Options

Doc Martin (Part 16 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I am so sorry everyone. The phone rang and I didn't check it once I'd posted it and realise now I put it in spoilers.

So sorry. :o:o:o

Great we are on a new page! If anyone wants to avoid spoilers don't read the last page! :o
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure was busy!

Do you think it shows DM about to leave the church and then he sees LG arriving?
    What do you think LG yells out "Martin" for? He could trip as he goes out the door with JH??
    I thought as you did about the church scene. To me, the shouted "Martin" sounded VERY angry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so sorry everyone. The phone rang and I didn't check it once I'd posted it and realise now I put it in spoilers.

So sorry. :o:o:o

Was it himself on the phone ?

Could forgive you anything if it was HIM...

Sigh.........................
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailers will probably get taken down if they are anywhere but hidden on facebook.

It doesn't really look as if we're going to get many happy moments. : ( If they kissed or even touched you would have thought they would have put it in the trailer.

DM still has the blood phobia by the looks of it? Does anyone agree?

If marrying LG isn't going to make DM happy then why do it?
    Am very worried about s6.

:cry::cry::cry:
    I haven't seen all the trailers. The one I viewed had very poor sound quality. For those of you who have viewed them all, are there any moments where the Doc has a contented look or even a small smile? Not just fearful, closed, upset, angry? Any touching of Louisa?

And I agree, Biff - music is horrible and if they're changing the music in the actual show this dramatically, the new director could be taking us on a very different ride. I just hope different doesn't mean grumpier and sadder. Much of S5 was sad to me. I don't want the Doc to have a personality transplant, but just would hope for a little relief from unremitting isolation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen all the trailers. The one I viewed had very poor sound quality. For those of you who have viewed them all, are there any moments where the Doc has a contented look or even a small smile? Not just fearful, closed, upset, angry? Any touching of Louisa?

And I agree, Biff - music is horrible and if they're changing the music in the actual show this dramatically, the new director could be taking us on a very different ride. I just hope different doesn't mean grumpier and sadder. Much of S5 was sad to me. I don't want the Doc to have a personality transplant, but just would hope for a little relief from unremitting isolation.
    I hope they're only using that depressing music for the trailers, not for the show itself! I don't think they would take away our wonderful Colin Towns music, complete with the Martin & Louise theme. Maybe they just wanted something different for the trailers. At FB someone provided a link to the music, lyrics, and interpretation. The lyrics remind me of the fishmonger's words in S5. "At least you're still shaving". I hope that person doesn't mind my sharing the link:
    http://rock.rapgenius.com/Vampire-weekend-obvious-bicycle-lyrics

The Doc with a contented look? Yes. There's a scene with DM and LG in the consulting room. He seems to perform a procedure of some kind (or something; hard to tell) and ends with a little flourish. Both of them look happy and contented and when he finishes whatever-it-is, they look at each other and hold each other's gazes. Looks very nice.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Oh, no, I don't think they would ever show us a kiss in a trailer. They're teasing us and won't show us any BIG moments.

It could be that the blood phobia is back. That one moment in the trailer sure looks that way. BUT, if I remember correctly from S5 trailers, they're tricky, and almost sometimes lead us down the garden path.

I don't see any reason to think DM is unhappy. There's an apparently sad moment when it appears he's holding a vial of blood, but you never know with these people.

I'm excited about S6. I think it will be a bit of everything, with ups and downs, and I'm looking forward to it. It looks...busy.

Love it! Busy!
    I also think it will be a roller coaster ride - and I would expect (and love) nothing less from DM. But I don't imagine it will end on a downer like S3. For one reason, I think they learned their lesson. And for another, the scenes we saw filmed that appeared to be near the end of the series with DM carring LE into the hospital say to me that we are going to have an exciting last episode (similar to JH being kidnapped) and with Louisa being injured/ill, you know that sets up a sweet, romantic ending. There is no way they would end it badly under those circumstances. As I said, they seemed to have learned their lesson from the ending of S3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I hope they're only using that depressing music for the trailers, not for the show itself! I don't think they would take away our wonderful Colin Towns music, complete with the Martin & Louise theme. Maybe they just wanted something different for the trailers. At FB someone provided a link to the music, lyrics, and interpretation. The lyrics remind me of the fishmonger's words in S5. "At least you're still shaving". I hope that person doesn't mind my sharing the link:
    http://rock.rapgenius.com/Vampire-weekend-obvious-bicycle-lyrics

The Doc with a contented look? Yes. There's a scene with DM and LG in the consulting room. He seems to perform a procedure of some kind (or something; hard to tell) and ends with a little flourish. Both of them look happy and contented and when he finishes whatever-it-is, they look at each other and hold each other's gazes. Looks very nice.
    My sense of the music choice is that they might be trying to draw in a younger audience with the promos. The catchy Portwenn music we love so much is not something that would entice most 20-30 year olds to tune in. I just think it is a smart marketing ploy.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The music used for the DM S5 trailer was "That Man" sung by that great Dutch jazz artist Caro Emerald. I think perhaps that is what they are doing for the DM S6 trailer - to pick some background music not used in the actual series. By the way, look up some of the you tubes of Caro Emerald. She is no size 2 but she oozes sexuality in her songs that many of our American singers should sit up and take note.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    My sense of the music choice is that they might be trying to draw in a younger audience with the promos. The catchy Portwenn music we love so much is not something that would entice most 20-30 year olds to tune in. I just think it is a smart marketing ploy.
    marchrand wrote: »
    The music used for the DM S5 trailer was "That Man" sung by that great Dutch jazz artist Caro Emerald. I think perhaps that is what they are doing for the DM S6 trailer - to pick some background music not used in the actual series. By the way, look up some of the you tubes of Caro Emerald. She is no size 2 but she oozes sexuality in her songs that many of our American singers should sit up and take note.

Good. That makes sense and apparently is consistent for the trailers.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »

You guys are probably right regarding the music issue. Apparently this band is pretty hot right now. Too bad I don't much like what they sound like...is that too curmudgeonly ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I don't know really if I would call them tributes so much as allusions. I'm anything but a movie critic or buff, but I do think that this is a common practice in film-making -- that there is a whole other language or grammar out there that is composed of memorable scenes from other productions that are well-known by those in the production business. It is used from time to time, perhaps as kind of an insider way of communicating or giving pleasure to others who speak that language (and maybe also as a tribute), and of giving an added dimension or depth to what they are doing.

And there are other "inside jokes" in the production -- the child named Emily Braithwaite, the friend of Holly's named Johnny Bamford, and I"m suspecting that the onions and vegetables are sort of inside jokes as well. And b/c we're not "inside" we are probably not picking up many of them.

Allusions

There are many allusions or throw backs from Doc Martin to Poldark the ground breaking series from the 1970s. Both take place in Cornwall with the town of Truro as a place of reference.

The opening sequence of both shows use similar stone/rock formations.
    Ross Poldark arrives by coach and four which is the prime transportation mode of the late eighteenth century. Doc Martin arrives by commuter plane.
    Ross arrives home to Judd and Trudy and water dripping into his living room. Doc Martin has the Large boys and water dripping in to the surgery.
    Ross is wounded by his time in the American War with a scar on his face and a limp. Doc is wounded by his crisis and consequent blood phobia.
    Love interests? Ross has Demelza, who often pronounces her name Dem-EL-zere. Doc has Louisa who often pronounces her name Lou-E-zere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    You guys are probably right regarding the music issue. Apparently this band is pretty hot right now. Too bad I don't much like what they sound like...is that too curmudgeonly ?
    You are in the demographic they already have traction with (me too :D). I suspect they are looking to expand into the younger demographics.

In discussing the different music in the S6 trailer, I looked up the S5 trailer. They also used different music that we have never seen in an episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0GudRglH3Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,298
    Forum Member
    What a pleasant surprise it was when I flicked the tv on just in time to see the advert for the new series! Having avoided all of the spoilers, I am now really excited and can't wait to see it! :)
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allusions

There are many allusions or throw backs from Doc Martin to Poldark the ground breaking series from the 1970s. Both take place in Cornwall with the town of Truro as a place of reference.

Ross Poldark arrives by coach and four which is the prime transportation mode of the late eighteenth century. Doc Martin arrives by commuter plane.
    Ross arrives home to Judd and Trudy and water dripping into his living room. Doc Martin has the Large boys and water dripping in to the surgery.
    Ross is wounded by his time in the American War with a scar on his face and a limp. Doc is wounded by his crisis and consequent blood phobia.
    Love interests? Ross has Demelza, who often pronounces her name Dem-EL-zere. Doc has Louisa who often pronounces her name Lou-E-zere.

Wasn't Poldark also filmed in Port Isaac? Very interesting, Patricia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allusions

The podcast ladies see Seinfeld reproduced in just about every DM episode. Not sure if it is meant to be or if it s accidental.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Was it himself on the phone ?

Could forgive you anything if it was HIM...

Sigh.........................

Well, it was a guy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of the trailers is a short version and two are the same trailer but one has a bit better sound quality.
    It doesn't look good so far! DM has everything he wants and is getting more and more morose. So much for character growth and development!

My only hope is that even the writers will realise the we'd find it pretty hard to believe that LG would marry him without the expectation of some sort of affection from DM.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it was a guy!

You are being very cagey...

Tall, broad-shouldered, silvery-haired sort of guy...?

C'mon, tell all :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allusions

Very interesting. Thanks for that. AcornTV is currently showing Poldark (but just through August, I think). I should watch it and watch for this kind of thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »

I'm not a doctor (and I don't play one on TV either), but it does sound strange to remove one organ because another is infected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the trailers is a short version and two are the same trailer but one has a bit better sound quality.
    It doesn't look good so far! DM has everything he wants and is getting more and more morose. So much for character growth and development!

My only hope is that even the writers will realise the we'd find it pretty hard to believe that LG would marry him without the expectation of some sort of affection from DM.
    Oh, I don't know, to me in most glimpses in the trailers, he just looks like the Doc. He isn't grinning in any of the shots, but he isn't necessarily scowling either. Well, he may be in one. And in one he looks quite content. In some of the others he looks nervous and in another sad. In a couple others he seems to simply be concentrating or thinking. They gave us most of his expressions here and there throughout the trailers. He rarely smiles in the episodes so it's a big deal when it happens. If we get a smile or two in S6 I wouldn't expect them to put it in a trailer. It'll be a surprise we won't see until we watch the episode.

That's my take on it, anyway. I think it's going to be a thrilling and fun series. I've seen several things in the trailers that I like. I like the fact that we see a great deal of DM and LG and JH together, including several DM/JH scenes. I like the fact that he looks more or less terrified before the wedding. I like the fact that there are night-time scenes. I like seeing the Doc muddy and dirty. I like seeing that Louisa is able to drag him to some public events that he probably detests, but he goes anyway.

I really like the scene with DM & Louisa in which he does something (can't tell what) with a flourish while Louisa looks on fondly and afterwards the two gaze at each other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The podcast ladies see Seinfeld reproduced in just about every DM episode. Not sure if it is meant to be or if it s accidental.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    You are being very cagey...

Tall, broad-shouldered, silvery-haired sort of guy...?

C'mon, tell all :D

I don't kiss and tell! :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Martin Clunes is on Daybreak tomorrow morning!
This discussion has been closed.