Options

BT Sport Is Virgin Media Getting It?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am more worried about not being able to watch UFC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Virgins EPG isn't exactly famous for being reliable, my sky box is showing programmes no longer available from 1st onwards on ESPN America HD and ESPN classic
  • Options
    renno69renno69 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    when it launches is it only available on sky?? I know you can stream it, but to actually view it normally, if not then surely theres a monoploy issue and Ofcom needs to get involved,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I am more worried about not being able to watch UFC.

I will be streaming it if we dont get it. ;)
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    renno69 wrote: »
    when it launches is it only available on sky?? I know you can stream it, but to actually view it normally, if not then surely theres a monoploy issue and Ofcom needs to get involved,

It's also on BT Vision, do you really think that BT wouldn't show their own sports channel on their own TV service :confused:
  • Options
    ArrGeeArrGee Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jul/25/bt-signs-up-500000-premier-league-customers

Patterson warned that Virgin Media's cable customers may "never" have access to BT's sports content. Virgin carries the Sky sports channels and was able to offer its customers all the Premier League games by carrying ESPN, which shared rights to the matches with Sky before BT won them. Asked whether Virgin would eventually carry the BT Sport channels, Patterson said: "We are in discussions but it depends how those discussions go. It might never. They may need to consider their choices. It's another reason why customers might chose to switch over from Virgin to BT."
  • Options
    womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's all a play with words
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I've always said that platform holders should be banned from running TV stations. The way the public are treated in the UK is beyond contempt. We are all little pawns in a game between giant telecommunications companies.
  • Options
    womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to agree. I would have assumed that the more potential customers of a channel, whenever it be subscription or FTA, the better for everyone, but the way these companies hold eachover over a barrel with prices ........
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wombler wrote: »
    I tend to agree. I would have assumed that the more potential customers of a channel, whenever it be subscription or FTA, the better for everyone, but the way these companies hold eachover over a barrel with prices ........

That is the thing, you are looking it as a channel, and BT wanting customers for the channel, truth is they don't. Unless it is more of a last resort. All BT want are broadband customers, the channel is being used to lure people to BT Broadband, that has been their intention since obtaining the rights.
  • Options
    Gunslinger1948Gunslinger1948 Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Looking at those figures, BT are not signing up lots of new customers, just giving the new channels to existing BB customers, with or without Sky. A very expensive way to stop the drift of their BB customers to Sky.

Given what BT have paid for the rights it is hard to see how that stacks up for them financially.

I would not have thought that a significant number of Virgin customers are likely to switch directly to BT, because (a) they already have a perfectly adequate fast BB service which is not easy to switch without re-cabling by BT, and (b) because VM customers already have access to the full range of Sky Sports channels, which BT do not offer.

On that basis, it probably makes financial sense for BT to wholesale the channels to VM, perhaps after a suitable delay for marketing purposes. Note it hasn't been ruled out, just a deal has (apparently) not been done yet.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was changing bb anyway but the bt sport app and hot spots undoubtedly swayed me to go to bt for my bb
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at those figures, BT are not signing up lots of new customers, just giving the new channels to existing BB customers, with or without Sky. A very expensive way to stop the drift of their BB customers to Sky.

Given what BT have paid for the rights it is hard to see how that stacks up for them financially.

I would not have thought that a significant number of Virgin customers are likely to switch directly to BT, because (a) they already have a perfectly adequate fast BB service which is not easy to switch without re-cabling by BT, and (b) because VM customers already have access to the full range of Sky Sports channels, which BT do not offer.

On that basis, it probably makes financial sense for BT to wholesale the channels to VM, perhaps after a suitable delay for marketing purposes. Note it hasn't been ruled out, just a deal has (apparently) not been done yet.

You see that is the thing at the moment, which is the short sighted view. I could be wrong but it looks like BT also want to become a major player in the paid TV market, the first step was get a channel, and something to bargain with. VM no longer have that option having sold their channels. The other factor and perhaps the most significant is Fibre BB, this is being rolled out across the entire BT Network.

The short term view might actually be to wholesale the channel out, and once the network is upgraded, just withdraw the wholesale option.
  • Options
    pepstarpepstar Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looked over at the Smallworld cable forum, and the MD has posted this quite frank response...

"We've tried to get it, but its no go at the moment I'm afraid. They seem pretty keen on an exclusive launch...it may change after a while but I have a feeling it will be like Sky Atlantic and BT can't get the fee they want for it after the initial hype, and so keep it exclusive.

We have taken £5 pm of the price of our Sky Sports Pack, and reduced it to £16 pm (Sky price is £22 pm from September) by way of a response..."

We ain't getting it!... can we close this post now :D

P.s i'm impress on how low smallworld's Sky sports package is!
  • Options
    locheelochee Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    BT can go take a flying one there is nothing that I can see on there inferior service that might persude me to switch.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of dodgy wording in that Guardian article,
    Since making its debut in pay TV 2007 years ago, BT has acquired just 833,000 paying TV customers.

They've been in the game a long time...
  • Options
    Wayne_HorwoodWayne_Horwood Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    this just appeared on vm make of it what it is

I've heard an announcement is scheduled for early next week and it will be good news.

The person who told me works in BT but knows a few people higher up and although he doesn't know for certain. He thinks its going to be included in the sports package. That could mean they put the sports package up a few quid to cover the costs etc.

Really really hope it's true
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member

BT was losing a lot of broadband customers to Sky who have been growing at a rapid rate. This channel is to stem the flow of those lost customers and to keep them loyal.
  • Options
    Daryl_SlinnDaryl_Slinn Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Half a million households signing up for BT Sport before the service has launched sounds impressive until you see that the bulk of the punters aren't new arrivals -- they are existing BT broadband customers who have agreed to extend their broadband contracts by 12 months.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/nils-pratley-on-finance/2013/jul/25/bt-sport-sky-sign-up-customers

This is probably more like it, not new customers but the ones signing up to the new channels on the Sky/Astra platform will be.
    I hope they go the way of ITV Sport personally.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    Half a million households signing up for BT Sport before the service has launched sounds impressive until you see that the bulk of the punters aren't new arrivals -- they are existing BT broadband customers who have agreed to extend their broadband contracts by 12 months.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/nils-pratley-on-finance/2013/jul/25/bt-sport-sky-sign-up-customers

This is probably more like it, not new customers but the ones signing up to the new channels on the Sky/Astra platform will be.
    I hope they go the way of ITV Sport personally.
    WHY!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Ian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Well they're hardly going to say, "Yeah, it'll probably come to Virgin, so you won't need to switch to BT."
  • Options
    Holte139Holte139 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I'm sitting tight for an announcement this week, I hope it's not in vain though!
  • Options
    Hendo9Hendo9 Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets be honest, BT will want AS MANY people to switch as possible, ready for launch/start of the Premier League season.

I can fully expect no news on BT for Virgin customers, for another week or two still... they'll get the worried folk who 100% want/need the football to switch over to BT... then they'll announce a deal struck with Virgin a week before the season starts, so everyone has access..
  • Options
    TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless of whether VM get full access to it or not it should still be an option to get if you are on the BT for broadband and phone via the VM network as this makes sense for BT. Obviously this is a bit of raw deal for VM as they will look a bit silly saying "yes you can have it via our TV, but you need to go to BT for phone and broadband" but at least the option will be there for VM TV viewers, and VM will retain some of the customers (all be it for TV only).
  • Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hendo9 wrote: »
    Lets be honest, BT will want AS MANY people to switch as possible, ready for launch/start of the Premier League season.

I can fully expect no news on BT for Virgin customers, for another week or two still... they'll get the worried folk who 100% want/need the football to switch over to BT... then they'll announce a deal struck with Virgin a week before the season starts, so everyone has access..

Apparently 23,000 have switched to BT phone/broadband most from SKY Broadband to BT and even that is a drop in the ocean given how much money they paid for the footy