Options

Question for Christians

Comments

• Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ishina wrote: »
    Because this is a discussion forum, where people come to discuss ideas. And this thread in particular is to discuss religious beliefs.

It's ok. I understand if you are unwilling or unable to answer.

I did answer, with scripture (the only thing that matters).

I suspect you are a little bit mischievous and not really interested in any answers.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delly wrote: »
    Right. Food Banks, irrigation and the buildings of wells, promotion of fair trade, Christian Aid, World Vision & Tearfund and so on and on and on. Nothing, absolutely nothing to do with evangelism btw just Christianity at work............

Nonsense of course...........

That isn't Christianity. That's stuff Christians do.
    Good stuff which they should keep on doing I may add (provided giving children Bibles doesn't count as charitable work)
  • Options
    dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is Gospel...........therefore it is Christianity........
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say all sorts of nonsense wasn't amusing or interesting.

That isn't an answer. That's the equivalent of me saying "the rational person can see that aliens clearly didn't build the pyramids, but that's because they are too rational and aliens building the pyramids is not a rational thing. Therefore aliens."

Well, it is an answer, because it was a Christian question. The bible is God's inerrant word to Christians.

I hope I amused you anyway, cheers.
  • Options
    dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good stuff which they should keep on doing I may add (provided giving children Bibles doesn't count as charitable work)

I didnt mention Gideons or other evangelistic organisations. I leave that to the Evangelicals!
  • Options
    ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did answer, with scripture (the only thing that matters).
    Yes, but my question was what is your opinion. I wasn't sure if you had one or not at the time, and it seems that you probably don't, so I wont press the issue anymore.
    I suspect you are a little bit mischievous and not really interested in any answers.
    I actually am. I am hoping one day one of you will be able to articulate a decent argument or offer some kind of compelling reason for adhering to ancient middle-eastern tribal taboos and debunked claims about the universe, because I can't for the life of me understand why so many people are beholden to them in 2013.

And sometimes, rare as it may be, a religious person does put forward something interesting to consider that is not just regurgitated scripture or parroted theistic platitudes. It's worth sifting the sludge to find a nugget of gold.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Christian mythology, he came back to life.

Jesus must have died then if he came back to life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slyfox51 wrote: »
    Jesus must have died then if he came back to life.
    I'm just curious: do you think you've successfully handled the question that was raised?
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually am. I am hoping one day one of you will be able to articulate a decent argument or offer some kind of compelling reason for adhering to ancient middle-eastern tribal taboos and debunked claims about the universe, because I can't for the life of me understand why so many people are beholden to them in 2013.

Tell you what, if you're so interested why don't you go and volunteer at the local food bank. You'll find lots of christians there and can join them for a nice friendly chat about what they believe while joining them in actually doing some good in your local community.
    Its certainly a much more positive approach than sitting at your keyboard and typing "convince me."
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Duplicate thread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, no, the question is whether a trivial act of mild disobedience by naive proto-humans who had no sense of shame or right and wrong should be punished by plunging the whole universe into chaos, turning peaceful lifeforms into predatory carnivores, inflicting death, starvation, suffering, painful childbirth, not just on the disobedient, but on all humans who will ever exist from that point.

You may call it a trivial act of mild disobedience by naive proto-humans who had no sense of shame or right and wrong, but to rebel against an infinite God deserves an infinite punishment.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have any sense of why some people are not convinced by a book of ancient hearsay?

I'd be skeptical even there was video evidence of a man waking up from being dead three days. I'd certainly not be convinced by a written statement. I'd absolutely not be convinced by a written statement several centuries old of unknown authorship that has been rewritten who knows how many times.
    If you are going to rubbish the gospels, at least get your facts right
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    If Mary was telling porkies when she told her husband she hadn't slept with anyone else, then she can't have possibly imagined what the lie would snowball into. When it became clear she was definitely pregnant, she then explains to a suspicious Joseph that a god or spirit impregnated her against her will (I'm sure we have a word for that). The story became more complex as she had to keep up the lie, and she even had to explain to her son what "had happened", to keep up the pretence. 2000 years later and there are still a scattering of people who unquestioningly believe in these bronze age fairy tales. It's hilarious.
    Beware of self praise
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    The christian god and Jesus are not the same person according to the Bible. It claims that Jesus was the son of the christian god, and he was specifically created in order to be executed in horrific fashion for dubious reasons. I'm assuming christians don't only worship Jesus, but the christian god too, who is exactly the same person that stars as the dominant (and terrifying) god in the Old Testament book.

Wrong

In the beginning was the Word. The Word was with God and the Word was God.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it is an answer, because it was a Christian question. The bible is God's inerrant word to Christians.

I hope I amused you anyway, cheers.

You weren't asked a Christian question. You were asked how something was foolish.

delly wrote: »
    It is Gospel...........therefore it is Christianity........

No, it's work carried out by Christians. It isn't Christianity by which I mean the religion itself; the set of teachings.
    Okay, granted Jesus preached some pretty decent stuff about loving your neighbour and forgiving people and tolerance (completely add odds with the bigoted conservative evangelicals you can come across every now and then), but the main premise of Jesus dying and coming back to life to save us from our sins and accepting him as our saviour is nonsense.

Also remember that non-Christians can also do most of those things too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Tell you what, if you're so interested why don't you go and volunteer at the local food bank. You'll find lots of christians there and can join them for a nice friendly chat about what they believe while joining them in actually doing some good in your local community.
    Its certainly a much more positive approach than sitting at your keyboard and typing "convince me."
    Because 1) I'm poorly and don't feel like going out right now, 2) When I'm better, my time will be better spent with the other stuff I already do in my local community, and 3) I've found it's usually more productive to discuss these issues at length in text format with other people who are also interested in discussing it, rather than accost a stranger like some kind of annoying street preacher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may call it a trivial act of mild disobedience by naive proto-humans who had no sense of shame or right and wrong, but to rebel against an infinite God deserves an infinite punishment.
    Sure it does. If you're a total psychopath.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Eh, they were quite clearly tricked. A battle of wits between an infinite god and a snake he created solely for manipulation on one side and naive proto-humans on the other is only going to end one way. God stacked the decks and still behaved like the ultimate bad loser. What an ugly little story.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    We know all the Christians you know are too busy carrying out good works to trouble themselves with these sort of conversations, but why not let those who want to discuss it do so, instead of criticising people discussing it? There are lots of people on here and elsewhere who could be doing something better with their time, if that's the standard.

If people don't want to discuss it, safe to say that they won't answer and won't get involved and the threads won't exist. That they do seems to mean some people do want to, even if the standard of discussion doesn't impress you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Wrong

That doesn't mean anything. That literally doesn't mean anything.
    How can you use that utterly incoherent sentence to prove anything wrong?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are going to rubbish the gospels, at least get your facts right
    I'm always so impressed when people come into a thread and tell me I am wrong, but are too smug and self-satisfied to attempt to explain why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Eh, they were quite clearly tricked. A battle of wits between an infinite god and a snake he created solely for manipulation on one side and naive proto-humans on the other is only going to end one way. God stacked the decks and still behaved like the ultimate bad loser. What an ugly little story.

An ugly story and a story that is ongoing and that will have an ugly ending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because 1) I'm poorly and don't feel like going out right now, 2) When I'm better, my time will be better spent with the other stuff I already do in my local community, and 3) I've found it's usually more productive to discuss these issues at length in text format with other people who are also interested in discussing it, rather than accost a stranger like some kind of annoying street preacher.

Sorry you aren't well. Glad you are engaged with your community. In my experience when you talk face to face with people you get more sense than on an inevitably polarised discussion board because people are generally politer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Christianity was supposed to bring people peace? All you ever do is take a fundamentalist hardline view of the Bible and go around making vague threats of Hellfire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because let's be honest, your God is a bit of an unpleasant character. Your Satan actually seems like a nicer guy.
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that one of the parts 'we aren't meant to understand' then. Or do the words (in particular the word "Word") have an original meaning, which perhaps someone can clarify?

Certainly is completely meaningless as it stands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    We know all the Christians you know are too busy carrying out good works to trouble themselves with these sort of conversations, but why not let those who want to discuss it do so, instead of criticising people discussing it? There are lots of people on here and elsewhere who could be doing something better with their time, if that's the standard.

If people don't want to discuss it, safe to say that they won't answer and won't get involved and the threads won't exist. That they do seems to mean some people do want to, even if the standard of discussion doesn't impress you.

I really don't mind people discussing stuff, I really don't. But I don't much care for the tone with which some of these discussions are carried out ..... and I recognise that failing in myself too. its like people are knowingly banging their heads against brick walls and blaming the walls for the pain and confusion that follows. I really don't get it, unless the intention is to goad, of course.