Options

Anyone else think repeating Colin's Sandwich would be the best tribute to Mel Smith?

cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...Of course all his more well-known stuff is great, (esp Alas Smith & Jones and Not the 9 O'Clock News), and I hope they'll re-show lots of that to mark Mel's passing. But I always thought Colin's Sandwich was his finest hour. It was warm and funny and quirky, even quite touching at times, and it showed just how good an actor Mel was. It's one of his less well known TV shows, but I'd love to see one of the channels repeat this sitcom as a tribute...anyone else agree?

ETA: I've just realised there's already another thread about Mel: (off to read it now); apologies if this point has already been covered!

Comments

• Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i do, remember it well, it was great :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    ...Of course all his more well-known stuff is great, (esp Alas Smith & Jones and Not the 9 O'Clock News), and I hope they'll re-show lots of that to mark Mel's passing. But I always thought Colin's Sandwich was his finest hour. It was warm and funny and quirky, even quite touching at times, and it showed just how good an actor Mel was. It's one of his less well known TV shows, but I'd love to see one of the channels repeat this sitcom as a tribute...anyone else agree?

ETA: I've just realised there's already another thread about Mel: (off to read it now); apologies if this point has already been covered!

No the best thing they could do and should do is release a complete Smith & Jones DVD boxset!

Fans have demanded it for years yet the BBC doesnt give us what the public wants.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes,I too thought that was very funny.Cant remember it ever being repeated though.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 'Not the 9 o'Clock News' repeats on Gold look SO dated 30 plus years on,of course not remembering the news stories of the time that are being parodied just adds to the sense of it being a 'long time ago'.:o

60 is no age at which to die these days but reading about his health problems/addictions puts it into a sad context.:(
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His finest hour had to be playing "Jumbo Wiffy", the BBC Light Entertainment boss in Filthy, Rich & Catflap.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the best thing they could do and should do is release a complete Smith & Jones DVD boxset!

Fans have demanded it for years yet the BBC doesnt give us what the public wants.

Often when the BBC get blamed for not releasing something on DVD it is actually a rights issue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    It depends how much it'd be for rights and clearance. It's all very well paying tribute to somebody, but if it costs them a shed load, they'd probably just settle for a one off retrospective special on his life.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would certainly be better than showing "alas smith and jones", which I think would only show up how bad ...err....the other one ... was. In my opinion.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like Colin's Sandwich and a complete Not The 9 O'clock News on DVD.
    I'm sure Colin's Sandwich nearly happened a few years ago. Then dropped off the release schedule.

Maybe rights issues and Chris Langham being in the first series of Not, makes a complete Not awkward.
  • Options
    RINGWAYMANRINGWAYMAN Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Shame that more of his work couldn't be shown when he was alive..!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Often when the BBC get blamed for not releasing something on DVD it is actually a rights issue.

Damn rights why cant things be easier.
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    It would be good if Dave had a regular slot for these older classics
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like Colin's Sandwich and a complete Not The 9 O'clock News on DVD.
    I'm sure Colin's Sandwich nearly happened a few years ago. Then dropped off the release schedule.

Maybe rights issues and Chris Langham being in the first series of Not, makes a complete Not awkward.

Talking of Langham, can I assume the first series of 'The Thick Of It' is a no no for retransmission?

I was debating tracking the DVDs down, as I've only ever seen 'In The Loop' & wondered how similar 'Thick' was.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RINGWAYMAN wrote: »
    Shame that more of his work couldn't be shown when he was alive..!

He did have a big part in BBC's "Dancing On The Edge"..probably his last TV part before he died.
  • Options
    Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, Colin's Sandwich is a long forgotten minor sit-com.

It only gets a mention when long forgotten sit-coms are debated.
  • Options
    AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    His finest hour had to be playing "Jumbo Wiffy", the BBC Light Entertainment boss in Filthy, Rich & Catflap.

Who uncannily resembled Jim Moir who was Head of LE at the time...
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Talking of Langham, can I assume the first series of 'The Thick Of It' is a no no for retransmission?

I was debating tracking the DVDs down, as I've only ever seen 'In The Loop' & wondered how similar 'Thick' was.
    Hasnt stopped Langham making a mini series for youtube

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a499791/chris-langham-former-hollyoaks-star-lee-otway-for-new-miniseries.html
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GOLD repeat Bottom with Chris Langham's roles as Tightmouth Larry and a bloke in a wheelchair who gets pushed in to an empty lift.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe because the Langham fuss has died down a bit. He is a talented comedy person, but its harder to watch programs with him in now.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    The 'Not the 9 o'Clock News' repeats on Gold look SO dated 30 plus years on,of course not remembering the news stories of the time that are being parodied just adds to the sense of it being a 'long time ago'.:o

I recently watched several original NTNOCN episodes on YouTube and it was clear to see why none of them have ever been broadcast or released in their complete form since their original transmission.

For instance, one episode finished with a parody country song about a guy called Roland Davies, who I'd never heard of and couldn't find any information about on the internet either - until a search of the Guardian archive revealed that he was a train driver who defied his union to take a train out during the rail strike of early 1982.

What would that mean to people if they saw it 31 years on?

(The episodes also featured loads of references to the Polish Solidarity movement as well.)
  • Options
    frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    For instance, one episode finished with a parody country song about a guy called Roland Davies)

I remember that episode, mainly because I had no idea what it was about at the time. The Internet really is great. It's like our brains got a million times bigger. Back then I didn't understand a sketch on TV and had pretty much zero chance of researching what it was about, now I have access to a tool that pretty much grants me magical powers compared to fifty years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »

After all this time I still havent got round to watching it yet. Grabbed it off UKNova ages ago . Is it any good?
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to see Colin's Sandwich again so a DVD release would be great.

I thought Mel was brilliant as Colin...at the time I thought there was a kind of modern 'Hancock' vibe to him, which is high praise indeed from me. :)
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    I recently watched several original NTNOCN episodes on YouTube and it was clear to see why none of them have ever been broadcast or released in their complete form since their original transmission.

For instance, one episode finished with a parody country song about a guy called Roland Davies, who I'd never heard of and couldn't find any information about on the internet either - until a search of the Guardian archive revealed that he was a train driver who defied his union to take a train out during the rail strike of early 1982.

What would that mean to people if they saw it 31 years on?

(The episodes also featured loads of references to the Polish Solidarity movement as well.)
    I could have told you that. He was due to retire the next week, so went to work anyway, partly for old time's sake, but mainly to make sure he got his retirement leaving clock from the boss.

Whether or not it's dated, it's a great little song, and features a very very young John Alford of London's Burning, Grange Hill, and newspaper drugs sting fame.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I remember loving Colins Sandwich at the time but i have no idea how it has dated it is or whether i would still like it.

I would love to find out though!