Options

Big School

Comments

• Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched and really enjoyed it. It was very well cast and had a flavour of old fashion sitcom about it. It was more gentle harmless fun that gave you a warm smile. Maybe a lot of the people on here complaining about it have got to accustomed to today's vulgar, swearing and shock factor dialogue comedy shows that are supposed to be hip and sick!!?
    There were some excellent moments for the opener last night although they were obvious ones in many respects. Silly and predictable but quite funny. Can't wait until next episode to see what else is on offer. :D

I think that's a slightly cliched criticism of those who didn't like it. There are, and have been over the years, many comedies which haven't contained swearing or what could be termed vulgarity and have been great. This wasn't really among their number.

(Besides, as someone pointed out, this did contain the joke about the PE teacher's erection, which I think could fairly be categorised as crude)
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    ^ You can't have a 70s/80s influenced British sitcom without knob jokes!

What's the world coming to ....
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it ... I was surprised that the "headteacher" was smoking in her room but the scene that stuck out for me was when she says to the child "you brought alcohol to the school grounds" kid replies "can I get it back miss later" HT: "no it will be disposed" - I think kid walks out room - she then opens it and starts drinking it :eek: (oh well drinking on the job :D)
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was OK nothing to go mad about, only worry is we may have seen the best episode already !
    Reading this whole thread you get the impression some of the posters are somehow pleased that in their opinion the programme is awful :confused:
  • Options
    Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    "Oh hi i am Simon from BT being Simon in Big School" because I cannot do more than one voice or act any different.

Except win BAFTAS for potraying Eric Morecambe.
  • Options
    peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    grauniad wrote: »
    This is what we should expect from Walliams, like Him or not. It will be laced with not-too-subtle sexual references, a million miles from the stuff that went on between De la Tour and Rossitter. I'm all for bawdy, but alluding to erections, oral sex and bestiality was quite strong.

I enjoyed it, but have to agree with you. They don't need all the sexual stuff and they may find a lot of people switching off if it gets too explicit. Shame really, but as you say, that's David Walliams.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,900
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    I found it mildly amusing, but not as good as Please Sir,who remembers that?

The film was on C4 on Friday afternoon:)
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,292
    Forum Member
    "You'd better back off sunshine, or I'll slip you a length".
    "No, that's not what that means".

Had to let out a chuckle there. :D
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was just about ok, a few laughs but nothing special after all the trailers and weeks of hype. Considering the quality of cast involved it was a disappointment, they deserved better than this.
  • Options
    jak frostjak frost Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Utter crap.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peaches41 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, but have to agree with you. They don't need all the sexual stuff and they may find a lot of people switching off if it gets too explicit. Shame really, but as you say, that's David Walliams.

Although the sexual stuff (not too mention the effing and blinding) hasn't done Mrs Brown's Boys any harm.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    The funniest bit was when Catherines character went to kick the ball but missed. Infact that wad the only bit that made me laugh out loud.
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was just about ok, a few laughs but nothing special after all the trailers and weeks of hype. Considering the quality of cast involved it was a disappointment, they deserved better than this.

We gave it about 15 minutes and then gave up .

The young teacher guy from the BT broadband advert should have stayed there , the series if ads are better scripted than this tosh . Coming from a Walliam's fan .
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I watched it and quite enjoyed it. When you compare the opening episode to that of Citizen Khan, The Job Lot, Count Arthur Strong and the entire series of Heading Out and The Wright Way, it was absolutely hilarious!
  • Options
    Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I thought it began really nicely with lots of subtle comic moments, such as Frances de la Tour interrupting Catherine Tate halfway through her rousing "Who thinks learning French is boring" speech.

But then Walliams ran out of steam and it nose-dived into a slightly creepy and oddly misogynistic battle between Mr Church and the PE teacher for Catherine Tate's affections. The massage scene was pointlessly creepy and the locking of Tate in the car was ill-judged.

I can't see it improving. Walliams' style seems to be to churn out the same jokes each week for an entire series. I think the first ten minutes of this episode may be the highlight!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I gave it a go as I enjoyed Come Fly With Me, but this one is very poor, very poor.

Jokes seem forced, predictable, cheesy... . Just didn´t like it.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then Walliams ran out of steam and it nose-dived into a slightly creepy and oddly misogynistic battle between Mr Church and the PE teacher for Catherine Tate's affections. The massage scene was pointlessly creepy and the locking of Tate in the car was ill-judged.

I'm not surprised BS was creepy, David Walliams has always had a very warped sense of humour & he co wrote it !

I really can't understand what Philip Glenister was thinking of agreeing to be in this TV series.

I thought he'd got far better judgement than to appear in this sort of tripe & it's completely at odds with any of the work he's ever done before.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Although the sexual stuff (not too mention the effing and blinding) hasn't done Mrs Brown's Boys any harm.:D

That struck me, as I watched the MBB episode for about the fourth time, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

No idea why some comedies work, and some are by david walliams.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dission wrote: »
    I gave it a go as I enjoyed Come Fly With Me, but this one is very poor, very poor.

Jokes seem forced, predictable, cheesy... . Just didn´t like it.

I think it's at any rate better than Come Fly With Me!
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had to watch this on iPlayer last night because the night it was on TV my Mum had felt the need to phone me during it to ask me if I was watching it as she could not believe how awful it was :D so being the curious type I gave it a watch, through my fingers at first..

Well it wasn't as bad as I was expecting but it was a bit pedestrian, especially the second half, and the jokes were predictable. However as a former French teacher myself I did chuckle and nod in recognition at a lot of the bits with the Catherine Tate character, I always find CT very watchable. I also liked Frances de la Tour's Headteacher. I worked for a woman like that once.

David Walliams is just David Walliams though isn't he. Ok at what he does but that's all he does.

I think there is a bit of potential there but the scripts will have to liven up considerably.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaz rich wrote: »
    It was OK nothing to go mad about, only worry is we may have seen the best episode already !
    Reading this whole thread you get the impression some of the posters are somehow pleased that in their opinion the programme is awful :confused:

I had it down to record the whole series, with that cast I was expecting it to be great, I've now deleted it off the future recordings, so I'm hardly pleased. I'm also hardly pleased that my license fee is pandering to morons who think that Welsh sheep shagging jokes are the height of humour, is this the 21st century? I'm also not pleased that a Welsh actor didn't have the guts to say this really isn't funny and it's just offensive, instead going with the 'joke'.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    I had it down to record the whole series, with that cast I was expecting it to be great, I've now deleted it off the future recordings, so I'm hardly pleased. I'm also hardly pleased that my license fee is pandering to morons who think that Welsh sheep shagging jokes are the height of humour, is this the 21st century? I'm also not pleased that a Welsh actor didn't have the guts to say this really isn't funny and it's just offensive, instead going with the 'joke'.

Except, of course, the Welsh teacher is playing up the stereotype to support his desire for several months sick leave.

And the "morons" are school children in the show - it's not a documentary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    Except, of course, the Welsh teacher is playing up the stereotype to support his desire for several months sick leave.

And the "morons" are school children in the show - it's not a documentary.

It makes no difference what the plot is. The morons are the people who wrote it and the people watching who find the 'joke' funny, most people have higher standards and intelligence.
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cast will keep me watching for at least another week but I think this may suffer from having a character who should be one of the eccentric satellites orbiting a more realistic and audience identifiable lead thrust instead into that lead position.

I'd hesitate to call it a Walliams vanity project as it may well be that the beeb wouldn't have given it the green light unless they had him as the star turn but I think a more successful approach would have been to write Glenister in a more sympathetic way and made him a more believable main partner for Tate. Or at the very least Walliams should have been persuaded to tone down his character......maybe they planned this as a slow burning will they/won't they scenario but at the moment a rapid restraining order scenario seems more likely.
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't this been done before with the Grimley's?

Very similar, it even had a 70's reference (Austin Allegro)

Mr Gunn (Glennister) = Doug Digby (Brian Conelly)
    Miss Postern (Tate) = Miss Titley (Amanda Holden)

The Grimley's was also funnier.