Options

Visiting the zoo; are you contributing to animal cruelty?

Ben ScottBen Scott Posts: 35
Forum Member
I'd say yes.

The more visitors they get, the more chance of more animals being snatched from their habitat and put in disgusting and cruel places like zoos.

Do you feel guilty?

You should.

Comments

• Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst day out I had in my life was taking my oldest son to Dudley Zoo for the day. The animals looked so depressed and miserable. That was in the 1990s but it has haunted us ever since, and funnily enough, we were just talking about it the other day and that all these years on, we still feel guilty for giving them money.

There are pretences at conservation etc (there were in the 90s, too) but it doesn't really ameliorate what we saw that day and I do genuinely still have flashbacks!
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben Scott wrote: »
    I'd say yes.

The more visitors they get, the more chance of more animals being snatched from their habitat and put in disgusting and cruel places like zoos.

Do you feel guilty?

You should.

No, I'm contributing to animal conservation efforts and the continuing education of my young niece.

I feel no shame in that.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't like to see large mammals in zoos, especially predators. Years ago I saw a polar bear walking backwards and forwards incessantly along the edge of a pool maybe 20 yards in length. Backwards and forwards, backwards and forwards....like Hogzilla, that image has stayed with me.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I'm contributing to animal conservation efforts and the continuing education of my young niece.

I feel no shame in that.

^
    This

Whilst we in the UK know it's wrong to destroy habitats. Other countries are less educated and continue to destroy huge areas of the world were these animals live.
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    I really don't like to see large mammals in zoos, especially predators.

:eek: That would certainly have me yelling to the kids "Run! Go! Get to da choppa!"
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Now the vast vast majority of animals in zoos have been bred in captivity not taken from the wild.

I don't enjoy smaller zoos, as the facilities often seem insufficient for the animals' well being. Bigger zoos like Marwell for example are great though and play an important part in international breeding and reintroduction programs for endangered species.
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friends wanted to visit the local aquarium...we literally walked past it, and I refused to go in. I abhor zoos. Awful places with animals in cages. But then, unlike many people, I possess something called empathy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I feel no shame in that.

Put a nature documentary on for her. That's more than enough education, seeing the beautiful animals in their natural habitat. Attenborough would be grateful too, for all the hard work he and his ilk put into their careers.
  • Options
    cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last time I went to London zoo, back in the 80's seeing a polar bear moving from one side to the side of his pen. I didn't feel comfortable.

I went to Windsor Safari Park, before it closed down which was much better, except for the the poor dolphins and killer whales, performing tricks. They are such intelligent creatures, but just used for man's enjoyment.

I haven't been back to either since, being an animal lover.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peroquil wrote: »
    :eek: That would certainly have me yelling to the kids "Run! Go! Get to da choppa!"

I used to want one as a pet, but that would be one big cat flap!
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't feel ashamed. I love zoo's. Singapore Zoo and Night Safari are especially good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely find zoos very very boring. I'm not joking. And I love animals. Weird. Like circuses and any other spectator activity. If I'm not interacting with the animals it's really uninteresting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friends wanted to visit the local aquarium...we literally walked past it, and I refused to go in. I abhor zoos. Awful places with animals in cages. But then, unlike many people, I possess something called empathy.

So you have never been to a zoo or aquarium?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put a nature documentary on for her. That's more than enough education, seeing the beautiful animals in their natural habitat. Attenborough would be grateful too, for all the hard work he and his ilk put into their careers.

And deprive international conservation groups some much needed funds that go towards their effort in protecting endangered species?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you have never been to a zoo or aquarium?

When I was younger and was made to go, yeh. I never enjoyed them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was younger and was made to go, yeh. I never enjoyed them.

Some are a lot better than others. There are two near me, Twycross and Drayton Manor. Twycross is pretty good, but Drayton is an awful place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even as a kid, I was always more interested in native animals like bats, owls and sparrows than exotic things like lions and giraffes anyway. And I still feel like that. I'd rather just go for a walk and see something like an interesting bird, a slow worm, or a squirrel. Fake safari experience as in them wildlife parks, leaves me really cold, too. Actually don't get it at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And deprive international conservation groups much needed funds towards their effort in protecting endangered species?

Which side are you actually on?

Fine then. :cool: I can't be bothered to explain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some are a lot better than others. There are two near me, Twycross and Drayton Manor. Twycross is pretty good, but Drayton is an awful place.

I'm sure it's lovely, it's just not for me personally. I don't mind if people want to enjoy zoos. I just don't.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are any of the people objecting to good zoos (not the bad ones) not vegan?

It would seem hypocritical to object to well kept animals in zoos but then participate in the output of livestock farming.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't feel Guilty , places like London Zoo are now geared towards conservation these days and have fantastic education facilities and very good breeding programs for endangered species both for animals in captivity and out in the wild ,

I have more of an issue with places like seaworld where the Animals and mammals are made to perform several times a day in front of huge noisy crowds
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Are any of the people objecting to good zoos (not the bad ones) not vegan?

It would seem hypocritical to object to well kept animals in zoos but then participate in the output of livestock farming.

I'm a vegetarian, but not a vegan. :)

Although I don't think it matters as seeing animals in captivity (however credible the breeding program/good the conditions) is a different thing entirely. You can eat meat and have no problem with it, but find putting animals in cages for their lifetimes, or making African animals live outside through a British winter, to be a cruel thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fine then. :cool: I can't be bothered to explain.

Fine with me. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took my kids to Colchester Zoo about 15 years ago. It traumatised me to be honest. I will never forget the look in the monkeys eyes as it placed its hand over mine behind the glass. And the poor ****ing Lion.......Honestly it was horrific to me.
    I do understand the 'protecting the species' thing....but surely these days we can do this in the wild? We have protected areas where these endangered breeds are left in relative peace to live as they should.

I hate zoos with a vengeance. I feel for those that work within them. I am sure they are doing it for the animals, but they are so misguided.
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the middle of a conservation degree right now and I think the vast majority of zoos these days do a fantastic job caring for the animals. We've come on leaps and bounds from 50 or so years ago when there was no concern at all for their welfare. At lot of the bigger zoos are primarily geared towards conservation now anyway, and they do a great job educating the public as well.

By the way, I assume the people saying they're against keeping these animals in captivity are also against keeping cats and dogs as pets?