Options

4 year old boy looked like concentration camp victim

Comments

• Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Packing your kids off to boarding school so that someone else can have the pleasure of raising them isn't what I would call caring behaviour, but it is so very upper and middle class. When I was a trainee social worker, way back when we were often told that sexual abuse within families was statistically more prevalent among "professional" families than among "working class" families.
    But I am equally sure that these are both unsubstantiated assertions, just like the ones that led me to post.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    There was indeed a school nurse who visited the mother at home, plus an educational welfare officer also made a home visit. The doctor was contacted and he put him on nutrition pills. No one seemed to follow through tho. The GP must have examined the child, surely he would insist on a follow up visit. So many people involved, so lttle done. It is staggering that this could happen.

It's unbelievable to be honest.
  • Options
    DoobyDuckDoobyDuck Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    Packing your kids off to boarding school so that someone else can have the pleasure of raising them isn't what I would call caring behaviour, but it is so very upper and middle class. When I was a trainee social worker, way back when we were often told that sexual abuse within families was statistically more prevalent among "professional" families than among "working class" families.
    But I am equally sure that these are both unsubstantiated assertions, just like the ones that led me to post.

who mentioned the " working class"
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoobyDuck wrote: »

The social work trainer I quoted.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you perhaps referring to families with drug alcohol and crime histories etc. I agree there is a sub culture in this country with families who present huge problems to schools and social services. But surprisingly few given the whole population. Most working class families are excellent parents and citizens as are most other classes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you perhaps referring to families with drug alcohol and crime histories etc. I agree there is a sub culture in this country with families who present huge problems to schools and social services. But surprisingly few given the whole population. Most working class families are excellent parents and citizens as are most other classes.

Yes, im talking about the underclass and NOT the working class.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »

Maybe that's the problem with some people working in the field that they have preconceived ideas, I would agree with your second part that the assertions are incorrect, child abuse has no boundaries when it comes to class , type of person etc
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Yes, im talking about the underclass and NOT the working class.

I don't think there's much "working" going on amongst the class Doobyduck's talking about
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Maybe that's the problem with some people working in the field that they have preconceived ideas, I would agree with your second part that the assertions are incorrect, child abuse has no boundaries when it comes to class , type of person etc

We don't often hear about similar cases of extreme child abuse/neglect/murder outside of the 'underclass' though, do we?
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you take a child to school and instruct that he eats nothing during the day due to "eating disorder", then said child is painfully thin and rummaging for food, surely common sense must prevail??? :(

They did not say that. They said he wasn't to have anything extra to the packed lunch they sent with him because any additional food could interact with his medication.

So, he was sent to school with food. It was inadequate, but teachers were told it was in keeping with the treatment of his genetic condition.

And teachers DID report their concerns to safeguarding and to his GP.

So it would be nice if people stuck to criticising them for what actually happened (if the criticism is reasonable).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    They did not say that. They said he wasn't to have anything extra to the packed lunch they sent with him because any additional food could interact with his medication.

So, he was sent to school with food. It was inadequate, but teachers were told it was in keeping with the treatment of his genetic condition.

So it would be nice if people stuck to criticising them for what actually happened (if the criticism is reasonable).

There is plenty of that!
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is plenty of that!

Yes, so there is no need to start embellishing things with inaccuracies or exaggerations. The story is quite bad enough as it is.
  • Options
    LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    A lot of women, in particular the underclass/chavs etc, put their boyf above the kids, this happens quite a lot sadly.

I work with the underclass and they don't view their kids the same way as non underclass people do.

The main concerns is their love life.

A lot of these women claim they are being domestically abused, but mostly it is not true.

well if thats your view of the 'underclass' you really shouldn't be working with them
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,700
    Forum Member
    Horrible story :( That poor kid - where is his real father?
    Good to hear those 2 evil people have been locked up, they should have been sent to a Polish prison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well if thats your view of the 'underclass' you really shouldn't be working with them

They should never ever have to be accountable for their life style choices. if they want Dwayne, their boyf of 2 weeks to move in, despite the fact that he has a history of DV and drug use, they should never ever be questioned on their lifestyle choices. it is their right to sh@g Dwayne and another man they view as " fit", if they want to spend all their benefits money on **** and booze, instead of food for their children, they should never ever be criticized for it.

it is their money ( from the state) and it is up to them what they do with it. It is their child. so if they want to treat is badly then it is up to them, pesky social workers should never ever judge.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    We don't often hear about similar cases of extreme child abuse/neglect/murder outside of the 'underclass' though, do we?

That simply comes down to money

Tetra Pak heiress Eva Rausing lay dead in her home from a drugs OD for 8 weeks before she was discovered. She had four children and yet there is no mention of where they are, who is responsible for them etc

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/family-of-tragic-tetra-pak-heiress-to-boycott-inquest-8395984.html

If she had been a member of the 'underclass' rather than the 'upperclass' ( both horrible, offensive terms) - the story would have been completely different. Almost every report describes her as 'tragic'. If she had been poor and living in a council house I doubt the media would have been so generous.

People with money are just better able to hide their failings and avoid culpability.

The case of this poor little boy is extreme, but to suggest abuse only occurs in the 'underclass' is naïve.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    I'm happy with that sentence. I just wish Baby P's killers had gotten the same.

Me too, It still baffles me to this day that they didn't have enough evidence to charge the mother and boyfriend with murder. The boyfriend snapped Peter's spine ffs :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good post mazzy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you were the school would you not have asked for details of his condition for your files , that would be normal to my mind , to have any medical conditions fully explained, maybe if that had been done the mothers story would have fallen at the first hurdle. In this day and age I would have thought it would be normal to ask what the condition was in case the child needed urgent medical assistance whilst in their care rather than just comply.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-23224826

Teaching assistant Amy Tokely broke down in tears in court, when she said he wanted to eat "muddy and dirty" pancakes which had been on the floor.

Daniel's mother claimed he was being treated for a rare eating disorder and school staff were not to feed him. They complied with her instructions
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me-Cheetah wrote: »

Tetra Pak heiress Eva Rausing lay dead in her home from a drugs OD for 8 weeks before she was discovered. She had four children and yet there is no mention of where they are, who is responsible for them etc

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/family-of-tragic-tetra-pak-heiress-to-boycott-inquest-8395984.html

If she had been a member of the 'underclass' rather than the 'upperclass' ( both horrible, offensive terms) - the story would have been completely different. Almost every report describes her as 'tragic'. If she had been poor and living in a council house I doubt the media would have been so generous.

People with money are just better able to hide their failings and avoid culpability.

The case of this poor little boy is extreme, but to suggest abuse only occurs in the 'underclass' is naïve.

Exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should never ever have to be accountable for their life style choices. if they want Dwayne, their boyf of 2 weeks to move in, despite the fact that he has a history of DV and drug use, they should never ever be questioned on their lifestyle choices. it is their right to sh@g Dwayne and another man they view as " fit", if they want to spend all their benefits money on **** and booze, instead of food for their children, they should never ever be criticized for it.

it is their money ( from the state) and it is up to them what they do with it. It is their child. so if they want to treat is badly then it is up to them, pesky social workers should never ever judge.

:rolleyes:

I thought their role was to help not judge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should not be about class or who is more or less deserving of our sympathy based on money and life choices, some of which are indeed appaling and not always circumstances of choice. This is about 2 evil people who systematically tortured and murdered a child. Evil people inhabit all walks of life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »

I would have thought that at times its both, they assist but also have to make urgent on the spot judgements at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Me-Cheetah wrote: »

Her children did not live with her, ergo were not at risk as she made arrangements.

Risk is the key word here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »

but in a lot of cases, the " mother" does not want the help of the social worker as a lot of underclass woman do fail to realise that their children welfare should come first.

So the social worker has to make a judgment on what to do.

The child's care is paramount and if " mothers" would take this on board there would be no need for social services intervention.

I don't know why " mothers" from an underclass background cannot simply put their kid first.