news source you read), she's grieving and I'm sure the future of Glee is the last thing on her mind right now!!

And it should be the last thing on everyone else's minds too. A young man has died, what happens to the show is completely and utterly irrelevant, and will be for quite some time.
  • Options
    NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I think people should stop trying to second guess what Lea will or won't do in terms of Glee and a Finn exit storyline. She's just lost her boyfriend (or fiancé, depending what news source you read), she's grieving and I'm sure the future of Glee is the last thing on her mind right now!!

And it should be the last thing on everyone else's minds too. A young man has died, what happens to the show is completely and utterly irrelevant, and will be for quite some time.

All Lea would probably want to do right now is curl up on the settee with a hot chocolate and probably a big bar of chocolate.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member

People grieve in different ways. Thinking about how Cory's work will be remembered and who will be involved is one such way. No one's saying Lea should do anything.
  • Options
    girlinstaticgirlinstatic Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I agree. I also can't see Lea leaving Glee either, she has already said how important the show and her fellow cast are to her not only in her career but for their friendships.

It would be an utter cop out because the whole central premise of Glee has been the relationship between Rachel Berry and Finn Hudson. If Finn's suddenly off screen somewhere never to be seen again, it makes that whole story and the parallel with Will Schuster's story and relationship with Emma Pilsbury completely worthless.
    The show has built up to a Rachel and Finn endgame pairing, no matter what other circumstances were going on - ie her on Broadway and becoming a star - and for that to not happen for any other reason than the death of Cory Monteith being reflected on screen with Finn Hudson would be a slap in the fact to all that their relationship has meant and all their characters have been through on screen together.

I get what you're saying, but in the scheme of things the emotional wellfare of the cast and Lea is more important than the show and any story in it imo. Personally I think it may just be too painful to even go there but we'll see. I will respect what ever decision is made, even if they completely scrap it.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I disagree. Glee showcased Cory Monteith's talent and it gave him a platform from which he used his fame to promote help for those most in need. The fate of the show is tied in with his untimely and tragic death because it was the vehicle through which his talent became known to the world.
    Speculation about how his death will affect the show is both natural and expected, especially among fans, many of whom will identify with the character of Finn Hudson that he so cleverly and beautifully created and brought to life on screen.
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    People grieve in different ways. Thinking about how Cory's work will be remembered and who will be involved is one such way. No one's saying Lea should do anything.

Indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I get what you're saying, but in the scheme of things the emotional wellfare of the cast and Lea is more important than the show and any story in it imo. Personally I think it may just be too painful to even go there but we'll see. I will respect what ever decision is made, even if they completely scrap it.

Seconded. If, and only if, Lea agrees (along with the cast) that she is prepared to do a death/sudden exit storyline for Finn, that is the only scenario in which the writers should then consider doing it. From what we know about the production of the show I have every faith that the execs will put the feelings of the cast first, and Lea above all else. As they should.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd just like to comment as well that although Lea has stated in the past that she would always stay with the show, this is a situation that probably never entered her darkest nightmares and changes everything, so as far as I'm concerned those comments are off the table. I don't think anyone should be surprised at all if she doesn't come back. Oh, I feel for her so much right now. I can't imagine what this must be like. :(
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think someone like you shouldn't tell us what to do. Gleeks all around the world are upset about this and as fans, we are discussing how our favourite show should honor a talented young actor who suddenly died and how they should leave his legacy. So please don't tell us what we should and should not do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think someone like you shouldn't tell us what to do. Gleeks all around the world are upset about this and as fans, we are discussing how our favourite show should honor a talented young actor who suddenly died and how they should leave his legacy. So please don't tell us what we should and should not do.

Oh for goodness sake, did you miss the bit of my post where I said "I think"? That denotes opinion, by the way.

And my opinion is that the future of Glee is not something that anyone who's connected with the show will be caring about for a long time, and certainly not something Lea would be thinking about, so it's much more respectful not to be talking about what she will or won't be doing. Remembering Cory's time on the show (his legacy) and speculating about whether Lea's mental state would allow her to do a funeral episode or not are two different things entirely, and in my opinion the latter is disrespectful just a couple of days after his death. She's in mourning, she wants to be left alone (her publicist's statement), and it's entirely pointless and in my opinion inappropriate to be discussing whether she will or won't be able to play a scene of Rachel at Finn's funeral! I think it's insensitive.

But as I said, very clearly, that's just my opinion, and all I wanted to do was express that, just like you've been expressing yours. You're no more entitled to do that than anyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But as I said, very clearly, that's just my opinion, and all I wanted to do was express that, just like you've been expressing yours. You're no more entitled to do that than anyone else.

Other peoples' expressing of their opinions haven't involved telling anyone else they shouldn't be doing something however.
  • Options
    JournalJournal Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other peoples' expressing of their opinions haven't involved telling anyone else they shouldn't be doing something however.

Exactly, and not near what one might think as a condescending tone.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd kill him off and use it as an issue. It's what Glee is good at.

Sounds terrible but the character wasn't really missed when he wasn't present during the back end of last season

I think the idea that Glee is finished is a bit much. We've had far more integral characters die and series continue in the past
  • Options
    xxLoopy_louxxxxLoopy_louxx Posts: 21,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »

Sounds terrible but the character wasn't really missed when he wasn't present during the back end of last season

I think the idea that Glee is finished is a bit much. We've had far more integral characters die and series continue in the past

I wouldn't say he wasn't missed, I missed him from the last few episodes. Besides, this is a different situation completely. Cory only missed a couple of episodes back then, now he won't be coming back at all. Finn has been one of the main characters in Glee since the first season so of course he will be missed by fans of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"I think" denotes opinion, and it was the first two words of my post. I wasn't telling anyone else what to do. Should I have put "In my opinion" at the end of every sentence? I can't edit my post anymore, but for the avoidance of doubt, please take that phrase as being implicitly added at the end of every sentence!

And I can express an opinion that people shouldn't do something, that's the nature of opinions! I can't force anyone to do anything, so all I'm doing is stating an opinion, it does not and cannot mean anything more. I would've thought that would have been obvious, but apparently I didn't signpost it enough, so apologies.
    Journal wrote: »
    Exactly, and not near what one might think as a condescending tone.

I didn't intend it to be in a condescending tone, but I'm entitled to say I think the conversation in here is inappropriate. It was meant to be an annoyed tone, not a condescending one. But that clearly didn't come across, so that's my fault. I didn't mean to make annoyance sound condescending, but I stand by the annoyance that I was trying to express, and if there is no other way of doing that than being apparently condescending, then I apologise, but I stand by the content of my post, if not the wording.

Anyway, the important thing is:

As I said, in my opinion there's a difference between discussing Cory's legacy on Glee and speculating wildly about whether Lea will ever be mentally capable of acting a funeral scene for the character of Finn - I think the latter crosses a line that shouldn't be crossed, and I think that it would show respect for her not to engage in such hypothesising. That's the point I was trying to make, and it seems to have been lost in people jumping on the tone of my post...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "I think" denotes opinion, and it was the first two words of my post. I wasn't telling anyone else what to do. Should I have put "In my opinion" at the end of every sentence? I can't edit my post anymore, but for the avoidance of doubt, take that phrase as being implicitly added at the end of every sentence!

And I can express an opinion that people shouldn't do something, that's the nature of opinions! I can't force anyone to do anything, so all I'm doing is stating an opinion! I would've thought that would have been obvious, but apparently I didn't signpost it enough, so apologies.

I didn't intend it to be in a condescending tone, but I'm entitled to say I think the conversation in here is inappropriate, and if that makes me condescending, then so be it. It was meant to be an annoyed tone, not a condescending one.

As I said, there's a difference between discussing Cory's legacy on Glee and speculating wildly about whether Lea will ever be mentally capable of acting a funeral scene for the character of Finn - I think the latter crosses a line that shouldn't be crossed, and I think that it would show respect for her not to engage in such hypothesising. That's the point I was trying to make, and it seems to have been lost in people jumping on the tone of my post...

I take your point there, but I do think you're over-reacting there to our discussion about Lea. No one's said anything that could be considered disrespectful. The closest thing anyone has said to second-guessing her is that she might not be able to do an exit storyline, which is just obvious. Other than that, we're not trying to figure out what she'll do - we're talking about what will happen depending on which way she falls on this issue. We all have opinions on what will happen next but no one is seriously speculating about what Lea will do, just discussing the general unlikelihood of the show returning to normal.

No one in here has shown anything but the utmost respect for Lea, and no one expects her to do anything. We're all just coping with the shock of this loss by trying to ground it in some sort of reality that we can get our heads around - ie. how this will affect the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't telling anyone else what to do.

Except you did tell people what they should or shouldn't be doing:

Obviously you are entitled to an opinion and you're entitled to say that you think discussing the show is somewhat premature but your post came across as judgemental, condescending and patronising in the extreme because people were doing something contrary to your belief about what should (or shouldn't) be happening.
    As you've explained that isn't what your intentions were then hopefully everyone can now just move along and get on with honouring the memory of Cory Monteith in their own individual ways.
    No one in here has shown anything but the utmost respect for Lea, and no one expects her to do anything. We're all just coping with the shock of this loss by trying to ground it in some sort of reality that we can get our heads around - ie. how this will affect the show.

Exactly so. It is inevitable that the future of Glee will be discussed and a part of that is whether or not Lea Michele will continue to be a part of the show.
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Just dropping in to be with my fellow Gleeks at a time like this :(
  • Options
    XOXoAbbieoXOXXOXoAbbieoXOX Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, people are bound to worry about Lea's mental state because this impact's her in a lot of way's both personally and professionally.
    It is natural for people to ponder the outcome of future episodes and series of Glee and wonder how thing's will play out now. It is the only connection to Cory/Finn people have left and fan's of both the actor and character only wonder about how Finn's exit will be finalised.
    I think if people didn't worry about Lea's mental state and just expected her to film an exit storyline would be disrespectful, but the fact people are worried and expressing that there is no pressure on her whatsoever and that it is completely down to the way she wishes to do things, as long as she is OK whichever decision she makes, people are happy.
    I think as long as an exit storyline which gives Finn a fitting send off of some kind happens, people will be happy, regardless of whether Lea wishes to participate or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The thing is, people are bound to worry about Lea's mental state because this impact's her in a lot of way's both personally and professionally.
    It is natural for people to ponder the outcome of future episodes and series of Glee and wonder how thing's will play out now. It is the only connection to Cory/Finn people have left and fan's of both the actor and character only wonder about how Finn's exit will be finalised.
    I think if people didn't worry about Lea's mental state and just expected her to film an exit storyline would be disrespectful, but the fact people are worried and expressing that there is no pressure on her whatsoever and that it is completely down to the way she wishes to do things, as long as she is OK whichever decision she makes, people are happy.
    I think as long as an exit storyline which gives Finn a fitting send off of some kind happens, people will be happy, regardless of whether Lea wishes to participate or not.

Couldn't have put it better myself. In fact, I think the fact that we are all showing so much concern for Lea and how she will react shows that we do actually care about the human consequences about this and are thinking about the future of the show for the right reasons.

If Daniel Craig or Matt Smith died suddenly, after the initial shock everyone would immediately start thinking about what would happen to James Bond or Doctor Who. If one of the Harry Potter trio had died during production everyone would have wondered about that as well. It's just cause and effect, you can't help but wonder about these things. And for a lot of us in here, concentrating on how the show moves on from this is actually part of the grieving process.
  • Options
    xxLoopy_louxxxxLoopy_louxx Posts: 21,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just cause and effect, you can't help but wonder about these things. And for a lot of us in here, concentrating on how the show moves on from this is actually part of the grieving process.
    This, it's all part and parcel of what happens in situations like this, people are bound to wonder what will happen.

Obviously, Lea is going through one of the worst things possible right now but I think once its respectful of Lea and the whole situation in general there's no harm in having a discussion about what will happen with Glee.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »

I disagree but respect your opinion

I liked the development of Finn last season. He became a mentor and began trying to find himself. He may of been absent for a few episodes, but the benefit of being apart of an ensemble cast is that you don't have to be in every episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Having contributed to the thread over the past couple of seasons I feel like I should say something...but there really are no words. It's just so sad, and I feel absolutely devastated for Lea in particular, but of course for Cory's family, friends and castmates.
    It's one of those things that you hope is a sick internet prank, but unfortunately isn't. Such a sad turn of events, a talent who will be missed and an integral part of the cast who will sadly be forever missing.
    RIP Cory.

As for the future of Glee, I really don't know. Out of respect for all the cast and crew I'd understand any decision they make, cancellation, plotlines, whatever. But to be honest I'm guessing it's the last thing on everyone's minds right now, and I really hope the press give Lea and the cast and family time and space to deal with their grief with dignity, not flashing cameras in faces at every opportunity.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Glee Project has been cancelled. Apparently it is unrelated to Cory's death.

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Oxygen-Cancels-THE-GLEE-PROJECT-Decision-Unrelated-to-Monteith-Tragedy-20130716
This discussion has been closed.