Options

Another TV License thread

Comments

• Options
    SmartTIIamSmartTIIam Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    This could well be true.

The only person I've ever known to be done for not having a TVL was a girl who was on her own.

Apparently the agents 'barged in' and bullied her into signing the confession form. :(

Yeah, they collared me going into my Mum's and I gave him a mouthful. The police were just around the corner, actually working on a case of a stolen ATM machine, and he was threatening to get one of the them. I know for a fact they need a court order and the police don't like them much either. So I didn't hang around waiting for him to return. I think as soon as they realised Mum had somebody there who knew the score, they backed off. That's why I despise them. Bullies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    ROFL. Hopefully this is tongue in cheek but in case anyone believes it, it's wrong.

TVL is quite simple really. If you possess the equipment to watch or record any TV as it's being broadcast, you need a licence. It doesn't matter which TV it is - BBC, ITV, C4 etc, it's the equipment that matters. Clearly a tv with no aerial or sat feed doesn't count, nor does a monitor plugged into a DVD player. A computer with a USB TV dongle connected to an aerial does. Where a house can be shown to comprise separate dwellings, a licence is required for each separate household. Clearly in this case there will be two tenancy agreements which show two households, so it's just not an issue. The other guy can say what he likes, but the reality is that only he needs a licence if the situation is as described.

You explained it better than I did.
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone put my mind at rest ?

I just checked our TV licence and it expired in June 2013 , a couple of months ago .

Now we have been paying and continue to pay for our licence monthly by DD .

On closer inspection it does say to keep the licence for three years AND it does say that our licence will be renewed automatically if we carry on pain instalments BUT the expiry date is clearly June 2013 !!

Are they simply cutting back on paper licences ??
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I pay mine when it's due and receive an email soon afterwards with confirmation that the new licence is now valid.

It might be that paying by DD over 12 months means that half of your payments are for the previous year's licence and half are for next year, so you don't receive the licence until halfway through the pay period when you start paying for that year's licence.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    Can anyone put my mind at rest ?

I just checked our TV licence and it expired in June 2013 , a couple of months ago .

Now we have been paying and continue to pay for our licence monthly by DD .

On closer inspection it does say to keep the licence for three years AND it does say that our licence will be renewed automatically if we carry on pain instalments BUT the expiry date is clearly June 2013 !!

Are they simply cutting back on paper licences ??

Have just checked my TVL and at the top it has in bold "This is the last paper licence you'll receive until 2016".

It goes on to say that this is due to the LF being fixed until 2016, so your payments on your DD wont change, so it seems to be general (well, for those paying by DD anyway) so no need to fret, the TVL boogie man wont get you.......
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    As you say that you watch YT I am surprised that you have never come across one of the many videos such as " a TV inspector calls "
    They explain fully how you don't need one in your position.
    Fun to watch too.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As you say that you watch YT I am surprised that you have never come across one of the many videos such as " a TV inspector calls "

Thanks. That'll give me some amusement for this morning :D
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,582
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    TVL is quite simple really. If you possess the equipment to watch or record any TV as it's being broadcast, you need a licence.

Sorry, but this is completely and utterly WRONG!.

You only need a licence if you watch or record live TV, NOT for possessing the equipment.

In the distant past you did need a licence for possession, and I was often involved in modifying equipment so as not to need a licence, and providing a written statement that this was the case - but this changed years ago.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member

I've just watched one of those and to be honest I just don't get why some people go through this ritual if they genuinely don't have a TV or don't recieve live TV.
    Surely it would take less time and be a lot less stressful just to let the guy in and let him look and leave again rather than agro at the doorstep.
    More than likely in most cases these folk are just playing the system and are quite happy to watch live TV and probably mainly the BBC channels, but just continue to make excuses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I've just watched one of those and to be honest I just don't get why some people go through this ritual if they genuinely don't have a TV or don't recieve live TV.
    Surely it would take less time and be a lot less stressful just to let the guy in and let him look and leave again rather than agro at the doorstep.
    More than likely in most cases these folk are just playing the system and are quite happy to watch live TV and probably mainly the BBC channels, but just continue to make excuses.

Because the goons have be known to lie on their paperwork and forge signatures. If they can go into court and describe the person's property, it gives them an advantage. They have no more right of entry to your home than me turning up on your doorstep and demanding you let me see your TV. They're a private company and have no automatic right of entry.

In order for them to force the issue they would have to be able to prove to a reasonable state that you were watching TV without a license, and obtain a court order. They could then turn up with the Police. The Police don't like them. To be fair, probably not every one of them but some are bullying gits. They mainly get prosecutions for intimidating people who don't know their rights and it's probably the decent law abiding people who are frightened of them who respect authority. They also bully a number of people into buying TV licenses when they don't need one.

If they show up at the front door, you need to give as little information as possible and tell them to do one and ideally film it. People do this because they have been known to lie and forge paperwork. It's no coincidence that most of their prosecutions are women who were home alone and were intimidated by them, or elderly people. They target specific people. Scumbags.

BTW I have always paid my license. I am not a dodger, and I am very law abiding. At the moment money is tight so I simply do not have a TV and I am happy watching online catch-up services. This is what I will be doing in future. I get so worked up because I don't like bullies.

For all I know the guy I have to share the kitchen and bathroom with may genuinely believe the crap he has been told. I've tried putting him straight but he wouldn't listen to me. Or he may have been trying it on. Who knows? When I see him next I will be educating him on how to deal with the goons. Funnily enough, he's very savvy when it comes to knowing what benefits to claim. So I will reserve judgement.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    actually I am wrong...sorry just checked

I am glad you realise your mistake :) There are so many people that think like you did and tell me that I need a TV licence. I wonder how many people are paying for a TV licence because they think they have to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SmartTIIam, you are in a bedsit then? I was in one years ago and I was told I needed a Tv licence by the landlady and I only watched videos. i knew she was wrong because like you I had a separate tenant agreement.

Well done for fighting your corner.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Just punch him in the face and tell him to piss off.

That should do the trick.

Not unless you want to get pulled up in court on charges of assault.

After all, just one punch can actually kill people!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    SmartTIIam, you are in a bedsit then? I was in one years ago and I was told I needed a Tv licence by the landlady and I only watched videos. i knew she was wrong because like you I had a separate tenant agreement.

Well done for fighting your corner.

No it's a house. We share a kitchen and bathroom. In some ways I would prefer a bedsit then this problem wouldn't have arisen. I have two rooms of the house and he has a couple of rooms, that's all.

We technically have two different address, as in room numbers.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    I am sure you need a tv licence to watch iplayer in fact I am positive you do

Npt unless the programme you are watching via iPlayer is live streaming, then no you don't.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Just punch him in the face and tell him to piss off.

That should do the trick.

this.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but this is completely and utterly WRONG!.

You only need a licence if you watch or record live TV, NOT for possessing the equipment.

In the distant past you did need a licence for possession, and I was often involved in modifying equipment so as not to need a licence, and providing a written statement that this was the case - but this changed years ago.

I can confirm this is correct. You may possess the equipment but the burden of proof on the TV licencing people to prove that you are watching live TV, not on you to prove that you are not. In this case "prove" means either catching you in the act or finding strong circumstantial evidence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can confirm this is correct. You may possess the equipment but the burden of proof on the TV licencing people to prove that you are watching live TV, not on you to prove that you are not. In this case "prove" means either catching you in the act or finding strong circumstantial evidence.

And that means not letting them in to fabricate circumstantial evidence :D

Not all of them are going to be tossers. But you don't know that and have to assume the worst.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    SmartTIIam wrote: »
    And that means not letting them in to fabricate circumstantial evidence :D

Not all of them are going to be tossers. But you don't know that and have to assume the worst.

Yes :D

You are not obliged to let a TV detector person into your house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's a house. We share a kitchen and bathroom. In some ways I would prefer a bedsit then this problem wouldn't have arisen. I have two rooms of the house and he has a couple of rooms, that's all.

We technically have two different address, as in room numbers.

Um, that is a hard one, my nephew have just moved into a shared house in Birmingham and he is paying part of the TV rental as the house is still classed as a single abode.

Anyone can put a number on a room door, but it still don/t mean it is another place of abode. i would have thought it would have to be registered as two separate addresses.

i am pretty sure there are people on here that knows more about it than me as some on here do own property for renting.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,582
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Um, that is a hard one, my nephew have just moved into a shared house in Birmingham and he is paying part of the TV rental as the house is still classed as a single abode.

I don't think it really matters - if you don't have a need for a TV licence, then there's no requirement to pay half of your neighbours licence. If they BOTH had TV's, then fair enough, they obviously have a moral obligation to split it.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to share a house with a bloke. We're nothing to do with each by the way. We have two separate tenancy agreements. He rents two rooms, I rent two rooms and we share kitchen and bathroom. I never met him until I moved it, I want nothing to do with him.

I came home and he collared me in the kitchen. He tried to claim I owed him for half of HIS TV license. Firstly by saying that we were a "household." I pointed out to him that we were not. We were totally separate from each other and had nothing legally to do with one another. He then told me because I had a laptop, I needed a TV License. He said that he was told by the letting agents that we were both of the same address and therefore of the same household. I know this is baloney.

I don't own a TV. The only thing I do is watch iPlayer, YT, etc. I don't watch broadcasts 'as live.' I'm not dumb enough to believe I need a license simply because I own a computer. And yes, even if I had a TV that wasn't hooked up to an aerial socket or satellite and using it to watch 'as live' broadcasts, I still wouldn't need one.

So tonight, he announced that he was no longer going to pay for a license and was just going to watch TV without one.

I suppose my worry is that if the TVL goons come knocking he will try and claim we are a single household and drag me into it by claiming I am not paying. I haven't done it but I will fill in the online thing saying that I don't need a license but put in my address. We technically have two different addresses.

He may be just ignorant, but also trying to con me into paying. He isn't the brightest person on the planet. Was wondering what to do about it but I just remembered I can fill in the online form. If he has done his as the full house address, rather than our own specific addresses I was worried I could be dragged into it. I think he pays monthly, so as soon as his payments stop, the letters and threats of court and fines will start flooding in.

Copy and paste this as an e mail to TVL, and see what they advise. Delete the word "goons" first.
  • Options
    humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one of the problems with flatshares. All the flatshares I have lived in have had all the bills paid for me already by the landlord. Yes he should be paying all the TV license but that would also mean you should probably avoid all TV watching. If you sit in the living room, do not watch any TV even if the TV is already on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    humanracer wrote: »
    This is one of the problems with flatshares. All the flatshares I have lived in have had all the bills paid for me already by the landlord. Yes he should be paying all the TV license but that would also mean you should probably avoid all TV watching. If you sit in the living room, do not watch any TV even if the TV is already on.

It's not a flat share. We have two totally separate tenancy agreements. We are not a single household in law but two separate households. We don't share a TV, and we don't have a living room. I would not use it even if we did. I do not have access to a television set and nor do I want one. I pay for broadband which I pay for in full as it is MY broadband. I don't have wireless enabled, so therefore he does not use it. He is also not the landlord. Technically if you do have a separate tenancy agreement, you are technically not part of the same household and should have your own license. Obviously if you are renting a room in somebody else's house/flat and they have a TV license, they probably won't look too deeply into it.

My point is the bloke tried to tell me that I needed a license even if I just had a computer monitor or a laptop. Baloney. I don't have a television because I don't want to pay for a license, especially as it would be in his name. He pays for his own license as far as I am concerned

We also do technically have two separate addresses.

You would only need a single license if you had a joint tenancy.

From the TVL Website. It's quite clear

Do I need a licence if I live in a shared house and it's not my TV?

If you've signed a joint tenancy agreement with your housemates, it's likely you'll only need one TV Licence to cover all the TV receivers in your house. So it's a good idea to share the cost. If you don't have a licence between you, whoever is found watching TV when an Enforcement Officer comes to visit is at risk of being prosecuted and fined up to £1,000. It could be you, whether you own the TV or not.

If you've signed a separate tenancy agreement and you're using a TV receiver in your room, you'll need a TV Licence of your own.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,761
    Forum Member
    I also have a theory about Capita that they're more likely to target single women out for a visit....
    Well you know what they say. Theories are like back-sides; everyone has one. And your theory has something else in common with bums in that it's full of sh.... :D
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    This could well be true.
    Except that it isn't. A couple of anonymous people on the internet is merely anecdotal; nothing more.