Options

Why are Aussie soap actors so fame hungry?

TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In Neighbours and Home and away it's almost impossible to get an actor to stay in the show more than 3 years because they are determained to make it in Hollywood.
But look at the English soaps the majority of the cast young and old commit to the shows and have been their for years if not decades.

So why are Aussie actors so fame hungry, egotistic and use soaps as stepping stones just to make it big?

Comments

• Options
    superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    egotistic? i think it's pretty good that they are challenging themselves and aiming high!
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    egotistic? i think it's pretty good that they are challenging themselves and aiming high!

Melissa George. ;)
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    more ambitious surely, not just happy to settle for a job on a soap
  • Options
    Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actress, who plays Summer Bay's Indigo Walker, has decided to make the trip after being approached by a number of LA-based agents who want to represent her.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s15/home-and-away/news/a495905/home-and-away-star-samara-weaving-in-us-meetings.html#ixzz2ZujlOu00
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say they're egotistical for wanting to aim higher and have a good career. In fact, I'd say they're good traits for young people to have.
  • Options
    TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    los.kav wrote: »
    I wouldn't say they're egotistical for wanting to aim higher and have a good career. In fact, I'd say they're good traits for young people to have.

Maybe I was wrong to say egotistical but I don't like the way they use the show as a stepping stone. Home and away is a great show but actors only use it to boost their careers.
    Look at Mellisa George she is even ashamed to admit that she was once in the show.
  • Options
    InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    You wonder why half of them bother when better actors have gone before them and failed. I wouldn't call blink and you miss them appearances on a USTV show 'making it' but it seems that this is what they prefer over a full time job on a soap. Some fantastic actors have left both Aussie soaps, went off to America never to be heard of again. Then again some actors from the Aussie soaps have gone on to become world famous so perhaps they think the same will happen to them. This is why I try not to get too attached to new characters in my two favourite soaps because of the inevitable headline after a few years announcing their departure.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    InsideSoap wrote: »
    You wonder why half of them bother when better actors have gone before them and failed. I wouldn't call blink and you miss them appearances on a USTV show 'making it' but it seems that this is what they prefer over a full time job on a soap. Some fantastic actors have left both Aussie soaps, went off to America never to be heard of again. Then again some actors from the Aussie soaps have gone on to become world famous so perhaps they think the same will happen to them. This is why I try not to get too attached to new characters in my two favourite soaps because of the inevitable headline after a few years announcing their departure.

They might aswell call Neighbours and Home and away the Hollywood green rooms for succesors and failures. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    GoldeyfishGoldeyfish Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well apparently in oz soap stars aren't paid very well..and aside from the two main soaps they're aren't too many opportunities to find other acting work..and to be fair in the last few years some of the younger ones have been fairly successful in America..so who can blame them for wanting to give it a try
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all want to be successful in our professional lives as do actors. Ambition (along with other ingredients) is what drives success as it keeps us motivated. A lot of soap actors might be happy to stay on a soap for 10 years, but other soap actors have ambitions to do more than that and fair play to them - that's their choice. I use to work on the counter at HMV when I was 18, but left after a year to get a job as a IT technician. So yeah, I basically used HMV as a stepping stone to get a better job, but would anyone begrudge me for doing that?
  • Options
    GoldeyfishGoldeyfish Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    We all want to be successful in our professional lives as do actors. Ambition (along with other ingredients) is what drives success as it keeps us motivated. A lot of soap actors might be happy staying on a soap for 10 years, but other soap actors have ambitions to do more than that and fair play to them - that's their choice. I use work on the counter at HMV when I was 18, but left after a year to get a job as a IT technician. So yeah, I basically used HMV as a stepping stone to get a better job, but would anyone begrudge me for doing that?

Nope and fair play to you..

To be fair the oz soap stars have a better success rate in America then the British ones..
    And like I said in my previous post the pay in oz soaps isn't supposed to be particularly good..
    Whereas a long term stint in one the big 3 uk soaps can set somebody up for life
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goldeyfish wrote: »
    Nope and fair play to you..

To be fair the oz soap stars have a better success rate in America then the British ones..
    And like I said in my previous post the pay in oz soaps isn't supposed to be particularly good..
    Whereas a long term stint in one the big 3 uk soaps can set somebody up for life

Yep, you're right. Despite there being a greater number of British actors than Aussie actors in Hollywood right now, most of them have no soap background whatsoever. Which is the complete of the Aussie actors in Hollwyood, most of them have some sort of soap background. It seems working in soaps is a bit of a poison chalice for British soap actors :o - none of them (except for the likes of Robert Kazinsky and Anna Friel) can seem to break into Hollywood.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just that Aussie soaps don't pay terribly well but that Aussie TV opportunities are more limited. It's not arrtractive to most actors to stay on a soap but staying in Oz is not a great idea either so it's Hollywood or back to the building site for most of them. Given the fickleness of fame and that it's more about luck than talent there is no reason not to try.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because Kylie Minogue and a few other people made it, doesnt mean they will, what happens if they get killed off from the best paying job they ever had! Its a big risk and gamble!
    and these days, its all about luck!
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,283
    Forum Member
    TLC1098 wrote: »
    In Neighbours and Home and away it's almost impossible to get an actor to stay in the show more than 3 years because they are determained to make it in Hollywood.
    But look at the English soaps the majority of the cast young and old commit to the shows and have been their for years if not decades.

So why are Aussie actors so fame hungry, egotistic and use soaps as stepping stones just to make it big?

:confused: So people shouldn't aim big in their life?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,283
    Forum Member
    TLC1098 wrote: »
    Maybe I was wrong to say egotistical but I don't like the way they use the show as a stepping stone. Home and away is a great show but actors only use it to boost their careers.
    Look at Mellisa George she is even ashamed to admit that she was once in the show.

Don't lump everyone else in with Melissa George. She's completely in another category compared with the others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do they call cans of ale 'tinnies?'
  • Options
    kxkkxk Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Because they come in a tin.

Aussie soaps should really get education funding, all the kids that run through them for training - and there are a lot now.
    And this is true for both young and old - Jim from Neighbours, is villain of choice everywhere it seems.

Older cast members do stay more, glad to have a job.

Young ones, they have to try to get what they can while they can - for long term well paid careers in Australia do not exist, so the brave and pretty ones go for it.
    More ordinary talents do stick around - pains some of them. Georgie Parker, Kate H& A, Harold etc.

You have to understand how very small we are, how limited.
    You have much more opportunity, all around you - there is just us down here.

You also produce more dramas, more plays, probably more movies, your actors get more world exposure and more opportunities - plus better pay.
  • Options
    sarahcadhillsarahcadhill Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Home and Away shouldn't be a stepping stone for wannabee Hollywood actors.. Home and Away is a professional TV series and there are lots of very experienced older actors that they could hire. But they have too many young characters.
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't that different to 'The Bill' in that 'Neighbours' and 'Home and Away' are almost rites of passage for young actors to gain experience.

In Australia the actors in these programs aren't exactly thought of as 'stars'. Whether we like it or not, soaps in Australia are looked down on by many. They don't command the level of resepct soaps do in the UK. Also, 'Neighbours' is low rated and screens only on digital.

As others have said, the actors in these programs aren't so well paid as UK soap actors. Australian soaps are lower budgeted and costs are kept down. In a UK soap if a character's popular they appear all the time and earn the high rates of pay for all those appearances. Australian soap stars are rotated no matter what (only Georgie Parker and Ray Meagher on Home and Away ever appear in more than three episodes a week, I believe).

Also, soap acting is hard work. Lots of lines to learn and they tape at a fast rate. Plus you're sharing the spotlight with so many other actors!

I think it is understandable the actors want to move on. A few years is a long time when you're in your 20s!
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help wondering if they have a different attitude to emigrating as well. Lots of them will have had parents/grandparents who emigrated to Australia, so it won't seem like such a big deal to them, as it might be to a british actor for whom Hollywood is a long way from home - especially if they have the chance to stay on the soap long term or do other things in Britain.

Although both Alan Cumming and Anna Friel started in soaps and they haven't done too badly in Hollywood!
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,643
    Forum Member
    There isn't as much work available to Australian actors in their home market. Australians don't have a lot of home-grown drama compared to say, the UK, and the US.

You'll notice if you watch a lot of TV the same actors appear in a lot of programmes over the years because there is a relatively small pool of 'talent' in Australia. I think this explains why so many Australian actors now try their luck in the much bigger US market - US television is also much more widely shown across the world giving them much more exposure and off the back of this a lot of them end up forging pretty decent careers in both TV and film.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't that different to 'The Bill' in that 'Neighbours' and 'Home and Away' are almost rites of passage for young actors to gain experience.

In Australia the actors in these programs aren't exactly thought of as 'stars'. Whether we like it or not, soaps in Australia are looked down on by many. They don't command the level of resepct soaps do in the UK. Also, 'Neighbours' is low rated and screens only on digital.

As others have said, the actors in these programs aren't so well paid as UK soap actors. Australian soaps are lower budgeted and costs are kept down. In a UK soap if a character's popular they appear all the time and earn the high rates of pay for all those appearances. Australian soap stars are rotated no matter what (only Georgie Parker and Ray Meagher on Home and Away ever appear in more than three episodes a week, I believe).

Also, soap acting is hard work. Lots of lines to learn and they tape at a fast rate. Plus you're sharing the spotlight with so many other actors!

I think it is understandable the actors want to move on. A few years is a long time when you're in your 20s!

What are the actors of Rachel, Zeke, Ringo, Declan, Bridget, Summer, Tash and Andrew upto?

Panto? Really?
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bib: The Braxtons appear in every episode!
  • Options
    PheebShirlPheebShirl Posts: 1,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    What are the actors of Rachel, Zeke, Ringo, Declan, Bridget, Summer, Tash and Andrew upto?

Panto? Really?

The actress who played Rachel has recently landed a role in a US pilot ( the same show has the actress who played Lolly Allen in a lead role).

Australian soap stars do seem to have more success. Just off the top of my head I can think of a few that have had success.

Neighbours
    - Adelaide Kane (Lolly Allen) - new US pilot, The Purge
    - Dichen Lachman (Katya Kinski) - Dollhouse and other US shows
    - Brett Tucker (I think that is the actors name -Dan Fitzgerald) - Spartacus, in an episode of Castle
    - the actress who played Bree Timmins was in Hung
    - Nicky Wheelan (Pepper) - Scrubs, Hall Pass
    - the actor who was Frazer - No strings attached, other Us Shows
    - I recently saw Michelle Ang (Lori Lee) in Greys anatomy
    - Jack Scully is in an american show (Beauty and the beast?)
    - Dean Geyer - Glee, terrenova
    - Margot Robbie (Donna) - Pan Am, Wolf of wall street (new Scorsese film)

Not to mention Guy Pearce, Radha Mitchell, Alan Dale, even Holly Valance had some minor success

Home and Away
    - Ryan Kwanten -True Blood
    -Isobel Lucas - Transformers 2
    Isla Fisher - Wedding Crashers, Great Gatsby
    Melissa George (as others have mentioned)
    There maybe more but I have never watched this show to know