Options

Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That was only a bottle of babysham. Tidybeard really is that tiny.
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm out this evening so I'll have to catch up with this one later. Sounds like a good one though!
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anthem (One Day In Every Week) - New Seekers

I love this song! It's almost a capella until the drums and bass kick in for the last minute.
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lyrics to this song don't make any sense
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    One day in every week...Sundaayyyy

...to have a break from being the town ****.

That's basically what they're saying, right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I adore this song. Best thing Rich Tea ever did.
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what the hell was tidybeard going on about - Afghanistan and flower arranging ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three Times A Lady - Commodores

I used to have this single back in the day! It's as soppy as it comes but I love this song.
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    What's with all the special effects this week? I keep thinking my TV is on the blink! :mad:
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    ..And - Why did they cut out The Who when they've already shown The New Seekers AND Child!! :mad:
  • Options
    up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think Noel would be joking about Afganistan now somehow...how times change:o
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh - Mighty Real coming in..
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets just say sylvester never made it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Sylvester! Brilliant!

5-7-0-5 - City Boy - someone is still trying to call them! Decent song.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do love a bit of Darts. Strangely, I think they sound more mid-80s rather than late 70s.

Yes. In the 80s, you had Shakin Stevens, Rocky Sharpe and the Replays, The Jets, The Stray Cats, Matchbox, plus Alvin Stardust had a comeback with a couple of 50s-style songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. In the 80s, you had Shakin Stevens, Rocky Sharpe and the Replays, The Jets, Matchbox, plus Alvin Stardust had a comeback with a couple of 50s-style songs.

Was actually thinking the sax solo on the track sounded a bit like Spandau Ballet!...shall I get me coat?
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Just that year's Christmas show left for Noel now.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just that year's Christmas show left for Noel now.:(

Top Gear's still not the same without him.Just give him a new car and send him out with a film crew.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to catching up with this show when I get home from work. I was getting a bit confused at first, seeing some of the songs featured, but then I remember were a few weeks ahead now. I'm curious to see if 10cc's Dreadlock holiday is the same performance as on the Big Hits and 21st September show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    ..And - Why did they cut out The Who when they've already shown The New Seekers AND Child!! :mad:

It could be expensive, whereas The New seekers and Child will probably pay the Beeb to show their videos.
  • Options
    eurofandaveeurofandave Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this evening's show.I still love 10cc's Dreadlock Holiday.Excellent song!! Other gems for me tonight where 'Forever Autumn','It's Raining' and 'Supernature'.I thoroughly enjoyed Legs and Co. doing their routine to 'Supernature' ;)

As for 'It's Only Make Believe'......well nothing beats the Glen Campbell version for me :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    what the hell was tidybeard going on about - Afghanistan and flower arranging ?

I imagine it was the first 'out of the way place where no-one goes' he could think of. Pre-Soviet invasion and certainly pre-Bush/Blair, I guess it must have been like 'Southern Yemen' in Father Ted, a comedic code for obscurity.
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    OMG OMG. A mini interview with the legend that was Sylvester, who looked pretty miffed that he had not been able to do his classic song on the show. But this was a little gem, which is one of the prime reasons for watching this excellent repeat series.

Sylvester was the first American openly gay pop star. coming from the Castro gay district in San Francisco to score a series of huge and memorable disco/dance classics, of which Mighty Real is probably the greatest.

In 1988 when I visited San Francisco the papers were full of their now-forgotten star as having contracted AIDS from which he died shortly afterwards. Ten years is a long time. But Sylvester was a real hero is San Francisco.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Dreadlock Holiday - 10cc

Their biggest selling single, it outsold 'I'm Not In Love' and I love this song!

Yes, but the lyrics were controversial, and the song bombed in the States because of lack of airplay. This sort of clever rock was already on the way out. A pity though because Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman had been having hits for about fifteen years by then and they are both great sixties/seventies pop stars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some initial responses to tonight.

Walk on By: absolute classic. A total reinterpretation of a great song. Full of energy and a million miles away from Dionne Warwick.

Child: this is a competent version of the song. Not as much animation on the singer's part today, but this is not a disaster, though it is the worst version of the song to be a hit.

New Seekers: they are no Bucks Fizz, but this is a great record. Again, their last hit.

Boney M: their best number. Love it.

Commodores: first-rate late Motown. A classic.

Darts: ah yes another of my favourite songs of the year. Their fourth number two hit as I recall and one of my favourites. After this Den Hegarty left and they are not supposed to have been as good again, but still had several more hits. I think they run rings round Showaddywaddy.

Not a dud tonight. A great edition; but then my tastes have become eclectic. Had I seen the show in 1978 (I was still working evenings), I would have loved the Darts and the Stranglers and that's it. So I guess this old punker has mellowed out.
This discussion has been closed.