Options

The Carry On Films And Carry On Television Series Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carry On Sergeant is on television on Saturday 6.7.2013

Carry On Sergeant - the first Carry On film - is on Film 4 on Saturday 6.7.2013 from 3.10 pm to 4.50 pm.

Good to see a couple of Carry On films on this week, lets hope they keep up the good work :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Carry On Again Doctor. Great film, Charles Hawtrey playing quite a nasty character this time around and Patsy making her Carry On debut. Hattie plays a much kinder Matron than in the previous two hospital films.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I've seen 'em all in all my 50 years of watching TV! They never fail to make me laugh. I have most of them saved on my PVR.....the one I've not seen is Carry On Up The Jungle - with Frankie Howerd, another favourite of mine. I must watch out for it!
    My favourite ones are Carry On Spying and Screaming.
    The first one I ever saw (when I was about 6 years old) was Carry On Teacher....my dad told me I never stopped laughing!
    I think it was the electric doorknob, and them falling through the floor that did it! I don't fing it that funny now.....but still FUN!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen 'em all in all my 50 years of watching TV! They never fail to make me laugh. I have most of them saved on my PVR.....the one I've not seen is Carry On Up The Jungle - with Frankie Howerd, another favourite of mine. I must watch out for it!
    The first one I ever saw (when I was about 6 years old) was Carry On Teacher....my dad told me I never stopped laughing!
    I think it was the electric doorknob, and them falling through the floor that did it! I don't fing it that funny now.....but still FUN!

You're in luck Up The Jungle is on on Sunday on ITV3, hope you can get that channel. Yes they're all great, my personal favourite is Carry On Doctor but I love them all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Carry On Up The Jungle is on television on Sunday 14.7.2013

As mentioned by zooooooooooooo on 8.7.2013 (in the last posting to this thread), Carry On Up The Jungle - the nineteenth Carry On film - is on ITV 3 today (Sunday 14.7.2013) from 4.05 pm to 5.55 pm.

As mentioned by Face Of Jack in posting number 2429 to this thread, Frankie Howerd appears in Carry On Up The Jungle. It was the second and last Carry On film he was in.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Both excellent.

ITV 1 showed Carry On Screaming in HD for the first time a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carry On Up The Jungle is on television on Sunday 14.7.2013

As mentioned by zooooooooooooo on 8.7.2013 (in the last posting to this thread), Carry On Up The Jungle - the nineteenth Carry On film - is on ITV 3 today (Sunday 14.7.2013) from 4.05 pm to 5.55 pm.

As mentioned by Face Of Jack in posting number 2429 to this thread, Frankie Howerd appears in Carry On Up The Jungle. It was the second and last Carry On film he was in.

Yes good, something to cheer me up. You can never watch the Carry Ons enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all. This is my first post, and I was prompted to at last join DS by this superb thread. I'm a lifelong Carry On fan, and love the fact that there are so many films of excellent quality starring this fantastic entourage of actors.

My favourite actor is the great Charles Hawtrey (Ooh, hello!"), and my favourite films are:

1) Camping
    2) Cleo
    3) Screaming
    4) Follow That Camel
    5) Khyber

Probably in order, and also maybe omitting a few that could easily be in there.

Sadly, after Camping I feel that everything fell apart very quickly, with perhaps only Carry on Henry and Carry on Dick being of a similar standard. Cast members dropping out and poor replacements drifting in (e.g. Jack Douglas) did nothing for the series, but perhaps just as bad was the reactionary turn the series took. The overt and blatant union bashing in Convenience plus the over-the-top sexism of other seventies films flew in the face of the innocence of the classic 1960s releases.

But what a fantastic legacy the Carry Ons have left us. A million miles away from the excesses of today such as the lowest common denominator junk of Keith Lemon etc.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes good, something to cheer me up. You can never watch the Carry Ons enough.
    Much agreed! :D And welcome to the thread Mikey :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all. This is my first post, and I was prompted to at last join DS by this superb thread. I'm a lifelong Carry On fan, and love the fact that there are so many films of excellent quality starring this fantastic entourage of actors.

My favourite actor is the great Charles Hawtrey (Ooh, hello!"), and my favourite films are:

1) Camping
    2) Cleo
    3) Screaming
    4) Follow That Camel
    5) Khyber

Sadly, after Camping I feel that everything fell apart very quickly, with perhaps only Carry on Henry and Carry on Dick being of a similar standard. Cast members dropping out and poor replacements drifting in (e.g. Jack Douglas) did nothing for the series, but perhaps just as bad was the reactionary turn the series took. The overt and blatant union bashing in Convenience plus the over-the-top sexism of other seventies films flew in the face of the innocence of the classic 1960s releases.

But what a fantastic legacy the Carry Ons have left us. A million miles away from the excesses of today such as the lowest common denominator junk of Keith Lemon etc.

Hi :D. Yes the Carry On films were a brilliant series, everyone of them was good in my opinion. I'm even a fan of England and Columbus.

Charles Hawtrey was one of my favourites as well, the films certainly lost a lot after his departure:cry:

My Top 5

1 Carry On Doctor
    2 Carry On Spying
    3 Carry On Screaming
    4 Carry On Don't Lose Your Head
    5 Carry On Camping
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Much agreed! :D And welcome to the thread Mikey :)

An absolutely perfect series of films :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the welcome guys. I love this thread (and forum generally) and am still only a few pages into it. I can see it being one to return to for quite some time.

I also love the hospital based ones.

Just seen the box sets on Amazon starting at about £50. Great value.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to Pinewood studios last weekend. I walked along a corridor and thought "this feels like a Carry On hospital corridor" ... and then there was a huge framed photo of Sid and Ken and Hattie standing in the very spot I was standing. My heart skipped a beat.

Also, I went through the school doorway seen at the beginning of Camping; past the taxi offices from Cabby; and past the door to Joan's room from the beginning of Again Doctor.

A truly thrilling experience. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Pinewood studios last weekend. I walked along a corridor and thought "this feels like a Carry On hospital corridor" ... and then there was a huge framed photo of Sid and Ken and Hattie standing in the very spot I was standing. My heart skipped a beat.

Also, I went through the school doorway seen at the beginning of Camping; past the taxi offices from Cabby; and past the door to Joan's room from the beginning of Again Doctor.

Ha sounds great:D, I would love to go there.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing I like to stumble across more, while flicking through the channels on a Sunday afternoon, than a Carry On film.

I like all the hospital based ones best, especially 'Carry On Doctor' with Frankie Howard as Mr Bigger.

Favourites of the non-hospital ones are;
    Screaming
    Khyber
    Camping
  • Options
    Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thrilling ? really, darling you have led a sheltered existence. ;)

The producer's stinginess and hatred of location shooting knew no bounds. Using the studio's corridor as a.....hospital corridor...sheer genius, eat your heart out Speiberg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrilling ? really, darling you have led a sheltered existence. ;)

The producer's stinginess and hatred of location shooting knew no bounds. Using the studio's corridor as a.....hospital corridor...sheer genius, eat your heart out Speiberg.

:yawn::sleep::sleep::sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing I like to stumble across more, while flicking through the channels on a Sunday afternoon, than a Carry On film.

I like all the hospital based ones best, especially 'Carry On Doctor' with Frankie Howard as Mr Bigger.

Screaming
    Khyber
    Camping

Doctor is my absolute favourite Carry On film, every scene is perfect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Screaming
    Khyber
    Camping

BIB - That really should have been in my list of favourites. Wonderful film. Frankie Howerd is perfect in it.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picked up Carry On Screaming, new wrapped DVD for 30p at a car boot today.

Fryyyyyyyyyyyying Toniiiiiiiiiight !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Up The Jungle is on ITV on Saturday 20.7.2013

Carry On Up The Jungle - the nineteenth Carry On film - is on ITV 3 now (Saturday 20.7.2013) until 9.35 am (ITV 3 +1 until 10.35 am).

• Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Nurse is on television on Sunday 21.7.2013

Carry On Nurse - the second Carry On Film - is on Film 4 today (Sunday 21.7.2013) from 3.05 pm to 4.45 pm.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member

1) Camping
    2) Cleo
    3) Screaming
    4) Follow That Camel
    5) Khyber

Hi :D. Yes the Carry On films were a brilliant series, everyone of them was good in my opinion. I'm even a fan of England and Columbus.

Charles Hawtrey was one of my favourites as well, the films certainly lost a lot after his departure:cry:

My Top 5

1 Carry On Doctor
    2 Carry On Spying
    3 Carry On Screaming
    4 Carry On Don't Lose Your Head
    5 Carry On Camping

Another Charles Hawtrey fan here, he's always been my favourite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Up The Khyber is on television on Thursday 25.7.2013

Carry On Up The Khyber - the sixteenth Carry On film and a favourite of many Carry On fans - is on Channel 4/Channel Four HD today (Thursday 25.7.2013) from 1.25 pm to 3.10 pm (from 2.25 pm today on Channel Four +1).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Charles Hawtrey fan here, he's always been my favourite.

Love him, a Carry On film without him wasn't quite the same.