Options

Lady Gaga - Where did it all go wrong ?

Comments

• Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said before, I honestly think that by the time BTW came out, people had become a bit disinterested in her. Instead of 'Oh My God', people were more 'Oh, what the hell is she doing now?'
    IMO, if she had released BTW first & TF second, BTW would have been huge and TF less so.

I know what I mean, I hope it comes across in this post.
  • Options
    chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her, i have seen her live 4 times already but her first album was the best thing she ever did

Then instead of coming out and saying i just have a new album im very proud of it and i hope my fans will love it she went on this I made the greatest pop album of all time and it will revolutionize the music world when it was just another allright pop album

Shes doing the exact same thing for album #3 its not just music its art while the 1st single sounds like everything that has been on the radio for the past 2 years, little monsters are lapping this up while the casual fans are just like this song is allright but thats its , its nothing special
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of people got fed up of the hype and the overexposure. There's no denying that she's talented but her music is made out to be so much more than what it actually is. You'd think she was the second coming or something judging by how a lot of her fans act. Her music isn't any more profound or deep than most of the other pop music out there that a lot of her fans think she's above and better than.

That's it in a nutshell really.

I've never been a fan but there was a point around the time of her first chart success that I could easily see why she was popular. More recently though she seems to have become very pretentious and I think the music-buying public can soon get tired of that. Not to mention media/critic backlash, which is a powerful thing in shaping public opinion, sadly.
  • Options
    anteroantero Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    Her pandering to her fans is an issue. Born This Way (the single) and Applause are basically "fan anthems". Her two biggest songs, Poker Face and Bad Romance, are void of that IMO.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,235
    Forum Member
    Wrong??? Hilarious, just because this comeback single isnt the most popular ever id hardly say its gone wrong

I think alot of people just want to see her downfall as they dont like her

Personally I love the single, its an instant hit like most of her other hits :)
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Pleading with her fans to multibuy certainly isn't working in the US - she's getting royally shafted by Perry. I bet Interscope are just pleased 'Roar' hasn't been released in the UK yet (although Ellie Goulding may just block her here with that old Leona Lewis song).
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    antero wrote: »
    Her pandering to her fans is an issue. Born This Way (the single) and Applause are basically "fan anthems". Her two biggest songs, Poker Face and Bad Romance, are void of that IMO.

I agree. Most of us aren't superstars with fans that worship our every move so some of her lyrics aren't relatable. Some of the best pop songs are about personal relationships that people can identify with because they've been through the same things, falling in and out of love, breaking up etc. I don't feel that same personal connection with Gaga although I like her songs. It seems sort of fake to sing love songs to your fans whom you don't know personally.
  • Options
    _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her new song, but find it harder and harder to like her.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Pleading with her fans to multibuy certainly isn't working in the US - she's getting royally shafted by Perry. I bet Interscope are just pleased 'Roar' hasn't been released in the UK yet (although Ellie Goulding may just block her here with that old Leona Lewis song).

The begging for people to buy the record is really desperate and embarrasing. Offering to meet the fans who buy/gift the songs the most is really scraping the barrel and is just exploiting her fans
  • Options
    anteroantero Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I agree. Most of us aren't superstars with fans that worship our every move so some of her lyrics aren't relatable. Some of the best pop songs are about personal relationships that people can identify with because they've been through the same things, falling in and out of love, breaking up etc. I don't feel that same personal connection with Gaga although I like her songs. It seems sort of fake to sing love songs to your fans whom you don't know personally.

She used to be able to mix that lack of relateablity with something real and tangible - Paparazzi for example :(
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think it says something that people expect outstanding songs from her, and whenever she doesn't deliver them people are disappointed, yet the likes of Katy Perry and Rihanna can (and constantly do) release any old bog-standard pop song and people go crazy over it.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    The begging for people to buy the record is really desperate and embarrasing. Offering to meet the fans who buy/gift the songs the most is really scraping the barrel and is just exploiting her fans

I seem to remember that Tulisa did something vaguely similar when her album came out and she was royally slated for it.

Lady Gaga burned through so much with her first album; lots of hits, crazy outfits etc. to the extent that she left herself with nowhere else to go. But she claimed her next album would be the 'album of the decade' and other such nonsense, ramping up already near impossible expectation. Then the songs turn out to be pretty mediocre and even shambolic (Judas.) All the claims of great artistry only go to put people off if the material doesn't match the hype. And dressing up weirdly isn't artistic or quirky, it's just attention seeking. The people she tries to emulate, like Madonna and Bowie, wore outrageous outfits too at times but that tied in with the theme of the album cycle they were in. And I'm sure all the preachy waffle and weirdo fanatic fans has a fair part to play in putting people off too.

MTV always seem to love her though.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    It's #1 on iTunes in 43 countries, #2 in 20 more - with ARTPOP being #1 in 45 countries (including the UK).

No. 2 behind Ellie Goulding. Not a good sign.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    95% of current artists copied her beat, which many believe killed music I liked her cause she was different in every way when she debuted but now everything uses her beat which lowers her standereds
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    I do think it says something that people expect outstanding songs from her, and whenever she doesn't deliver them people are disappointed, yet the likes of Katy Perry and Rihanna can (and constantly do) release any old bog-standard pop song and people go crazy over it.

The likes of We Found Love and Diamonds are a million times superior to Applause in my opinion. ROAR is also significantly the better song.
    shackfan wrote: »
    No. 2 behind Ellie Goulding. Not a good sign.

I said ARTPOP was #1 on iTunes not Applause.

Gaga's not as instantly powerful as she once was, nor does she enjoy the gigantic popularity of her heyday - but the sky is not falling in because she's only #2 twenty-four hours after release. It's so early in it's lifespan, Applause still hasn't been playlisted by either Radio One or Capital yet; nor is there is a music video etc. We are only on Day Two of the ARTPOP campaign and people are already acting like it's a failure.

Meanwhile Applause is now #1 in 46 countries and ARTPOP #1 in 52, three months before release - so I think it is a tad too early for threads like this...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member

Because Gaga herself hypes her music to the moon and beyond. Of course people are going to expect an outstanding song when she advertises it as a song that will change the music industry etc etc
  • Options
    chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats because they just release songs and say here it is hope you like it while gaga says heres my new song it will change the music world
  • Options
    MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Gaga had released Roar, and Katy Perry had instead released Applause - what would you all say then? Would you be saying different things? I think if the tables had turned, and Gaga had come out with Roar she'd be even more slated than she's already being on here now. I've got nothing against Katy Perry - I loved Teenage Dream and think it's a pretty perfect example of a successful pop album, but Roar is one of the most generic things i've ever heard. It's got nearly every cliche in there, it's been done before by so many popstars - yet because she doesn't polarise any opinions it's touted as a great song. If Gaga had come out with Roar, everyone would be saying how awful the song was, I think.

I think it's a little early to be saying where did it all go wrong - let's at least give the song more than 48 hours of being premiered before saying it's all going downhill! I agree, it's not one of her most instant songs - but to imply it's all doing downhill is a little premature!
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gaga's whole purpose is to be the biggest, most overblown and brightest star. If she fails at being that there's no point to her. Other artists just put music out
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    I seem to remember that Tulisa did something vaguely similar when her album came out and she was royally slated for it.

Lady Gaga burned through so much with her first album; lots of hits, crazy outfits etc. to the extent that she left herself with nowhere else to go. But she claimed her next album would be the 'album of the decade' and other such nonsense, ramping up already near impossible expectation. Then the songs turn out to be pretty mediocre and even shambolic (Judas.) All the claims of great artistry only go to put people off if the material doesn't match the hype. And dressing up weirdly isn't artistic or quirky, it's just attention seeking. The people she tries to emulate, like Madonna and Bowie, wore outrageous outfits too at times but that tied in with the theme of the album cycle they were in. And I'm sure all the preachy waffle and weirdo fanatic fans has a fair part to play in putting people off too.

MTV always seem to love her though.

The other main difference from Madonna/Bowie is whilst they were experimenting with imagery their music was vastly superior to Gaga's at this point in her career. It really IS all about the music in the end.
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She alienating all of her casual fans by appealing too much to the gays, to the point of being completely patronising. She overhypes everything and goes too far with the wackiness, and ends up just being completely pretentious.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listened to The Fame monster for the first time in a long time today and whilst not groundbreaking or unique it's a fantastic pop album. Speechless in particular is a true testement to her talent and it amazes me how she has gone from that to Applause.
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the on air / on sale thing doesn't always work? Maybe the record company should let the song get some decent airplay/videoplay first so when it is released, it will sell more? Some songs can have up to a month of airplay before it's released.

Also, I think her earlier work maybe had more cross appeal. My Dad can't stand modern pop music but he absolutely loves Poker Face, even now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think her ego is too big, if you watch videos from her tour she spends a lot of time preaching about self love, anti-homophobia etc which is all well and good but the casual listener isn't interested in that stuff and just wants to hear good music and is probably quite alienated by the preaching (this is also apparant if you compare the interviews done in the born this way 'era' and the fame era where she takes herself much less seriously). What is also worrying is that one of the main producers for Artpop is DJ White Shadow who is relatively underground and responsible for the majority of the born this way album, whilst the sound may appeal to hardcore stans it is not radio friendly and you need to be in order to compete with the likes of Katy Perry and Rihanna.