Options

Will Lady Gaga get a #1 with 'Applause?' (poll)

Comments

• Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Like all things Gaga the sales will be hugely front loaded so I'm sure it will get to #1 in the UK no matter how good (or bad) it is. The real trick will be keeping it at #1 in the ensuing weeks. That will be the test of whether it interests the GP as opposed to just her LMs (of which of course there are a large number).
  • Options
    maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim18 wrote: »
    What day of the week is she releasing the song on itunes? I hope its not friday again.

Monday 19th :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    From my understanding, a US #1 will be difficult. Thanks to new Billboard rules, debuting at the top is very hard (only done once since, with Harlem Shake thanks to video going viral). Someone suggested she'd need 100m views debut week in addition to strong sales and airplay.

Blurred Lines is the problem for a gradual climb, as it looks to block everything for the coming month. Katy's single may also get in the way (she'll inevitably have crazy airplay). Gaga will have too much instant coverage and hype bringing front loaded sales/attention to sit on the backburner and then rise.

The UK will be much more straight forward. Whoever sells the most that week, gets it. She will almost definitely sell the most.

Not that #1s are the be all and end all. Her mega-smashes during peak Gaga reign, Bad Romance and Telephone, missed out on Billboard and that didn't matter. It's how you end the race etc. and her single sales are deceptively strong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BTW had alot of Hype and failed to get Number 1 in the UK so hard to tell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    It should in the UK, it's released on a Monday so it will get a full week of sales. BTW only didn't get to #1 here because it was released on a Friday. Although Roar is generic trash that the GP will eat up, I think Gaga can still get the #1 in the US. The only problem is Blurred Lines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Katy's single leaking, I'm wondering if maybe the same will happen with 'Applause'?
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Katy's single leaking, I'm wondering if maybe the same will happen with 'Applause'?

By the looks of it a leak is unfortunately imminent.
  • Options
    mkirilenkofanmkirilenkofan Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that 8 second snippet is not promising at all.........GARBAGE!!!

really want her back to a sound similar to Just Dance....
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that 8 second snippet is not promising at all.........GARBAGE!!!

really want her back to a sound similar to Just Dance....

Where is the snippet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the snippet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUvja9bNPs - quick before it vanishes!

It sounds like the lead up to the chorus to me.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope she does. I don't like the title though. I hope to God she comes out with an insane battle campaign to sell it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snippet sounds awful. ARTFLOP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    https://soundcloud.com/weedhd/lady-gaga-applause-snippet Better quality snippet than the post above.

I like it, sounds better than Roar already.
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I really hate the snippet :(

Hoping the full song is going to grow on me. I'm sure it will because I actually really like Gaga's work, especially The Fame era
  • Options
    Off_the_hook13Off_the_hook13 Posts: 17,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know its only a 12 second clip but I love the sound of Applause already. :D
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has a very 80's pop rock sound to it, albeit it's just a 12 second snippet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have an opinion on the 'applause' snippet by itself - which I imagine is just the lead into a killer chorus - but combine it with the 'pop-culture' segment (as on the DS article) and I'm very excited.

I've had "Pop culture wasn't art now, arts and pop culture and me" stuck in my head for hours.
  • Options
    _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was hoping she'd drop the repeating of words thing, but alas it seems not...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know the snippet is short but I really like it, funky :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    53 say no, Gaga's got some divide :p

I reckon it will leak now, especially with the snippet leaking. Maybe some point this week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Like all things Gaga the sales will be hugely front loaded so I'm sure it will get to #1 in the UK no matter how good (or bad) it is. The real trick will be keeping it at #1 in the ensuing weeks. That will be the test of whether it interests the GP as opposed to just her LMs (of which of course there are a large number).

Can I change my vote please? :D Early days, I know, but looking like Ms Goulding could hold on in the UK and Ms Perry would appear to have the US sewn up.

Imo Gaga's big chance for #1 in the UK this week was for her to go straight to #1 on iTunes within a few hours of release (her sales are usually massively front loaded due to her LMs) but it hasn't happened so far. In fact, if you check out Kworb it's actually decreasing a little from its early peak. Having said that, LMs being so young in general tend to sleep longer than fans of artists with an older fanbase and it is the school holidays so look for an improvement in Applause's Kworb figures around about midday :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Duplicate...
  • Options
    NScotNScot Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I bet no one thought Ellie would keep Gaga from the #1 on UK iTunes? Just shows that the mess Gaga was in with her last era transfers into this era.
    This is a real test to see how big she really is......and with a naff 1st single.
    PS
    The amount of abuse Ellie will get on twitter, Facebook, Youtube will be awful from the LM when Sunday comes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Can I change my vote please? :D Early days, I know, but looking like Ms Goulding could hold on in the UK and Ms Perry would appear to have the US sewn up.

Imo Gaga's big chance for #1 in the UK this week was for her to go straight to #1 on iTunes within a few hours of release (her sales are usually massively front loaded due to her LMs) but it hasn't happened so far. In fact, if you check out Kworb it's actually decreasing a little from its early peak. Having said that, LMs being so young in general tend to sleep longer than fans of artists with an older fanbase and it is the school holidays so look for an improvement in Applause's Kworb figures around about midday :D

11.32 am and the song is beginning to motor in the UK :D
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Half the sales should be discounted anyway given she is begging her fans to buy multiple copies. :eek:

I never ever thought I would see the day an artist stooped that low.