Options

Woman spends six days in hospital after attack in bedroom by stray cat

Comments

• Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Library assistant Helena Silver, 48, was bitten repeatedly by a ginger tom,in her bedroom in the middle of the night.

Doctors warned her she was at risk of septicaemia, which could be fatal

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2381226/Librarian-spends-days-hospital-attacked-bedroom-neighbours-cat.html

Something really does need to be done about cats, owners need to take more responsibility for them.

No other pet creature is allowed to run amok on an estate, defecating all over other peoples property.

The RSPCA state house cats are fine and suffer not for it, they just actually need looking after which takes effort. Still, I guess, letting them urinate and sh@t all over the neighbour's property is easier than emptying a litter tray.

Just last week in the news - woman and her dog are attacked by gang of six feral cats, women and dog need hospital treatment.
    the attack may be related to the high summer temperatures perhaps making the cats more aggressive than usual

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/tourists-warned-after-french-woman-and-her-dog-are-attacked-by-gang-of-six-feral-cats-8733229.html
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    Nice... I can't stand cats (generally), they only seem to leave a trail of crap in my eyes. But I would never kill one.

Feral cats are a pest and are vermin.
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peroquil wrote: »

So are feral children but I think there'd be trouble if people started shooting them;)
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Library assistant Helena Silver, 48, was bitten repeatedly by a ginger tom,in her bedroom in the middle of the night.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2381226/Librarian-spends-days-hospital-attacked-bedroom-neighbours-cat.html

Something really does need to be done about cats, owners need to take more responsibility for them.

No other pet creature is allowed to run amok on an estate, defecating all over other peoples property.

The RSPCA state house cats are fine and suffer not for it, they just actually need looking after which takes effort. Still, I guess, letting them urinate and sh@t all over the neighbour's property is easier than emptying a litter tray.

There needs to be a large culling of cats in this country before we lose much more precious birdlife.

If people refuse to take care of their cats and they wander into private land causing damage then they should be disposed of. Sporting estates already do this and hundreds are caught but more has to be done imo.

As for them crapping everywhere, i'm sick of it. I'm sick of mowing through it. I'm sick of standing on it. I'm sick of hearing about people being unable to let young kids play in their OWN gardens because there is cat shit everywhere.

Cats need to be kept indoors, end of story. I have no sympathy for anyone moaning about their "poor pussy" who didn't come home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggle2000 wrote: »
    So are feral children but I think there'd be trouble if people started shooting them;)

I can't find any flaw in that argument at all. Cats life == child's life.
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find any flaw in that argument at all. Cats life == child's life.

This is DS, where cats are children.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,346
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »
    Ergo an irresponsible owner who just kicked it out? Possibly it ran away, so no tag.

Cats are evil though, we constantly get gifts of varying grossness from the neighbours cats.

Uh-huh. Yep. They do it to hurt you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is DS, where cats are children.

...where if we had to save a cat or a baby we would save the cat, anytime.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There needs to be a large culling of cats in this country before we lose much more precious birdlife...

From the RSPB
    "Despite the large numbers of birds killed, there is no scientific evidence that predation by cats in gardens is having any impact on bird populations UK-wide. "

Its changes in farm practices that are the main cause in bird population decline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    From the RSPB
    "Despite the large numbers of birds killed, there is no scientific evidence that predation by cats in gardens is having any impact on bird populations UK-wide. "

Its changes in farm practices that are the main cause in bird population decline.

Cats kill more than one billion birds each year (US)

If that is the rspb's official line, they are unfit for purpose.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There needs to be a large culling of cats in this country before we lose much more precious birdlife.

If people refuse to take care of their cats and they wander into private land causing damage then they should be disposed of. Sporting estates already do this and hundreds are caught but more has to be done imo.

As for them crapping everywhere, i'm sick of it. I'm sick of mowing through it. I'm sick of standing on it. I'm sick of hearing about people being unable to let young kids play in their OWN gardens because there is cat shit everywhere.

Cats need to be kept indoors, end of story. I have no sympathy for anyone moaning about their "poor pussy" who didn't come home.

If we want to protect birds, we can start by not concreting over every patch of land we can find. Most of my neighbours have concreted over their front gardens to make way for second or third cars and birds need the worms and insects that grass and plants attract.

Birds of prey take as many small birds as cats do, maybe more.

The French eat them.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

Two different reports, each supporting an individual's personal bias. Who'd thunk it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    If we want to protect birds, we can start by not concreting over every patch of land we can find. Most of my neighbours have concreted over their front gardens to make way for second or third cars.

Birds of prey take as many small birds as cats do, maybe more.

The French eat them.

Birds of prey are part of the natural balance of nature in this country. I suspect you know this.

Concrete does not harm birds. They can fly elsewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The game if predator and prey has moved into our gardens, stop being a cry baby, especially as it seems to be God's will. ;)
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Where's it come from then seeing as cats are domestic animals?

Not all cats are. There's loads of feral ones live in the fields around here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birds of prey are part of the natural balance of nature in this country. I suspect you know this.

We're reducing their natural food sources - grass ( for worms ) and plants ( for insects ) and it's just typical of humans to put the responsibility of dwindling bird numbers onto other animals only. Millions of gardeners spray the catapillers and aphids on their plants every year, forgetting that these insects feed young birds.

Hedgehogs are also in decline and we ARE responsible for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The article you quote seems to blame most of those deaths to the very large feral cat population in America. I don't think we have anywhere near the numbers of feral cats here in the UK as they do in the US.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

Er, no. Reducing livable habitat for wildlife clearly has an effect on the population that can be supported.
  • Options
    cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Erm...many animals tend to run amok, going to the toilet on other peoples properties, not just cats. Also it was a stray cat, so it doesn't have owners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We've taken in a couple of feral cats and once they're not scared anymore they're lovely pets. Shooting them is a nasty thing to do. Some people make me sick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not actually easy keeping a cat indoors if they really want to go out, they can get distressed and incredibly bored. Some cats need to go outside and enjoy themselves, instead of being shut away, especially when it's this hot outside.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What is with all the cat attacks threads recently?? Have they waged war on us or something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    What is with all the cat attacks threads recently?? Have they waged war on us or something?

Cats are the new foxes, which were the new "devil dogs". I expect badgers will be next - that or dormice.
  • Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Cats are the new foxes, which were the new "devil dogs". I expect badgers will be next - that or dormice.

Badgers have always been the mafia of the wildlife. But they tend to leave us alone....so long as we pay up on time.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.

I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul. :)