Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 51)

Comments

• Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV's royal baby coverage beat BBC1's 3.5m vs 2.9m last night.

Both pretty low though, ITV would have got 1.5-2m more had they stuck with LLF.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wanted the ratings to be in a dedicated blue font
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »

Pleasantly surprised by the lack of interest in what is essentially an everyday occurrence.

Looks like the ratings chasing move by the Beeb didn't pay off. ITV's programme held up well compared to the Beeb but not well enough to justify disrupting their usual programming.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,256
    Forum Member
    BBC One's coverage averaged 2.91m (13.4%) between 20:30 and 22:00, peaking with 3.39m (15.3%) at 20:55.

ITV's coverage averaged 3.44m (16.1%) in the 9pm hour, and peaked with 5.24m (24.0%) in the first five minutes.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ridiculously low figures which just shows that it was only the hard core and the usual suspects that were getting carried away last night. The rest of us just didnt really care that much.

itv should have kept Long Lost Family given the lack of interest in the overkill coverage!
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Burton and Taylor - 1168
    the best thing on telly last night :p
    Big Bro - 1415 (+1 131k)
    Undercover Boss - 1440
    Dont Blame FB - 924k
    Born to be King - 1990
    Rick Stein - 1703
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC News at 10: 3.97m (20.3%)
    ITV News & Weather (10pm): 2.06m (10.7%)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Burton and Taylor - 1168

best thing on telly last night :p
    Impressive audience.

Good to see a quality piece like this benefit from the media circus around a baby being born.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burton and Taylor - 1168

best thing on telly last night :p

It was. Not a fan of Bonham Carter but she was superb
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    BBC News at 10: 3.97m (20.3%)
    ITV News & Weather (10pm): 2.06m (10.7%)
    BBC NaT only about 1 share point higher than last Monday.

Not really what I expected at all.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One's coverage averaged 2.91m (13.4%) between 20:30 and 22:00, peaking with 3.39m (15.3%) at 20:55.

ITV's coverage averaged 3.44m (16.1%) in the 9pm hour, and peaked with 5.24m (24.0%) in the first five minutes.

Immensely disappointing for both there. Bet there will be a few confused people at BBC and ITV looking at the figures.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Ch5 beats Ch4 for the first time ever in weekly shares since it's launch in 1997

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jul/23/channel-4-channel-5-viewing?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    Dancc wrote: »
    It's the news I thought I would be breaking yesterday. But for me unless that's what the official data shows then it didn't happen.

A few key points to address from the article:
    1) 4Seven should never be included. It's all repeats but not a timeshift channel and C5 has no equivalent.
    2) Dates was not a ratings success. don't insult our intelligence C4 spokeswoman.
    3) Whilst I agree we should be looking at overall performance across the entire day, I love the idea that focussing on 6am-1am i.e. by far the most important 19 hour period of the day is "selective" as if we're not getting the full picture without those few hours where C4 barely beats C5's overnight gambling with general entertainment.

Overall though C5 come out of this well and it's nice to see them get a bit of good publicity for a change. No surprise to see C4 on the defensive but no sound case was made.

That article shows one of Channel 4's main problems. They focus on their portfolio channels. However I'm sure I read somewhere that they were criticised for letting the performance of the main channel slip. Channel 4 is the main channel and that needs work. Some E4 shows could move to the main channel more often than they do to bolster some youth demos.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Immensely disappointing for both there. Bet there will be a few confused people at BBC and ITV looking at the figures.
    I think we might of seen the last of the news specials.

Although having said I see BBC1 are still going on. Quick, pull them off, ratings are plummeting! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burton and Taylor - 1168
    the best thing on telly last night :p
    Big Bro - 1415 (+1 131k)
    Undercover Boss - 1440
    Dont Blame FB - 924k
    Born to be King - 1990
    Rick Stein - 1703

As far as I can see, no one really benefited.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

Blimey, nobody cared did they? I'm quite surprised by that. I thought I was in a minority when it came to being apathetic towards this news story. Not quite the massive ratings story some were expecting it to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Big Bro - 1415 (+1 131k)
    Dont Blame FB - 924k
    Another comfortable C5 victory.

BB down slightly but still well above where it was prior to last week. C4 left in the dust.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    can't believe BandT is the last BBC4 drama

I really really hate the DQF policy at BBC, genuine quality like that shouldn't be lost to the channel :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Blimey, nobody cared did they? I'm quite surprised by that. I thought I was in a minority when it came to being apathetic towards this news story. Not quite the massive ratings story some were expecting it to be.

I don't think its the fact that 'nobody cared', but that all there was to say was that a baby had been born, not hours of waffle.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »

I think people do care, but they didn't want to watch rolling coverage of nothing. They found out the news and got on with things. If you add up the peak across all channels it would be high, and Sky News and BBC News probably had an above average day.

But clearly, the coverage was too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Skins fail miserably again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Did Skins fail miserably again

353k (+1 144k)
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I don't think its the fact that 'nobody cared', but that all there was to say was that a baby had been born, not hours of waffle.
    ronant wrote: »
    I think people do care, but they didn't want to watch rolling coverage of nothing. They found out the news and got on with things. If you add up the peak across all channels it would be high, and Sky News and BBC News probably had an above average day.

But clearly, the coverage was too much.

Well I'll rephrase that then, nobody cared enough to watch the endless coverage. Clearly someone misjudged the level of interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky News peaked with 533k (2.4%) in the half hour from 8.30pm, while BBC News peaked with 527k (4.5%) in the half hour from 5pm.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky News peaked with 533k (2.4%) in the half hour from 8.30pm, while BBC News peaked with 527k (4.5%) in the half hour from 5pm.

even these figures are no great shakes. Still no great evidence of this upswell of interest outside the hard core despite the resorting to the " i feel" comments now, in light of the low actual figures.
This discussion has been closed.