Options

I came back to BB after not watching for years - now I'm gone for good

Jessica_HambyJessica_Hamby Posts: 1,622
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Secrets and Lies? Favourites and Rows is more what it seems to me.

I enjoyed it at first but as the series has progressed I've found myself at first irritated, then upset and finally disgusted by the sexism, the favouritism, the manipulation and the bias. The presenters and the returning psychologists on BOTS have at times left me feeling sick, Judy James' description of Hazel as a woman who would hump a chair leg and Emma Willis grinning like a moron as Hazel was described as being like a **** are two particulat lowlights but there are plenty of others. I stopped watching BOTS first and it wasn't any sacrifice. I thought I'd miss it but twice I just switched off half way through and after that I didn't bother any more.

As for the main show, the recent tasks have all been designed with the intention of causing conflict. I simply don't find watching a bunch of people in a small physical space being manipulated into childish arguments entertaining. I stopped watching earlier this week and haven't bothered since. Didn't see any of it today and can't be bothered to watch the catch up show.

Possibly some smart person will say this is all because I'm a Hazel fan so let me say that I don't actually like any of the housemates much. I do think that Hazel has had a lot of crap thrown at her that she wouldn't have got if she was a man.

I hope the BB team read this but I don't think they'll much care. I'm probably not the demographic they're looking for but they needn't worry. The show has left such a nasty taste in my mouth that I won't be watching again.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *hugs*

I wish you could be like me, and see it as merely a game show, and not give a flying f*ck.

They'll all love each other when it's all finished, and you'll be sitting there fuming. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've felt like switching off for good many times over the years, but I just can't seem to, no matter how bad it gets :o

Old habits die hard I guess.
  • Options
    ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this post is absolutely correct, this series started off excellently but now it is leaving me with bad feelings about BB in general. The general bias against Hazel was glaringly obvious.

I am not saying that Hazel didn't have her low points as well, I didn't like her behavior when flirting with Daley and I didn't like when she got angry at Charlie, nor all this childish bickering with Gina recently but there is only so much crap a person can take isn't there?

The recent tasks have been all for causing conflict as well, pitting Dexter and Callum against each other and since the Gina and Hazel thing was hitting its peak, BB gave Gina 2 tasks in under 2 weeks that allowed her to single out a housemate. That for me just shows favoritism towards Gina which is obviously going to cause conflict between her and Hazel.

Again, I don't think Hazel always behaved perfectly but I think she generally coped well with all the crap she was given in that house which was definitely BB's plan.
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Will carry on watching but with total reservations, I wish I worked for endemol instead of some of the overpaid fools who work there. :( :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *hugs*

I wish you could be like me, and see it as merely a game show, and not give a flying f*ck.

They'll all love each other when it's all finished, and you'll be sitting there fuming. :(

I'm not fuming. I'm mildly disgusted with the show and the presenters but it's not something I'll be carrying around with me.

I won't be watching Girlfri3nds though. I've had enough of a vacuous moron peddling stereotypes. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not fuming. I'm mildly disgusted with the show and the presenters but it's not something I'll be carrying around with me.

I won't be watching Girlfri3nds though. I've had enough of a vacuous moron peddling stereotypes. ;)

Hahaha nice one.

I do agree though, this year has been horrendous for interference, and manipulation. I do wish it would go back to basics - Strangers in a house with no contact from the outside world. Nominating 2 people every week. Group based non favouritism tasks, making the group work together with the goal of earning food.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I can not disagree with any of that to be honest. Everything this year seems to be driven by the need to fuel housemate's dislike towards each other. I do not think following up a serious argument, between Hazel and Charlie with involvement by Gina, Sophie, The Twins and Dexter, the next day with a task designed to encourage Hazel to bitch about her fellow housemates, whilst simultaneously broadcasting that to the house, is a good move.

Then they follow that up with the weekly shopping task, where they purposely put a housemate of their choosing into the main authoritarian role, threw a bunch of rewards at her and gave her dominance over her housemates, all to continually drive the drama. That was the single greatest act of pure favouritism I have ever seen on this show over the years. I think the way the produces have handled the show this year has been terrible. They saw the popularity of the last Celebrity Big Brother with Heidi and Spencer vs Rylan and desperately tried to do the same with this one, trying to pair off as many housemates as they could and work them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched bb in years either and I too am somewhere north of horrified at the games treatment of it's contestants so I sympathize with you.
    *hugs*

wise words!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the task with Dexter as magician. Giving Sam coal was designed to wind him up. Putting anyone in the room to listen to others was designed to fuel conflict and the sctipt Dexter was fed was inrended to lead him to selecting Sam for disappearance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Wow, that's everything I would have written if I thought the morons that put this show together would take any notice. My worry is how Gina thinks the world owes her a living and acts like a spoiled brat and the housemates, the live crowd and much of the viewing public think that's okay. There was a time when someone like Gina would have been put up by the housemates and got rid of by the public immediately. Instead, people seem to think she's something to aspire to. Every year there would be someone that acted appallingly and despite some people on here saying "keep the "entertaining" people in, the British public were having none of it and did the right thing by booting them out fairly early. This year it seems that much of the public actually condone and approve of the sickening behaviour of Gina. Hazel has been no saint but the fact she flirted with a bloke in the house after he sent mixed messages about being single is deemed worse than the bloke himself lying about his relationship status in the first place, threatening her with violence, and then physically attacking her. If Big Brother is a reflection of our society God help us.
  • Options
    neversaydieneversaydie Posts: 1,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    I think this post is absolutely correct, this series started off excellently but now it is leaving me with bad feelings about BB in general. The general bias against Hazel was glaringly obvious.

I am not saying that Hazel didn't have her low points as well, I didn't like her behavior when flirting with Daley and I didn't like when she got angry at Charlie, nor all this childish bickering with Gina recently but there is only so much crap a person can take isn't there?

The recent tasks have been all for causing conflict as well, pitting Dexter and Callum against each other and since the Gina and Hazel thing was hitting its peak, BB gave Gina 2 tasks in under 2 weeks that allowed her to single out a housemate. That for me just shows favoritism towards Gina which is obviously going to cause conflict between her and Hazel.

Again, I don't think Hazel always behaved perfectly but I think she generally coped well with all the crap she was given in that house which was definitely BB's plan.
    I totally agree with you and the OP ,
    I was a avid Gina fan and was enjoying the early part of the show,the last two weeks have been horrendous ,to much manipulation in the tasks, bad edits and a lot of victimization.
    It was leaving a nasty taste and no fun.
    Even the forum was rubbish,personal attacks .on HMs looks etc.
    I have even noticed a lot of good posters have had very little input of late and must be feeilng like I do.
    I really do not care who wins this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Maybe gardening shows are more suitable for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Feeling exactly the same..its left a bad taste in my mouth. I dont care who wins..in fact Id love them to put Dan back in and win.
    Ive watched BB 2 and the one when the irish gay guy one..and now this one...and its the last.
    There is something seriously sick about the whole thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe gardening shows are more suitable for you.

Nah that Titchmarsh geezer writes filthy novels in between hoeing the soil. Unsavoury stuff.
  • Options
    Lottie_loweLottie_lowe Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    I feel the same OP

Time to look in the mirror BB UK! You have become a blood thirsty monster just to keep your ratings up!

Thank you to those who recommended this years BB Australia (available on utube). It is awesome! So far I have seen 8 episodes and everything seems balanced so well and their BB (voice) is super funny! Also one of their contestants looks like John-James ;)
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    I was a avid Gina fan and was enjoying the early part of the show,the last two weeks have been horrendous ,to much manipulation in the tasks, bad edits and a lot of victimization.
    I have even noticed a lot of good posters have had very little input of late and must be feeilng like I do.

What I think needs to happen is for a flame box to be created so any moans people have about an hm can go in that folder. That would bode for more sensible chat on here if it makes sense. :)
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,855
    Forum Member
    I have a lot of sympathy with your post OP. Personally I don't like to see outside influence on the housemates. If i could I would find a way of preventing them even hearing boos and cheers on eviction nights.

I feel one of the fundamental principles that give the show its intrigue is that they are away from all external feedback. To provide such insight into the public mind seems to be like playing poker in a room of mirrors - what is the point?

This year the interference has reached such ridiculous levels that they might as well have installed a phone and had the papers delivered each morning.

As for manipulating stories and as a consequence outcomes well........
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shoops wrote: »
    Wow, that's everything I would have written if I thought the morons that put this show together would take any notice. My worry is how Gina thinks the world owes her a living and acts like a spoiled brat and the housemates, the live crowd and much of the viewing public think that's okay. There was a time when someone like Gina would have been put up by the housemates and got rid of by the public immediately. Instead, people seem to think she's something to aspire to. Every year there would be someone that acted appallingly and despite some people on here saying "keep the "entertaining" people in, the British public were having none of it and did the right thing by booting them out fairly early. This year it seems that much of the public actually condone and approve of the sickening behaviour of Gina. Hazel has been no saint but the fact she flirted with a bloke in the house after he sent mixed messages about being single is deemed worse than the bloke himself lying about his relationship status in the first place, threatening her with violence, and then physically attacking her. If Big Brother is a reflection of our society God help us.

Fully agree with this and the OP's post. It has been appalling and I won't be tuning in to that parody of a show they call BB.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good ole day syndrome
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree.. There seems to have been a disastrous outbreak of infantilism at Endemol this year. Gina is popular! Let's give her lots and lots of treats and privileges to please the viewers! No one likes Hazel! Let's give her weeks of sheer hell to please the more spiteful viewers!

Are you 12 years old, you silly person? Don't swear at other forum members and don't post in textspeak for a start. And who the hell do you think you are coming in here as a brand new forum member and jeering at other people for not understanding how BB works? For a lot of us, this is our 14th year of watching it. We know how it worked in the glory days when it got 8 million viewers. My ideal house would be one where an interesting, diverse group of people were put into the house and fairly treated, with personal quirks revealing themselves naturally, as used to be the case.

Now please go away and learn some manners before posting
    on here.

Well said! :)
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See you next week!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have loved this series - it's in my top 3. So all I can say to the OP is .... "byeeeee!"
  • Options
    Kopite1763Kopite1763 Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree.. There seems to have been a disastrous outbreak of infantilism at Endemol this year. Gina is popular! Let's give her lots and lots of treats and privileges to please the viewers! No one likes Hazel! Let's give her weeks of sheer hell to please the more spiteful viewers!

Are you 12 years old, you silly person? Don't swear at other forum members and don't post in textspeak for a start. And who the hell do you think you are coming in here as a brand new forum member and jeering at other people for not understanding how BB works? For a lot of us, this is our 14th year of watching it. We know how it worked in the glory days when it got 8 million viewers. My ideal house would be one where an interesting, diverse group of people were put into the house and fairly treated, with personal quirks revealing themselves naturally, as used to be the case.
    Now please go away and learn some manners before posting on here.

Totally agree.

The thing I don't like about BB these days, is the manipulations to create drama. The pairings in the wrestling task, a prime example.
    Another thing that bugs me, is all this contact from the outside world, going as far as telling the HM who is popular and who is not, as it changes the whole dynamic of the house.
    All of the above, is why BB1 will als=ways be my fav series :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kopite1763 wrote: »
    Totally agree.

The thing I don't like about BB these days, is the manipulations to create drama. The pairings in the wrestling task, a prime example.
    Another thing that bugs me, is all this contact from the outside world, going as far as telling the HM who is popular and who is not, as it changes the whole dynamic of the house.
    All of the above, is why BB1 will als=ways be my fav series :)

It's a different show, definitely. BB obviously want to encourage conscious 'playing'. The housemates are pretty well kept abreast every week as to where they stand in the polls - who it is safe to row with and who it is safer to stay on the good side of. If they didn't know, for example, that Gina is the most popular, I think there would have been far more dissent over her spoilt behaviour in there. They have made her incredibly powerful. And Gina knew perfectly well that she could do what she liked to Hazel without adverse consequences.
  • Options
    nanna7nanna7 Posts: 1,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

100 % agree bb has gone down the drain this year stopped watching it watching bbau instead its very good