Options

Archer

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    They changed the channel to 5USA as well. I wouldn't have noticed if he wasn't for the EPG series link in our recorder.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is nuts!

They are repeating episode 1 at 2.30 am on Wednesday then repeat episode 8 and first run for 2 at 2.00am and 2.30am. As a repeat fine (I suppose) but this is stupid. Plus due to a weird quirk of my DTR it only ever shows 5 USA content to 1 am then shows the guide as closed or teleshopping have no idea why so I've set up the manual record feature which I hope works.

I know Archer is a bit near the knuckle but what the hell are Channel 5 upto!

I emailed them to complain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I can see Channel 5 dropping it soon if they carry on like this and Archer becoming a DVD/Netflix exclusive.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like Channel 5 are giving Archer the same treatment they gave Californication… I still can’t believe no UK broadcaster has picked up. Season 5 premiers on DVD in the UK next month.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Sounds like Channel 5 are giving Archer the same treatment they gave Californication… I still can’t believe no UK broadcaster has picked up. Season 5 premiers on DVD in the UK next month.

Shocking isn't it.
    Why pay for content you evidently don't want.
    And if you do have it, give it the treatment it deserves, not banish it to a graveyard slot, screen it out of sync and then moan its not getting the number... Channel 5 piss me off
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I can't believe they ****ed it up again. they did the exact same thing with season 3.

I've actually email a complaint. i cont believe i'm that motivated.

They keep showing them in production order rather than broadcast order, which obviously messes up the ongoing storylines. I had to just wait 'til the end with the last season and watch it all in one go.

Given this new timeslot, I don't imagine we'll be seeing new Archer on 5* or 5USA much longer.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone ever seen Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law, it used to be shown on Bravo late night in their adult swim block? I imagine Archer is in a similar vein, and Harvey Birdman is downright hilarious at times. I would advise anyone to likes Archer to check it out if they haven't already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect that everyone already knows this but Channel 5 claim that Archer got very low viewing figures so they bumped it 5USA at 2 am (or there abouts)!

They show two episodes, not even in the correct order, with as far as I can tell very little advertings and are surprised no one watched it!

I think they have been living the Archer life way too much and need to cut back on the booze, drugs and meaningly sex with strangers!

Come on the show is adult in theme and rather near the knuckle which we all know, so why in the heck pay to show it if the company is just going to put it in a late night slot no one knows about.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't seem to be scheduled at all for next week.
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Has anyone ever seen Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law, it used to be shown on Bravo late night in their adult swim block? I imagine Archer is in a similar vein, and Harvey Birdman is downright hilarious at times. I would advise anyone to likes Archer to check it out if they haven't already.

I got the DVD's of Harvey Birdman - love it still

I'll shrink you!! BACK UP!! - reducto (I hope I spelt his name right)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to be scheduled at all for next week.

So basically buy a show that no one can really see and then never to see the light of day - Channel 5 use to advertise Archer (well on 5*) so why the heck are they not doing it beats me, but again Big Brother seems to be more important than Archer :eek: - pretty much sums up what is wrong with some of these networks - reality dross gets more priority than a half decent drama/animation and they wonder why they are not getting the "viewing" figures - if reality is all these channels are going for eventually in time the plan will backfire and viewers will desert them (sorry bit of a rant but I do wonder what is going on with most of the "new" shows either been thrown in the deep end - graveyard shift or can't be bothered), maybe in time FOX UK may pick up the rights to it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kezo wrote: »
    So basically buy a show that no one can really see and then never to see the light of day - Channel 5 use to advertise Archer (well on 5*) so why the heck are they not doing it beats me, but again Big Brother seems to be more important than Archer :eek: - pretty much sums up what is wrong with some of these networks - reality dross gets more priority than a half decent drama/animation and they wonder why they are not getting the "viewing" figures - if reality is all these channels are going for eventually in time the plan will backfire and viewers will desert them (sorry bit of a rant but I do wonder what is going on with most of the "new" shows either been thrown in the deep end - graveyard shift or can't be bothered), maybe in time FOX UK may pick up the rights to it

I agree. What's the point of them buying these shows if they're going to relegate them to slots in the dead of night? They dropped Californication as well. I think that's on Netflix now, and as I posted earlier, I can see Archer becoming Netflix only in the UK, or possibly on FOX, like you mentioned.

On the whole, though, 5* (what a ridiculous name for a TV channel) don't seem to treat imports well, unless it's Neighbours or Home and Away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. What's the point of them buying these shows if they're going to relegate them to slots in the dead of night? They dropped Californication as well. I think that's on Netflix now, and as I posted earlier, I can see Archer becoming Netflix only in the UK, or possibly on FOX, like you mentioned.

On the whole, though, 5* (what a ridiculous name for a TV channel) don't seem to treat imports well, unless it's Neighbours or Home and Away.

Oh you can bet (highlighted) they get treated well better, I personally didn't know it had returned but I wondered what had happened to it but I see whats happened Channel 5 should be ashamed of themselves - I will credit them for at least introducing the UK to Archer but sometimes it looks more reality dross wins more than a US import shockingly

Here is a hint to channel 5 and other networks if your planning on showing US imports like Archer or The Walking Dead (never seen this being honest) maybe schedule it for 9pm? Then you will get some decent figures - I believe Channel 5 done this too with Grey's Anatomy and that has well fell off a cliff :eek:
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IThey dropped Californication as well. I think that's on Netflix now...

Only the seasons that have aired on 5* (seasons 1 to 4), but season 5 is being released, as a UK premier, on R2 DVD in September.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kezo wrote: »
    Here is a hint to channel 5 and other networks if your planning on showing US imports like Archer or The Walking Dead (never seen this being honest) maybe schedule it for 9pm? Then you will get some decent figures - I believe Channel 5 done this too with Grey's Anatomy and that has well fell off a cliff :eek:

I seem to recall Channel 5 scheduling that (highlighted) on Sunday mornings after Milkshake in the end, before they dropped it completely (I think, anyway). As you and everyone else have pointed out, they only seem to be interested if it rates well from the off.
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Only the seasons that have aired on 5* (seasons 1 to 4), but season 5 is being released, as a UK premier, on R2 DVD in September.

I wasn't sure myself on whether new episodes premiered on Netflix now myself, to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if season 5 comes onto Netflix eventually, though.

I remember when they had Breaking Bad, and they decided to show season 2 nightly in the graveyard slot over Christmas one year on 5USA. At least they're on DVD and Netflix now. Not to sound like a shill for Netflix or anything, but I really like how they've picked up all these series that other channels have been dropped, like the aforementioned Breaking Bad and The Killing (US version).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to recall Channel 5 scheduling that (highlighted) on Sunday mornings after Milkshake in the end, before they dropped it completely (I think, anyway). As you and everyone else have pointed out, they only seem to be interested if it rates well from the off.

But why treat some shows like crap and others as favourites? I am pretty sure if Archer had been on channel 5 itself it may have been a hit if ran as a double bill similar to BBC3 with Family Guy/American Dad (I can be wrong) but to really do this is just shameless really, its like as if most networks want the viewers if they "like" something and they "drop it" it'll be available on DVD or the like of Netflix - so are they themselves beating themselves up for competition?

I don't think the "viewer" is most thought of here, its probably down to the advertising/income they need that talks more than the programme(s) themselves but reality dross wins - am I missing something here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Archer, one of the few really good adult animations, is stuffed thanks to Channel5 being run by twits!

Maybe Viva should buy it and stick it on, Archer would fit in well with Crash Canyon and Brickleberry.

It's just a sod for those of us who don't have IPTV etc. and why waste good money buying the rights if you are not going to give the show a fair shake or for that matter advertise it's coming back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind either BBC Three of FoxUK picking Archer up.
    Both treat their animation-content well and they give it the time to develop. You only need to see the numbers Family Guy gets on BBC Three to see the truth.
    Channel 5 Have zero excuse and if they run the 'Not got enough viewers' excuse, well they themselves are to blame for not advertising it and not giving it a decent time slot!

(Its nice to be back BTW!!!!!!)
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC 3 getting Archer is a good shout. I doubt that the whole Family Guy demographic will enjoy it but enough should.

I can see it being another one of those US shows that gets missed in the UK during the bulk of it's initial broadcast but then gets popular.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is Archer even on this week ?

or next ?

this is nuts , they obviously want it to fail .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is Archer even on this week ?

or next ?

this is nuts , they obviously want it to fail .

Hate to be a bearer of bad news - I looked here http://www.channel5.com/shows/archer - look at when next on TV - it says "Sorry Archer isn't currently scheduled for our channels" - so in other words move it about, move it to 5USA and its now gone quiet .... so I guess the next episode(s) are left up in the air :eek::rolleyes: ... great one Channel 5!

Why make a programme they introduce to the UK fail is what I don't understand .... So I'll take it reality solves all problems in this world, its sad and I couldn't care less if it brings in viewers - TV Channels need to invest more in programming than the cack of that thing called "reality", but hey the bubble will eventually burst and they'll wonder where viewers are going - they are bringing it on themselves
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but they've already paid for this season .

?? what in hell is going on ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    but they've already paid for this season .

?? what in hell is going on ?

Exactly! Why pay for the rights and then just not bother to air them?!
    But this is Channel 5 we're talking about, that channel owned by the guy that claimed he would bring X Factor and Corrie over. . . . .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Exactly! Why pay for the rights and then just not bother to air them?!
    But this is Channel 5 we're talking about, that channel owned by the guy that claimed he would bring X Factor and Corrie over. . . . .

I guess they'll waste the rights and then we will see it eventually move to either Fox UK or hopefully E4 or BBC 3 may pick it up? (E4 would be another good bet as I believe Fox are no longer making anymore Cleveland Show(?) so it can be an opportunity to either BBC 3 or E4 to grab all rights and show it all from beginning and up to now) - I am only guessing but if channel 5 don't get their fingers out and do something with this show then it'll be another channel's gain
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this show! I recorded the first two series on to DVD, and now I am sat here watching the series three DVD!

It is great! :D