Options

Doc Martin (Part 16 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I wonder if he uses an electric razor so he never cuts himself? They don't work so well for my dh and in W&M he used a blade. Sorry..we ARE a bunch.

I would suppose a surgeon could use a blade without causing too much damage.
    Besides, if he would cut himself, he could use the sink immediately.;)
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    I simply saw his astonishment as a sign that this thought had never occured to him, that Louisa could be a kept woman.

I find another scene in S5 far more telling regarding their ability to talk about serious topics - the brochure of the boarding school.
    I give the Doc credit that he explicitly asked for Louisa's opinion, giving her the brochure for information and then tells her he wants to have her opinion.
    Louisa immediately hits the roof and yells at him that the whole idea is outrageous.
    Admittedly, I think it is pretty outrageous to think about boarding schools for a newborn, but maybe Louisa could have studied the brochure, they could have sat down and talked about it in quiet.
    Maybe Louisa could have explained her view to him.

Like so many other incidents, if the subject had come up at a different time -- wasn't it when she was trying to get out the door for school? -- maybe the outcome would have been, if not different, at least less rancorous on Louisa's part. But she certainly might have taken a deep breath and suggested they discuss this at some other time, instead of blowing up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I don't believe the whole story is about LG changing DM to fit her needs; as we all know, that is just a bad, bad way to be focused on any relationship, with the whole goal changing the other individual so you are happy.

But maybe it's about both of them getting the drive to change themselves to make a better partner for the other one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    .Louisa-Loves to socialize
    Doc-Might if he were with people of his own ilk-professionals like other doctors, lawyers, scientists, etc.

I definetly see no indication that the Doc's dislike of sociaising is in any way connected to the lack of the right social circles in Portwenn.
    We know from Chris Parsons that he couldn't stand the sight of Martin himself at the start, and that Martin would rub people the wrong way wherever he goes.
    We know from Edith that she find it natural that she just have to follow the line of infuriated patients to find Martin.
    We see Martin's reaction at the concert when his London colleague Johnny Bamford (?) is mentioned.
    We see Martin completely uninterested in a conversation with the Oakwood, although he tells him he's a tutor at university.

So I don't think the Doc is snobbist, but rather solitary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    But maybe I have misunderstood what you were saying? Were you saying that perhaps we all know that's what he MEANT to say, but maybe there's some significance, and not in a good way, of his not being allowed to finish his sentence?

What I found significant was the title.
    We have basically the same title as in the non-wedding edpisode S3E8 "Happily Ever After". But they are not getting married, and they are not happy.
    Then we have S5E8, "Ever After". Maybe they have realised by now that they won't be living Happily Ever After, and with that huge expectation out of the way, which will never be met by any couple always - at least none that I know of, they can start living together "ever after".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What a memory Newpark! I did at one point in long-ago discussion call Martin's "I will always..." a kind of precis of the wedding vow, which asks for unconditional commitment (not commitment conditional upon happiness) and is explicit about the indeterminateness of what may come (maybe sickness, maybe health, maybe plenty, maybe want).

Sorry, I wrote my response before reading yours.

I might add that I had another scene in mind when he anticipates the wedding vow.
    In S3 when DM and LG are sitting at Bert's discussing their wedding, Louisa asks something and Martin answers "I do." and then he has some confused look on his face.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    You will never guess what my son presented me for my birthday!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100463788@N02/9539726427/

Thank you all for your birthday wishes.
    My son actually made that charm bracelet - he went to Michaels, which is a chain of craft stores around here, bought the chain bracelet and British charms; he found a picture of DM and shrunk it down to a charm size. This was his way of telling me that my daughter, son and daughter-in-law are planning on taking me on a trip to England next Spring, which will include a side trip to Port Isaac!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching "The Lady Vanishes," and it has Selina Cadell in it along with Stephanie Cole! :D
  • Options
    Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    [/QUOTE]
    marchrand wrote: »
    Thank you all for your birthday wishes.
    My son actually made that charm bracelet - he went to Michaels, which is a chain of craft stores around here, bought the chain bracelet and British charms; he found a picture of DM and shrunk it down to a charm size. This was his way of telling me that my daughter, son and daughter-in-law are planning on taking me on a trip to England next Spring, which will include a side trip to Port Isaac!!!

Marchrand: That is such a wonderful, exciting and loving present. Such very thoughtful children. You are so very lucky.
    I am so impressed and very happy for you. Wear that bracelet in good health and enjoyment. All the best.:)
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would suppose a surgeon could use a blade without causing too much damage.
    Besides, if he would cut himself, he could use the sink immediately.;)

When I originally posted this weeks ago I think I was waxing poetic on the beauty of MC's real skin. I will just entertain you with a little story. In Tucson we are housebound more or less from May to September. One must find indoor activities to keep one busy when it's 107 degrees outside. So today I invited my hub to watch "Dirty Tricks" with me as he was bored and had never seen it. After the first half hour or so he turned to me and said,"How many times have you watched this?" Fair enough...good question. I didn't give a direct answer. We watched a little more and he said,"Does
    martin Clunes always have someone who shaves his whole body? No one really has a neck and chest that are as smooth and shiny as that." I told him no and that MC was just a guy who has very little hair. I told him maybe a sprig comes out around his nipple and that he could grow whiskers and underarm hair but otherwise he was just a smooth guy. "Absolutely there is no way he doesn't have himself shaved ." I told him that MC would never be so vain as to have himself shaved .

I know this is a weird story but it seemed really weird in view of my electric razor question. The moral is: Martin Clunes is an unhairy man with beautiful skin even if the hub doesn't believe it.

How many times have I watched it? Please....,
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But maybe it's about both of them getting the drive to change themselves to make a better partner for the other one?

Hello, BodminDM.

Yes, I continued with that exact vein of thought in that same post, I believe. They both need to change, to grow, and mature themselves in regards to being a couple, and to work towards being happy themselves and striving to also consider how to enhance the happiness of their partner. Absolutely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I originally posted this weeks ago I think I was waxing poetic on the beauty of MC's real skin. I will just entertain you with a little story. In Tucson we are housebound more or less from May to September. One must find indoor activities to keep one busy when it's 107 degrees outside. So today I invited my hub to watch "Dirty Tricks" with me as he was bored and had never seen it. After the first half hour or so he turned to me and said,"How many times have you watched this?" Fair enough...good question. I didn't give a direct answer. We watched a little more and he said,"Does
    martin Clunes always have someone who shaves his whole body? No one really has a neck and chest that are as smooth and shiny as that." I told him no and that MC was just a guy who has very little hair. I told him maybe a sprig comes out around his nipple and that he could grow whiskers and underarm hair but otherwise he was just a smooth guy. "Absolutely there is no way he doesn't have himself shaved ." I told him that MC would never be so vain as to have himself shaved .

I know this is a weird story but it seemed really weird in view of my electric razor question. The moral is: Martin Clunes is an unhairy man with beautiful skin even if the hub doesn't believe it.

How many times have I watched it? Please....,

Hey, Mofromco! Some of us Arizonans are of the hardy type. I just hiked 11.7 miles in 4.5 hours in 100F heat. :) Ran across a rattling rattlesnake, and a tarantula on the trail and by mistake sat on a small cactus (which is why I always carry tweezers in my backpack....) Oh, if only DM had been there to help me, like Pauline's foot, pull out the thorns! :D:D:D

For a heat-tolerant sunlover summer up in Phoenix is my favorite season. ;)

Back on topic....LOL at your funny last line...."please"...:D!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this shot! I'm assuming it is between takes, and that it's MC drinking coffee or tea from a styrofoam cup. I'm so eager to see the expressions when they're in character in this scene!
    But why is LG so intense?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We watched a little more and he said,"Does martin Clunes always have someone who shaves his whole body? No one really has a neck and chest that are as smooth and shiny as that."

I bet there'd be a couple of volunteers on this forum:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just discovered that my dh has been watching Strike Back for ages. He loves it! His words are "it's a great, action packed show!" He doesn't remember seeing MC in it though.

Not sure if this means I am obliged to divorce him or if it bodes well for him liking MC in future when he gets to see his episode. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Hey, Mofromco! Some of us Arizonans are of the hardy type. I just hiked 11.7 miles in 4.5 hours in 100F heat. :) Ran across a rattling rattlesnake, and a tarantula on the trail and by mistake sat on a small cactus (which is why I always carry tweezers in my backpack....) Oh, if only DM had been there to help me, like Pauline's foot, pull out the thorns! :D:D:D

For a heat-tolerant sunlover summer up in Phoenix is my favorite season. ;)

Back on topic....LOL at your funny last line...."please"...:D!

Sounds a bit dangerous to me, Mona. I'm really a displaced Colorado mountain girl so hiking in the 100's doesn't appeal. Don't want the Search and Rescue to come out.

Now back to our favorite grey boxer brief hunk of a Doc.
  • Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you don't mind me popping into this thread - I just wanted to say that the Doc Martin press pack is now available to read on the ITV website.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-packs/doc-martin

I'm looking forward to its return! :)
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you don't mind me popping into this thread - I just wanted to say that the Doc Martin press pack is now available to read on the ITV website.

No more Mrs Tishell oh that sucks
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Naturally I jumped right for this, dreading what I might find -- but there is no detailed episode by episode summary -- only most of the recurring characters talking a bit about what happens to their characters in the series overall. The overall tone is somewhat reassuring, at least for this Eeyore.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here's the description of the trailer from ITV. I'm not sure about the part where they say DM proposed to LG - interesting:

"Wedding bells are ringing in Portwenn as Martin Clunes returns to Cornwall to play the nation’s favourite grumpy medic in a brand new series of Doc Martin for ITV.

Martin Clunes reprises his role as Dr. Martin Ellingham, the GP with a brusque bedside manner and a phobia of blood, in eight new episodes of the enormously successful drama produced by Buffalo Pictures and set in the idyllic hamlet of Portwenn.

All the regular members of the cast return for this popular series, filmed in the picturesque North Cornwall village of Port Isaac.

Caroline Catz plays Doc Martin’s long-suffering love interest and local school headmistress, Louisa Glasson. At the end of the last series the couple’s baby boy James was kidnapped by well-meaning but deranged pharmacist Mrs Tishell. The nightmare brought them closer together and prompted a marriage proposal from the Doc to Louisa, for a second time.

As the new series begins Portwenn is buzzing with arrangements for the wedding of the Doc and Louisa. Will they finally tie the knot, or will the villagers have to put the confetti back in the box again?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, they've got Lothian writing the season finale, again. One hopes at least he's got the mood we audience want down pat again this time, hope and love, not frustration and disappointment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No more Mrs Tishell oh that sucks

You may have misread it, chris.
    There's a new pharmacist, yes, but Mrs. T. is there too, just not at the very beginning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Naturally I jumped right for this, dreading what I might find -- but there is no detailed episode by episode summary -- only most of the recurring characters talking a bit about what happens to their characters in the series overall. The overall tone is somewhat reassuring, at least for this Eeyore.

Wow! A few things are explained here, but more mysteries have appeared.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,298
    Forum Member

Welcome to the thread :)Thanks so much for the link!

I'm so excited about the new series that I've just written my first Doc Martin fan fic in 5 years!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    But why is LG so intense?

It doesn't make sense. She's still in character and MC is not.
This discussion has been closed.