Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Dross beaten by dross.

Cliff's Xmas number ones are all terrible records. Amongst the worst he's ever done.

Did did far worse

The worst being the SAW produced 'I Just Don't Have the Heart', and the worst Christmas record he was involved with was the SAW produced Band Aid 2...
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »
    Did did far worse

The worst being the SAW produced 'I Just Don't Have the Heart', and the worst Christmas record he was involved with was the SAW produced Band Aid 2...

Cliff's 'Little Town ' was good but didn't reach the top..
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Did did far worse

I agree, that was awful, but I'd put Cliff's 'Millenium Prayer' up with it for sheer awfulness.
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, that was awful, but I'd put Cliff's 'Millenium Prayer' up with it for sheer awfulness.

Have to agree. but was it really a Christmas record?

If still in 1999 he could grab a number one with a record of dubious quality, yet of late has been unable to chart, is it the case that his fan base have died off or is it he doesn't get the airplay, or his recent output has been poor?

I seem to recall Tony Blackburn being suspended from Classic Gold for insisting on playing Cliff when the station had put a ban on playing his records. Noel Edmonds then director of UBC who owned Classic Gold got Tony his job back and Cliff was also restored to the stations playlist.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard of most of those American songs listed in above posts, need to check them out.
    One 70's song that I really liked was Jackie Blue, it was by The Ozark Mountain Daredevils, does anyone know if it charted over here?
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Regarding recent posts on here:-

1) I never realised Hall & Oats were so big in America.

2) I too am a Siouxie & The Banshees fan - although Siouxie herself is quite scary! ;)

Looking forward to hearing Supernature tonight! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like Hall & Oates songs a lot, but Big Train is the first thing I think of now whenever I read their names.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    I haven't heard of most of those American songs listed in above posts, need to check them out.
    One 70's song that I really liked was Jackie Blue, it was by The Ozark Mountain Daredevils, does anyone know if it charted over here?

It didn't - but it did get a lot of airplay when it was released ...

Rather like Orleans' 'Dance With Me'.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Cliff's 'Little Town ' was good but didn't reach the top..

Agreed, it used the traditional words with a new tune and it was pretty good, it was released in 1982. It never seems to get played by the music channels at Christmas though.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meanwhile, at the BBC ...
    Following Richard Klein’s departure, I asked Janice Hadlow to take on the editorial leadership of BBC Four alongside her role on BBC Two. The aim of this experiment was to increase collaboration between the two Channels across their programmes, scheduling, marketing and digital innovation.

I think we have made significant progress in these areas and so I am going to make this structure permanent, with Janice now becoming the Channel Controller for BBC Two and BBC Four.

At the same time, I want to ensure that BBC Four continues to grow its distinctive tone, character and output so I am going to create a new post of BBC Four Channel Editor.

This Channel Editor will report to Janice Hadlow and will be responsible for the day-to-day running of BBC Four. He/she will work to ensure that the Channel remains as distinctive, unique and valued by audiences as it has come to be in recent years.

We will be advertising this role both internally and externally tomorrow (Thursday 1st August) and plan to make an appointment in September.

Thanks very much and best wishes

Danny

Danny Cohen
    Director of BBC Television

Can't provide a link for this - but it's for real! ;)

Not sure what this means for the TOTP repeats - but at least we know now who'll be making the decisions ...
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evening all
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all... here we go..
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good evening everybody! I'm going to sit back and enjoy tonight's edition, then muse about it afterwards. :)
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tidybeard time :)
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    I like Hall & Oates songs a lot, but Big Train is the first thing I think of now whenever I read their names.

Was thinking exactly the same.

"Hey, don't push Oates over."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening pop-pickers.
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hoe do you like to meet a brown lady - careful noel ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dunno Noel. Do I want to meet a brown lady?

Oddest opening line ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh - Stranglers doing Bacharach..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A not great version of a great song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Must admit, I never knew The Stranglers did a version of Walk On By. Quite like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh shut up Tidybeard. Trying to sound clever.

I still love this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh. Pearson's lot wrecking Jeff Wayne..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lovely lovely hair.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brown Girl In The Ring - going back up the charts with Rivers Of Babylon as the AA side. I preferred 'Brown In The Girl In The Ring' so not too bad

Walk On By - Stranglers - absolutely awful. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. What were they thinking by releasing this?

Forever Autumn - Justin Heyward - good vocals but the music sounds awful. Johnny Pearson seems to have had his mits on this.
This discussion has been closed.