Options

Music channels

Comments

• Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The MTV channels are best when they're not showing themed countdowns. Next Monday (Bank Holiday) MTV Classic and Rocks have no charts or themes, just a standard playlist all day.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder do the top 40 countdown shows get better ratings than when they just play current videos? I find that I switch over from the top 40 shows because I would rather watch brand new pre-releases, and you know if one channel is on number 32 you're not going to see any new videos for a few hours!
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The MTV channels are best when they're not showing themed countdowns. Next Monday (Bank Holiday) MTV Classic and Rocks have no charts or themes, just a standard playlist all day.

Yeah and I can see it'll be the same "themed" stuff over on MTV Dance Base Music VH1 Live and Hits - maybe all their stations need to go back to a "standard" playlist and make it all week than have the repeated guff on non stop
  • Options
    Neil_NortonNeil_Norton Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    kezo wrote: »
    Possibly the viewers will be told "skip that" or "we don't like it .. not our thing" :eek::rolleyes:

Beyonce would def be played no doubt on that, but I do not agree with this "favouritism" with these channels - rather than act like a bunch of kids fighting over a nintendo game - grow up and get real and get real with all things music, none of this cack filling the air and the sh.t reality programming...

Agreed. 97% of the singles chart is not my taste but I know people out there like this guff.

Its all who is media friendly and who generates gossip headlines. Sadly today popstars are performers third, and celebs and adverts first and second.

Beyonce is all fur coat no knickers....1D are sadly the brainchild of a mogul who has DESTROYED the music industry....to the 4music programmers this is good. I have strayed away from mainstream very slowly and moving to unknown acts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. 97% of the singles chart is not my taste but I know people out there like this guff.

Its all who is media friendly and who generates gossip headlines. Sadly today popstars are performers third, and celebs and adverts first and second.

Beyonce is all fur coat no knickers....1D are sadly the brainchild of a mogul who has DESTROYED the music industry....to the 4music programmers this is good. I have strayed away from mainstream very slowly and moving to unknown acts.

Being honest I still like some of the "mainstream" stuff but speaking on the "dance" side of it - comes more across as noise than anything else! Rnb and rap have sadly fell into this pit and they need a kick up the ass and get back to where it was before - Simon does have alot to answer for but then MTV has alot to answer for the way they have went too!

As for the chart I don't listen to it but when you see it shoved down your throat on The Box or MTV Hits/VH1 you know its in dire straits - where is the "fun" in music and charts? Now it feels like all music is "serious" but yet if any of these "channels" look back at the 90's and decades before its slated as being "cheesy" or "disaster" ... really? You call that music back then that bad? Sorry but most music of today is alot worse than it was back then, maybe its time all people in "music" got a wake up call and looked back and reconsider their own "judgements" on acts of the past as all I can see is more music from the past is remembered than present sadly!

Music of today has no long life shelf life, its short and is quickly forgotten what does that exactly say? If we also speak about programming also these shows will also be quickly forgotten and be more looked as more of "what the hell were we thinking?" moment. So really its all going to be a pie in the face for stuff of now anyway but they are all paying a price for it if not now it will be in the future
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How has Simon Cowell destroyed the music industry? There were boybands before One Direction.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now we have another awful X Factor coming soon, The channels such as 4rubbishmusic will be full of X Factor rubbish. BBC 6 Music and other radio stations puts these channels to shame :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    How has Simon Cowell destroyed the music industry? There were boybands before One Direction.

I think what is being said ie #1's - before Simon and co took over the charts would have interesting songs but now its ran by them expect #1's all the time (be related to him in some way ie appear on X Factor....)

I was into them in the 90's but I believe acts like Five, Westlife (ok this one part Louis Walsh) were under his control - it does come across to a degree if you can be associated with Simon or someone else higher in the music world "your in" but if your not recognised (as such) your out...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now we have another awful X Factor coming soon, The channels such as 4rubbishmusic will be full of X Factor rubbish. BBC 6 Music and other radio stations puts these channels to shame :(

Being honest I rather at times listen to radio but avoid on the modern day cack whenever possible - I like my music of the past more than I do of the present
  • Options
    unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clubland has finally had a new look today.

I have to say it looks quite cool and they've finally got rid of that horrid squashed logo and changed the look of the selection thing that was in the middle of the screen.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... and replaced the "now playing" info box with one that covers 1/4 of the screen and another box which covers just under 1/4 of the screen with the programme name after the breaks!
    http://kjs1982.me.uk/3rdparty/digitalspy/clubland.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The selection graphic is actually too small but MattAATW on Twitter said it will be sorted next week. You can't see the numbers at the moment.
  • Options
    Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unknown17 wrote: »
    The selection graphic is actually too small but MattAATW on Twitter said it will be sorted next week. You can't see the numbers at the moment.

Thank goodness for that - I can't see it at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    4Music has X Factor Top 30 Warm Up next week. Please. I wonder how much say Cowell has in these channels? I was never a fan of it but what was the really last straw for me was the finalists meeting David Cameron.

How can someone who has taken money, jobs and food off the viewers of the show get to meet the finalists? It should be boycotted because of that. I dont remember in the early years the finalists meeting Tony Blair or Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4Music has X Factor Top 30 Warm Up next week. Please. I wonder how much say Cowell has in these channels? I was never a fan of it but what was the really last straw for me was the finalists meeting David Cameron.

How can someone who has taken money, jobs and food off the viewers of the show get to meet the finalists? It should be boycotted because of that. I dont remember in the early years the finalists meeting Tony Blair or Gordon Brown.

I'd hate to see your reaction if you saw that Chart Show TV was showing The XFactor 100 the other day.

X Factor is one of the most popular shows on TV so music channels are bound have special shows dedicated to X Factor stars.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clubland looks much better now. The videos segue together too, like on Capital and Heart. Some of the bigger channels should really bring their presentation up to this standard, especially MTV which we still have to pay for!
  • Options
    tom e1649tom e1649 Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clubland looks much better now. The videos segue together too, like on Capital and Heart. Some of the bigger channels should really bring their presentation up to this standard, especially MTV which we still have to pay for!

It's the content of their channels that MTV really need to look at! You can have as swish presentation as you like but if your content isn't up to scratch what's the point?

I personally prefer the videos fading to black. The slight cross-fade that MTV Dance used to have wasn't too noticeable though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The X Factor warm ups usually just feature current tunes, X Factor or not and just use X Factor to draw people in. A bit like Eurovision warm up that had no Eurovision acts at all - past or present.

I hate the way they abruptly start/stop videos. I hope this isn't permanent and they sort out the size of the graphics soon.

MTV are stuck up their own behinds and don't actually realise how they have fallen behind other channels. The fact we pay for MTV makes it worse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    I see that apart from 4Music and The Box, the Bauer TV channels are going 150 mad on their countdowns later today:
    Magic: 150 greatest 90s songs Ever!
    Smash Hits: 150 greatest 21st Century Songs!
    Heat: 150 greatest Pop Hits ever!
    Kiss: The 150 greatest r 'n' B & Dance anthems ever!
    Kerrang: The 150 greatest Rock Anthems ever

Same old songs then....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that apart from 4Music and The Box, the Bauer TV channels are going 150 mad on their countdowns later today:
    Magic: 150 greatest 90s songs Ever!
    Smash Hits: 150 greatest 21st Century Songs!
    Heat: 150 greatest Pop Hits ever!
    Kiss: The 150 greatest r 'n' B & Dance anthems ever!
    Kerrang: The 150 greatest Rock Anthems ever

Same old songs then....

Is there some sort of event relating to the number 150 coming up or is it just an excuse to put the same videos in to yet another countdown?
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    tom e1649 wrote: »
    It's the content of their channels that MTV really need to look at! You can have as swish presentation as you like but if your content isn't up to scratch what's the point?

I personally prefer the videos fading to black. The slight cross-fade that MTV Dance used to have wasn't too noticeable though.

Wonder why they got rid of the cross-fade?
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unknown17 wrote: »
    Is there some sort of event relating to the number 150 coming up or is it just an excuse to put the same videos in to yet another countdown?

It's a bank holiday Monday - most radio stations do some random countdown which effectively results in there playlist being the listeners favourites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed the top 150's - it's the same songs just in a bigger chart with a few more from the same artists in there.

Bank Holiday, less programming to do as most of them will have the day off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've noticed the top 150's - it's the same songs just in a bigger chart with a few more from the same artists in there.

Bank Holiday, less programming to do as most of them will have the day off.

Isnt every day a day off from Bauer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isnt every day a day off from Bauer?

Fair point!