Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 51)

Comments

• Options
    jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    I think that's exactly what WILL happen!

Certainly ITV will win the battle of the peaks, and they will be in a pr frenzy about that. Wonder if Cummins is on annual leave? ;)

People hear the news on ITV, turn on the BBC. No way will ITV win
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Well ITV were clearly well prepared for this - a specially themed ad break and an 'It's a boy' ident leading in to the News at Ten.

Were all the ad breaks based on babies? I saw the Argos one before switching.
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long Live Britain will try again next Monday at 9pm on BBC1.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    The newsreader was cut off before she finished her report. Then onto the meerkats
    Royal reporters Aleksandr Orlov and Sergei Vladimanov. :D
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C4 have another 4 part drama in August - Southcliffe. Sounds depressing stuff again - be interesting to see if it's aired over a week or a month.
    http://www.channel4.com/info/press/programme-information/southcliffe

C4 though really need to be getting a show that had the mass appeal of Teachers or Shameless back in the schedules though - edgy doesn't need to mean depressing. Viewers just want something that's an enjoyable but not shallow hour of TV and something you wouldn't really find on BBC1 or ITV.

And in other C4 news they're essentially reviving Supernanny as they've completely run out of ideas:
    http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/nanny-mewes-answers-families-calls-for-help-in-new-channel-4-series
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the lovely Sophie Raworth is on double pay for BBC1's Born To Be King.
    Had to do the whole thing twice for Born To Be Queen, which will now never be seen.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly wasn't expecting as much fuss as this. I thought half an hour of News Special tops. :o

At least they kept it quiet until after EastEnders. :D
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I would have put Born To Be King on earlier, the live coverage wasn't necessary after 9 and this is far more watchable.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Joe40 wrote: »
    I hope the lovely Sophie Raworth is on double pay for BBC1's Born To Be King.
    Had to do the whole thing twice for Born To Be Queen, which will now never be seen.
    TBH, 75% of this could be used for the Queen version and most would be none the wiser.

This programme uses a lot of Katy Perry's music in the background...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    BBC America has come on board to co-produce Atlantis. The fantasy drama is now slated for an autumn premiere on the U.S. channel too. (source)
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    No it's not. Most of us will be dead by the time the genetic lottery winner takes the throne.

A child has been born. No name. Thats it. A child. Not Jesus. It's not the second coming

We are in a digital age. There is no need for a 'normal' channel to break broadcast. There are nigh on 20 channels broadcasting this news. Repeating the same endless guff and filler.
    jackc1806 wrote: »
    Exactly why it should be broadcast on the BBC but from a commercial and ratings point of view ITV have missed a trick- no one is gonna watch their coverage of the BBC.

I take it both of you would have these exact same opinions if the Queen died. That because we live in a digital world or because commercial companies have to look at ratings that ITV/C4/C5 shouldn't report big news?! ITV were wholly justified to show the news coverage they did tonight, and despite not having the resources for rolling news, they did a bloody good job.
    Fudd wrote: »
    Here's the issue - ITV is a commercial channel but some of the time it's not expected to act like one.

Common sense prevails. Thank you Fudd.
    Brekkie wrote: »
    C4 have another 4 part drama in August - Southcliffe. Sounds depressing stuff again - be interesting to see if it's aired over a week or a month.
    http://www.channel4.com/info/press/programme-information/southcliffe

C4 though really need to be getting a show that had the mass appeal of Teachers or Shameless back in the schedules though - edgy doesn't need to mean depressing. Viewers just want something that's an enjoyable but not shallow hour of TV and something you wouldn't really find on BBC1 or ITV.

And in other C4 news they're essentially reviving Supernanny as they've completely run out of ideas:
    http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/nanny-mewes-answers-families-calls-for-help-in-new-channel-4-series

I saw that 'Supernanny 2.0' news earlier. I laughed and thought the exact same as you.

Southcliffe does look a bit dreary and I think i'll give it a miss. I think they may go weekly with it, but this is Channel 4, so you never know.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Were all the ad breaks based on babies? I saw the Argos one before switching.

Yep. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live At The Apollo starting 5 minutes earlier (11.15pm) will allow the Beeb to join the News Channel at midnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jda135 wrote: »
    I take it both of you would have these exact same opinions if the Queen died. That because we live in a digital world or because commercial companies have to look at ratings that ITV/C4/C5 shouldn't report big news?! ITV were wholly justified to show the news coverage they did tonight, and despite not having the resources for rolling news, they did a bloody good job.

Common sense prevails. Thank you Fudd.

I saw that 'Supernanny 2.0' news earlier. I laughed and thought the exact same as you.

Southcliffe does look a bit dreary and I think i'll give it a miss. I think they may go weekly with it, but this is Channel 4, so you never know.

I think that the BBC as the PSB has to air news announcements like this, ITV does not and whether the do or not was up to them. I would imagine if the Queen died ITV would carry coverage, at their own choice out of respect- from a commercial point of view ITV made the wrong decision carrying an hour of natter about something that a 60 second bulletin would have explained concisely before playing a high rating show that the people who didn't want to watch Sophie Raworth talk inanely and repeated clips would have watched. Very few would have watched ITV over BBC and from a business point of view it made little sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky News trying to do the paper review in torrential rain :D
  • Options
    NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the BBC as the PSB has to air news announcements like this, ITV does not and whether the do or not was up to them. I would imagine if the Queen died ITV would carry coverage, at their own choice out of respect- from a commercial point of view ITV made the wrong decision carrying an hour of natter about something that a 60 second bulletin would have explained concisely before playing a high rating show that the people who didn't want to watch Sophie Raworth talk inanely and repeated clips would have watched. Very few would have watched ITV over BBC and from a business point of view it made little sense.
    ITV is also a PSB. You're talking about 1 hour. Long Lost Families will be rescheduled.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    I expect the Corrie default OAP brigade will ensure Itv will win the 9pm ratings comfortably. Probably 6million for Itv in comparison to 3m for bbc1 simply because of the Coro St/Long lost family viewers sticking with Itv. But their coverage has been highly criticised tonight for being very poor so tomorrows ratings win for Itv (which no doubt will be hyped to death by Cummins, Large and co) will be no indication of what coverage the public preferred.
  • Options
    Forum Member

ITV is a PSB as well. It's not a purely commercial broadcaster - it has requirements as part of its licence. Whilst I don't believe tonight's coverage forms part of those requirements, it's probably better for ITV in the long run that they do cover major events like these. Even though I did question the decision earlier tonight, in retrospect I think ITV comes out of it looking better for having dedicated coverage to it. The pros outway the cons I think, and that audience for LLF will still come back next week - they've merely postponed an episode, and they get an extra week out of it as a result.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    I expect the Corrie default OAP brigade will ensure Itv will win the 9pm ratings comfortably. Probably 6million for Itv in comparison to 3m for bbc1 simply because of the Coro St/Long lost family viewers sticking with Itv. But their coverage has been highly criticised tonight for being very poor so tomorrows ratings win for Itv (which no doubt will be hyped to death by Cummins, Large and co) will be no indication of what coverage the public preferred.

I will be absolutely stunned if ITV wins the 9pm slot. We have seen time and time and time again that on the whole audiences turn to the BBC for big occasions like this, I do not see why tonight will have been any different just because of, as you like to disparagingly call it, "the Corrie default OAP brigade."
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect the Corrie default OAP brigade will ensure Itv will win the 9pm ratings comfortably. Probably 6million for Itv in comparison to 3m for bbc1 simply because of the Coro St/Long lost family viewers sticking with Itv. But their coverage has been highly criticised tonight for being very poor so tomorrows ratings win for Itv will be no indication of what coverage the public preferred.

I will be amazed if ITV dominate primetime, I got an app alert and flicked to BBC News, then Sky News, I didn't consider ITV. I understand ITV got to air first, but I expect many people to flick to BBC One by default on hearing the breaking news, and stay there until 10.30. Also add on the 5m EE viewers as a lead-in.

Ratings tomorrow will be very interesting, no doubt delayed...:)
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Itv will win the 9pm ratings tonight. They've won it by using the Coro St lead in and knowing that 5million-odd would tune to the channel to watch LLF. Their PR operation will be in overdrive tomorrow morning about how they beat the BBC. If they somehow don't beat the BBC1 ratings, it would be quite surprising given the hugely favourable scheduling conditions they had.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Itv will win the 9pm ratings tonight. They've won it by using the Coro St lead in and knowing that 5million-odd would tune to the channel to watch LLF. Their PR operation will be in overdrive tomorrow morning about how they beat the BBC. If they somehow don't beat the BBC1 ratings, it would be quite surprising given the hugely facourable scheduling conditions they had.

It's so obvious what you're doing... :D
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Itv will win the 9pm ratings tonight. They've won it by using the Coro St lead in and knowing that 5million-odd would tune to the channel to watch LLF. Their PR operation will be in overdrive tomorrow morning about how they beat the BBC. If they somehow don't beat the BBC1 ratings, it would be quite surprising given the hugely favourable scheduling conditions they had.

BBC ALWAYS beats ITV in a head-to-head. There's no reason why the same shouldn't happen tomorrow.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If ITV beat BBC One in the 9pm ratings - we will unofficially name the new arrival Prince Samuel W(ales) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Newcastle wrote: »
    ITV is also a PSB. You're talking about 1 hour. Long Lost Families will be rescheduled.

I meant it isn't the main PSB- only saying LLF would have stood a better chance of taking audience from the BBC rather than the broadcasting inferior news on the same item.
This discussion has been closed.