2010 Sony TV no longer able to receive 4Music

Comments

• Options
    skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    packages wrote: »
    Youview isn't Freeview HD.
    I'm unsure which part of my post this is in response to. Are you saying that to be able to receive channels currently on LCNs 225-236, your device needs to have the Freeview HD logo? If so, how is it that the Sony Bravia KDL-40EX403 for example (which does have this logo) isn't able to?

Interesting that you mention this though. I hadn't even noticed this until now, but my YouView box has no Freeview HD logo anywhere - not on the actual machine, nor on the box it came in, nor in the manual/user-guide, nor on its EPG.

But it receives Freeview channels (including HD ones), has catch-up services and PPV VOD services. So can anyone tell me what the YouView box is missing that makes it ineligible to qualify for a Freeview HD logo? (As you can probably tell, I'm no expert!)
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,593
    Forum Member
    skiller wrote: »
    I'm unsure which part of my post this is in response to. Are you saying that to be able to receive channels currently on LCNs 225-236, your device needs to have the Freeview HD logo? If so, how is it that the Sony Bravia KDL-40EX403 for example (which does have this logo) isn't able to?

Freeview HD is about Freeview, NOT about Internet services, which weren't (and still aren't!!) standardised before YouView (which was supposed to be the standard).

But it receives Freeview channels (including HD ones), has catch-up services and PPV VOD services. So can anyone tell me what the YouView box is missing that makes it ineligible to qualify for a Freeview HD logo? (As you can probably tell, I'm no expert!)

YouView is a 'super set' of Freeview HD, so presumably doesn't need the lesser logo?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YouView is a 'super set' of Freeview HD, so presumably doesn't need the lesser logo?.
    Precisely my thoughts too, hence my not looking for the Freeview HD logo when I bought it.

So why is it not capable for those channels?

And none of this explains why the Sony Bravia KDL-40EX403 won't receive them.

(This is getting off topic now, sorry.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Precisely my thoughts too, hence my not looking for the Freeview HD logo when I bought it.

So why is it not capable for those channels?

And none of this explains why the Sony Bravia KDL-40EX403 won't receive them.

What have either a YouView box, or the Sony TV got to do with receiving some obscure Internet streams? - do either of them claim to do so, and (in particular) does YouView claim to provide those channels?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What have either a YouView box, or the Sony TV got to do with receiving some obscure Internet streams? - do either of them claim to do so, and (in particular) does YouView claim to provide those channels?.
    Fair enough. packages's comment confused me somewhat, as it implied that YouView's inability to receive these channels was down to its not having the Freeview HD logo.

I'd still like to know why it doesn't have the logo though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd still like to know why it doesn't have the logo though.

Refer to post #53 :D
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the TV uses 4Music mheg to set up the connection then surely turning off mheg could fix it.

On many TVs enabling subtitles disabled mheg.
    And obviously you can disconnect from the internet if wanting to tune into that channel
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I've got this same problem, and my set is still under warranty with John Lewis. I've been watching this thread with interest.

I reported the problem to John Lewis and actually linked them to this thread. Because they could see other people were having the same problem, they arranged for a Sony approved engineer to visit.

They turned up and didn't recognise the fault, but spoke with their office and someone there believed there was a software patch available to fix it. They're coming back this afternoon... I'll update you on whether or not they're successful.

I actually watch 4Music a lot, so this is a major issue for me. The channel is being received, but the problem for me is not that I'm expecting to use internet services which haven't been standardised or are newer than my TV... it's that my TV is under warranty and watching TV and using the built in internet services from Sony have become mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    gushgush Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I've got this same problem, and my set is still under warranty with John Lewis. I've been watching this thread with interest.

I reported the problem to John Lewis and actually linked them to this thread. Because they could see other people were having the same problem, they arranged for a Sony approved engineer to visit.

They turned up and didn't recognise the fault, but spoke with their office and someone there believed there was a software patch available to fix it. They're coming back this afternoon... I'll update you on whether or not they're successful.

I actually watch 4Music a lot, so this is a major issue for me. The channel is being received, but the problem for me is not that I'm expecting to use internet services which haven't been standardised or are newer than my TV... it's that my TV is under warranty and watching TV and using the built in internet services from Sony have become mutually exclusive.

My TV is also under warranty with JL - Sony have so far not bothered to update me since June 28, when I escalated this to their CS and UK CEO.

Keen to see how you get on with JL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK, the TV repair guys have just left.

They came armed with a fault notice from Sony which seemed to outline the problem. And they also came with a USB stick containing a software patch which should fix it.

However, they then discovered that I was already running the same version of software as they had on the stick. And we also confirmed that the fault was still present.

They've now taken my TV for further investigation – expecting to get it back early next week. They suspect a hardware fault, but from this forum I obviously suspect otherwise. However, if I'm to expect any resolution through John Lewis we have to eliminate all possible causes.

Will update again next week...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL.

They turned up and did not make note the software version !
    If I was JL I would probably refuse to pay those cowboys !
    Bizarre but I guess they came to collect the TV anyway.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    LOL.

They turned up and did not make note the software version !
    If I was JL I would probably refuse to pay those cowboys !
    Bizarre but I guess they came to collect the TV anyway.

Think you misunderstood.

They turned up without visiting to take note of the software version first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Think you misunderstood.

They turned up without visiting to take note of the software version first.

Are you Paul? I can't see a non visit visit in there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ... They've now taken my TV for further investigation ...

Oh Dear !

That will be a total waste of time - it is not a hardware fault!

The Sony firmware on these early 2010 Freeview HD TVs cannot and never has coped with channels that use MHEG Interaction.

Whilst I tolerated this on these channels, ever since they appeared ...

225 VISION
    226 CCTV
    227 Sports
    228 Christian
    229 CONNECT 2
    230 VISION2
    231 Racing UK
    232 The Space
    234 CONNECT 4
    235 GOD TV
    236 SONY SAB

I can not do so for 4Music which is a more mainstream channel.

Note that next year the BBC will start to use MHEG Interaction and all these TVs will not like it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gush wrote: »
    That will be a total waste of time - it is not a hardware fault!

Yup. Couldn't agree with you more. But for the time being this seems to be an unknown/unresolved/unacknowledged fault (delete according to how cynical you feel).

My hope is to come out of this with a TV which has had its parts checked and replaced, but which still doesn't work, and therefore results in some kind of escalation to get the problem properly acknowledged/resolved.

And just to clarify...
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Think you misunderstood. They turned up without visiting to take note of the software version first.

They turned up once, spoke to someone with access to Sony support who said there was a software update to fix the problem. Didn't check what version I was running at the time. They came again to install the patch to find I was already running it – I have my TV set to auto-update though, so it's not clear if it was running that version when they were last here, or if the set has updated itself in the meantime.

Either way, it's still preventing me from watching One Direction videos – which you can take to be a pro or a con.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They turned up once, spoke to someone with access to Sony support who said there was a software update to fix the problem.

I don't know what muppet they spoke to?, presumably NOT anyone at Sony/Pacifica?, because there's not been any software release addressing any such problems.

As it's JL's warranty it's probably going to be down to them to replace the TV, if they consider it a 'fault' - but as it's working perfectly to the original specification presumably they wouldn't be obliged to?.

I wonder if the guys who came out will get paid?, JL don't have any service facilities and sub-contract - so they 'may' be only paid on results?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've finally got a reply from Channel 4 which sounds promising. I haven't checked out whether the TV now has the ability to watch 4Music yet (whilst Internet-connected) as I am not currently in the same house as the tv, but I will check tomorrow.

Dear x,

Thank you for your further email.

Please accept our apology for the delay in our response.

Following your previous email we had escalated your enquiry to our engineers who are currently working with Sony to understand what can be done to resolve the problem you are experiencing.

May we advise that a temporary fix has been applied whereby the red button service has been disabled for your particular TV model. While this means you will not be able to access our new simulcast service, you should find that your TV no longer crashes when you view 4Music while connected to the internet.

May we also advise that you can view 4Music live via the following link:

www.4music.com/watch-now

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us here at Channel 4.

Kind regards,

Oliver Cross
    Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries

I was never bothered about the Red Button service they provided, just the fact that tuning into it rebooted the TV!

So if it is doing what they've promised in the morning, I'll be somewhat pleased.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ... May we advise that a temporary fix has been applied whereby the red button service has been disabled for your particular TV model ...

No fix applied yet, here on my Sony KDL-37EX403 running FW PKG4.114EUL-0108.

At least the fault is being recognised!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gush wrote: »
    No fix applied yet, here on my Sony KDL-37EX403 running FW PKG4.114EUL-0108.

At least the fault is being recognised!
    Me neither. I have subsequently replied saying that their "supposed" fix had not effect whatsoever. Their reply is:

Dear x,

We are sorry to read of the difficulties you are continuing to experience with 4Music, we have passed the information back the team for review. Please be assured that we will be in ouch [sic] once we have some further information for you.

Regards,

Steve Reynolds

Bit peed off that it takes days for each reply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK, latest update on my TV.

There have been a number of issues with the repair company (keeping the TV for ages, problems arranging redelivery etc) but John Lewis have been absolute stars and took over liaison with the company for me as soon as I hinted there was a problem.

TV came back after they replaced the innards. Not sure how much they replaced, but when it came back it had a new fault – it wouldn't connect to the internet which meant a) services like the iPlayer wouldn't work and b) I couldn't test if the fault was fixed.

They took it away again for further testing and returned it today and, miraculously, everything works. I can watch 4Music without any problems!

What's not clear is how this has been fixed - is it what they did at the repair company (I appear to still be running the same software version), or have Channel 4 made some changes to their transmission now (I certainly don't get a red button option when watching 4Music). Anyone else noticed that the problem is fixed for them too?
  • Options
    Mick JonesMick Jones Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    The software version on my 2010 Sony TV (KDL-40EX503) has recently changed from PKG4.114EUL-0108 to PKG4.117EUL-0108. This has been automatically updated over the internet connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mick Jones wrote: »
    The software version on my 2010 Sony TV (KDL-40EX503) has recently changed from PKG4.114EUL-0108 to PKG4.117EUL-0108. This has been automatically updated over the internet connection.

Interesting - both Sony Assist (the Sony service system) and the customer website still show 114 as the latest version (20/9/2013).

But it's certainly possible that it goes live before it's released as a manual update.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting. Is your TV now able to view 4Music whilst connected to the Internet then? I can't check ours till tomorrow - I wonder if this means Channel 4 are making progress with Sony.

The other day, I chased up Channel 4 asking what progress has been made so far and this was their reply:

Dear x,

Our engineering team are working on the issues and hope to have a resolution in place by the end of August. We apologise for the inconvenience this has caused to you, but we believe these issues will not occur again once the fix is in place.

Regards,

Steve Reynolds

So, just a week or so to go then, it appears! :)

The previous so-called "fix" didn't have any effect though, so don't count your chickens...
  • Options
    Mick JonesMick Jones Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    4Music is not a channel that I generally view, I was just reading this thread due to the suggestion that the BBC may implement something similar. I've just given it a try and The Awesome Afternoon Hit List seems to be displayed without any ill effects.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, the firmware on my KDL-37EX403 has changed from PKG4.114EUL-0108 to PKG4.117EUL-0108.

But 4Music STILL makes my TV reboot - so no fix yet !