Options

Is Sam's deafness really that bad?

KayteJKayteJ Posts: 157
Forum Member
Can anyone tell me how deaf Sam is meant to be?

I was wondering how he hears BB in the Diary room? I know he lip reads...but obviously, that's not possible at times.

Also, i've been trying to find out via Google, but i'm getting conflicting stories. For example, on his BB profile, it says

''Sam was born with 70-80% hearing loss, which his parents discovered when he was 3 years old.''
http://www.bbspy.co.uk/bb14/housemates/sam-evans

However, i also read he was on Deal or No Deal last year, and after checking the DOND fansite, found this post

''Sam talks about his hearing disability and how it wasn't discovered until he was 7. He says he was very fortunate to be able to recover to have 70% of his hearing. ''
http://www.dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23983&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

So, does anyone know for sure?

Comments

• Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not deaf thank god but would assume that having 70% deafness would make living in BB house very difficult. particularly at the start when there were some many peopl all talking at once

he does wear hearing aids which are quite noticeable so yes his deafness is quite bad.

I am sure I noticed last night when big brother was telling them about the twist that he was reading from a piece of paper, which I assume BB gave him explaining the situation
  • Options
    wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    The equivalent of what Sam would experience would be akin to no hearing at all because what he could hear would be muffled or distorted in some other way. You can tell that Sam was born deaf by the way that he speaks. People who have learnt to speak and then become deaf often have perfect speech. Wearing a hearing aud in an environment with lots of different sounds, like lots of different voices, would be confusing. Certain sounds are amplified by the aid and some sounds would be muted out, this is highly likely to be the reason that Sam keeps out of group conversations.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not read anything, but think Sam must have fairly profound deafness, and there have been some hidden challenges for him. As well as not always catching things said unless he's looking directly at someone, he has the added challenge of not picking up on the subtleties, such as tone and pitch of voice.

He's had some misunderstandings, when someone's been ironic or sarcastic for example and has to go on clues like facial expressions. He sometimes takes things far too literally and reads way too much into words said, and becomes confrontational which gets him in trouble.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,794
    Forum Member
    He easily understood the conversation in the bedroom well enough to determine that Dexter is full of "bullshit", even though he only heard it in passing
  • Options
    wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    I think that's just a rounded opinion of Dexter.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    He easily understood the conversation in the bedroom well enough to determine that Dexter is full of "bullshit", even though he only heard it in passing

Well Dexter was speaking loud and clearly so it's hardly surprising.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is obviously so profoundly deaf it has effected his speech.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This. Nitpicking over the extent of his deafness is rather distasteful and petty in my view.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This. Nitpicking over the extent of his deafness is rather distasteful and petty in my view.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »

Well he's had a whole 9 weeks to work that out! ;) but there have been ample times, most recently in the highlights the other night, when he said to BB - I haven't a clue what everyone's singing about, but I'll just join in anyway.
  • Options
    JayUK69JayUK69 Posts: 1,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think he plays on it and hears a lot more than he lets on.
  • Options
    molo flapianmolo flapian Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check out Sam's BB VT.
    He tells us there.

Warning for the easily offended.
    He does mention his willy expanding
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayUK69 wrote: »
    Plays on being deaf? That has to be the most offensive and cretinous statement I've read in a long while
  • Options
    molo flapianmolo flapian Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, he hears a lot less than he let's on.

Talked to Gina about that one he has.
  • Options
    keeping_it_realkeeping_it_real Posts: 3,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's obviously profoundly deaf for it to have affected his speech.

My dad is deaf but with a hearing aid he'd have been able to make out what Dexter was saying in a room with nobody else talking. In a group discussion or with background noise he'd struggle, even with a hearing aid.
  • Options
    Seanieb1983Seanieb1983 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of you will pick at anything to discredit a housemate won't you.
    Are you for real?

I mean really, come on. He clearly has problems hearing, so much so that its affected his speech. But you're saying he's faked it to the point where he can't pronounce his words clearly.

Idiot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Plays on being deaf? That has to be the most offensive and cretinous statement I've read in a long while
    Oh trust me, it's been going on and on and on for weeks, in endless threads like this that don't ask any new questions or make any new points and sadly populated by people without any thought or sensibilities to others.
    *sighs* (and believe me, I don't do that lightly)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of you will pick at anything to discredit a housemate won't you.

Are you for real?

I mean really, come on. He clearly has problems hearing, so much so that its affected his speech. But you're saying he's faked it to the point where he can't pronounce his words clearly.

Idiot.

I never said he faked it, dumb ****. I said he probably hears more than he lets on. As in, he complained that he couldn't join in as he struggled to hear multiple conversations, which in recent weeks he hasn't seemed to have a problem with.
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On last nights h/l's he heard what Dexter said despite the fact that he was about 10 feet away with his back to him I could not believe it in fact I rewound it to double check.
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »

I totally agree and find this thread appalling is that what this forum has come down to questioning somebodies level of disability?:mad:
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    I never said he faked it, dumb ****. I said he probably hears more than he lets on. As in, he complained that he couldn't join in as he struggled to hear multiple conversations, which in recent weeks he hasn't seemed to have a problem with.

For the obvious reason there are less people in there all talking at once.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dumb ****.

Nope, not funny, not friendly. :(:(:(
  • Options
    Kopite1763Kopite1763 Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member

Perhaps he hasnt struggled so much, as you put it, because there are less people in the house, and therefore less people speaking all at once!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fisch wrote: »
    For the obvious reason there are less people in there all talking at once.

Yet, as someone already pointed out, he heard Dexter perfectly well even having his back towards him.

He has played on his deafness all series as a way of keeping low as he supposedly couldn't understand anything, only to try and get involved at the last minute to try and win.
  • Options
    Wildrover06Wildrover06 Posts: 4,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam has already stated that they use an audio induction loop system which enables him to hear more clearly in the diary room.

I can't figure out why the OP is questioning Sam's hearing difficulties, or what 'percentage' hearing loss they think it is. It's not all about percentages. Little things like distinguishing between backround noise & other sounds obviously come into play.

Anyone who has had ear infections & has had to have their ears packed with gauze soaked in antibiotic would have some small idea of what people with hearing loss have to deal with 24\7, & that isn't even a good enough comparison.