Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Panty shot there...
    Ahhh - standard up-angle stuff...
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell are audience doing at the edge of the podium? CAMERAS should be there!
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The New Seekers? Have we gone back to 1972?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now HERE's a riff that's been sampled all over the place..
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    SgtRock wrote: »
    The New Seekers? Have we gone back to 1972?

They look quite modern for them!

They've cut out about 3 decent acts from the original show! :(
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember this one, but it's a top notch choon!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    They look quite modern for them!

They've cut out about 3 decent acts from the original show! :(

City Boy, ELO and Clout - I could have watched all those again instead of yet more Marshall Hain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is just "Lonely This Christmas" by Mud, isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, this is bloody awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's the PAL speedup and then drop to avoid-the-£2K-bill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Red jumper/lemon slacks is my favourite.
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Well - not a great one this week! - Apart from Sham 69 of course! ;)

If I didn't know better - I might have thought they'd got the tapes mixed up with a show from the early 70's instead! :o
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Sham 69 to kick off with and the rest crap.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next one sounds a lot better...including Jilted John. :D
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a dreadful version of Boogie, Oogie, Oogie - way too fast!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    Next one sounds a lot better...including Jilted John. :D

It's so unfair ;);)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a non-descript song Legs & Co were dancing to, and now The New Seekers, past their sell by date!

I didn't know Neil Morrissey was their lead singer :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No proper Video from the film again - just whathisname wiggling his chest ;);)
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a good start to the show with Sham 69! Unfortunately it was downhill after that. Seemed a bit strange having three Legs and Co performances. Although we know why, they would never have intentionally had three, so seems a bit inconsistent. Looking forward to the Rezillos and Jilted John next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's crucial that DLT is cleared by October or we will miss The Skids doing The Saints Are Coming because he presents it's only appearance.

Yes I hope so too, by then it will be a year since he was arrested, you'd think it would be resolved by then. I'm just thankful that most of my favourite songs for the rest of the year are not on banned episodes or are repeated. The Jam Down In The Tube Station At Midnight is on a Peter Powell episode thank god :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    What a non-descript song Legs & Co were dancing to, and now The New Seekers, past their sell by date!

I didn't know Neil Morrissey was their lead singer :D

Quite a good Legs and Co routine none the less, it did look like they were going to do the full monty for a moment ;)
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info re episodes. Next week does look better and, bummer, I am away working so will have to catch it some time: Rezillos looks great and Jilted John.

Tonight: loved the Justin Heywood. Never really liked it before, but this live version was really good with the TOTP orchestra in its element.

New Seekers had had their peak five years before, but since Lyn Paul left (which neither she nor they ever recovered from), they had had about three minor hits. This one may have been their last (not got Hit Singles book with me), but I thought at the time it was good and this confirms it. This is a sophisticated piece of pop and you have to think that Bucks Fizz were influenced by this (I mean something like Now These Days are Gone). Looking at the haircuts, it almost could have been Bucks Fizz but we are two and a half years away.

What I love about this is the way that naff can suddenly seem good thirty five years on.

Cannot be said for Sham '69. The song is an OK piece of pop and Jimmy Pursey is a good lead singer. Looks like a period piece now.

Raydio were excellent. Ray Parker Jr before Ghostbusters of course, but in 1978 this was cutting edge. The song has not dated though for me. I loved it then.

Child--does anyone know much about them. They all looked alike. I kept thinking of Billy Fury's version, a much stronger voice. But in the end I came round: this was a half decent performance. I cannot remember if this was a hit. I know they had just one big hit, but I cannot remember it. They all looked alike. What can you do with a year in which a group appeared of good-looking blond guys calling themselves Child? Hum . .
    They'd been around for ages hadn't they? Since 1976. They looked just like 1976.

I do remember that early in their career they posed naked to get attention. I mean their pride and joys were concealed but not much else. A pretty unusual thing to do then--not now of course with McFly getting their kit off all the time. Gladly if not sadly I do not now possess that photo. Really interesting period piece. But who were they?:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Four episodes to look forward to in just eight days assuming someone posts the UK Gold versions of the Yewtree hosted ones.
    Sadly, the next two Yewtreed episodes didn't get a UK Gold airing...:(
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Child did a cover of the Searchers---when you walk in the room-- I think it was also from 1978 but wasn't really a hit.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    It was far too hot earlier to sit with the lap top on my lap while watching the show. It's not that much cooler now, to be fair, but I'll cut in with my commentary while watching the late night repeat.

Sham 69 - Love this. It's bubblegum punk rather than spit punk, but sod it. It's good to pogo to. This was also on an ad in the 90s, but I can't remember what for.

A Taste Of Honey - Very funky. Guy in the purple shirt in particular loving it. His elbows should carry warning lights.

Justin Heyward - Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful...hair. The song's pretty good too. Actually I really like this so I'm glad it's on again.

Legs & Co - Oh that's unfortunate. Boob sweat leaking through the leotards! That's hot studio lights for you. Also, mistimed clapping and just pretty much giving up on the routine altogether for the last 30 seconds. Did Flick get bored?

The New Seekers - A great riff spoilt by weak lyrics. They obviously thought, 'This is a good melody. But what can we fill it with?'

City Boy - Dear me, that woman looks bored. Not even Rodney Bewes chipping in has cheered her up.

ELO - I like ELO but this isn't particularly grabbing me. It's no Mr Blue Sky or Confusion.

Clout - Seriously, that lead singer needs to get herself a good bra. She'll give herself a good black eye if she's not careful.

Raydio - Cool tune. Guy on the right doing the impossible...making the tambourine sexy! Second guy from the left...like a soul brother Bez.

More Legs & Co - Again? Thought the singer of Dancing In The City had recorded an appearance on the TOTP. Seems odd they'd show Legs & Co's dance again rather than repeat the act's actual appearance if they had it.

Child - ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

John Travolta and Olivia Newton - No Olivia Newton John this week, just Olivia Newton as not even a nanosecond of Grease footage can be seen. Kid's intro cut short like his nethers in those dungarees. I hope he didn't need to sneeze while he was wearing them.
This discussion has been closed.