Options

Is There Anything That ISN'T Offensive?

DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 68,491
Forum Member
✭✭
Is there anything left that isn't deemed offensive in this world any more?

It's getting ridiculous that no-one can so much as breathe any more without being jumped on or given a "warning" about offensive language !!

Is it just me who thinks the world's gone altogether mad?

Comments

• Options
    ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree
  • Options
    Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What absolute guff. Every time someone gets pulled up for racism, islamaphobia, etc, that persons defence is always 'oh you can't say anything these days!'

No, you just can't say anything racist, sexist or homophobic these days. And thank god for that.

Just stop bring racist, okay? It's not that hard!
  • Options
    daddy66daddy66 Posts: 12,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kitten's.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Iggy's Boy wrote: »
    What absolute guff. Every time someone gets pulled up for racism, islamaphobia, etc, that persons defence is always 'oh you can't say anything these days!'

No, you just can't say anything racist, sexist or homophobic these days. And thank god for that.

I 100% agree I would sooner live in a "Overly PC" world than one where you can get away with saying stuff like that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What's been said, which is that bad?
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's getting ridiculous that no-one can so much as breathe any more without being jumped on or given a "warning" about offensive language !!

Yes. Anything that's not derogatory to people of different race, religion, gender, sexuality or ability.

That leaves pretty much everything you'll ever need to say to anyone about anything at all.

Is that enough?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Assuming this is what you're talking about, the producers have to try and keep as many viewers as they can watching (obviously), otherwise they'll just switch off. Ron was badly generalising about muslim women being terrorists though. He seems to have some bad views about some people though. I'm guessing these kind of views would be the kind of things that he'd joke about with his friends and what not. He did say that he was trying to keep a lid on things in there. Maybe this is what he meant by that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daddy66 wrote: »
    Kitten's.

I don't know about that. One of my neighbours is such a miserable git, even when I'm in my OWN garden talking to MY cats, he stands behind the fence huffing and puffing under his breath. Seems he takes great offense to it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daddy66 wrote: »
    Kittens.

Puppies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Ron need's to realise these jokes need to be left at home and at the pub with his friends
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He indicated that all muslim women are terrorists. I'm assuming all/a lot of muslim women wear a headscarf.
  • Options
    Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where you not watching the programme? Ron looked at someone with a jumper over their head and, implying she was wearing a headscarf, said 'have you got a bomb under there?'

The inference was that this woman looked like a Muslim and therefore was a terrorist. Implying Muslims are terrorists is an offensive thing to say. Do you understand that?
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pepsi Cola wrote: »
    Ron need's to realise these jokes need to be left at home and at the pub with his friends

Political connotations aside, Ron needs to get some better jokes.
  • Options
    daddy66daddy66 Posts: 12,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Puppies.

Meow...:)
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every horrible utterance that comes out of Charlotte's mouth? Highly offensive.If our children behaved like that what would we do?She is, alarmingly, 23!
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    I 100% agree I would sooner live in a "Overly PC" world than one where you can get away with saying stuff like that
    if you do not like say your polish neighbours. you can not say anything as it would make you a racist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where you not watching the programme? Ron looked at someone with a jumper over their head and, implying she was wearing a headscarf, said 'have you got a bomb under there?'

The inference was that this woman looked like a Muslim and therefore was a terrorist. Implying Muslims are terrorists is an offensive thing to say. Do you understand that?

Some are trying to argue it was because she was Irish well if it was then he still deserved a warning as that would be just as offensive.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I couldn't believe what he was inferring! Is he just plain thick!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    He indicated that all muslim women are terrorists. I'm assuming all/a lot of muslim women wear a headscarf.

I did watch it yes, thank you for asking Iggy.
    I don't think he did indicate that ALL muslim women are terrorists. He made a tongue in cheek joke. Right or wrong .... well that's up to the individuals among us. I'm not questioning that.

My thread isn't referring to anything specific ..... just the world in general where it seems everything is deemed offensive these days, over the top reactions.

And as for Carol's "warning" she was only repeating to Louie what Ron had said 10 years ago to get him kicked off telly and leperized (again, not bringing his incident in to question). She wasn't actually causing offense to anyone by doing so. Imo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    if you do not like say your polish neighbours. you can not say anything as it would make you a racist.

If you didn't like them because they were Polish then it would be and you shouldn't say it

In fact if you have bad neighbours then why bring up where they are from or what religion they are as that as nothing to do with it unless you are racist and just say why you don't like them
  • Options
    theiatheia Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. What began as a much needed change in attitude has taken on a life of its own and could well lead to real life Big Brother :eek:

Forgot to say, in MY opinion :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theia wrote: »
    I agree. What began as a much needed change in attitude has taken on a life of its own and could well lead to real life Big Brother :eek:

Forgot to say, in MY opinion :o

Seems to be where we are heading. Where do you draw the line? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did watch it yes, thank you for asking Iggy.
    I don't think he did indicate that ALL muslim women are terrorists. He made a tongue in cheek joke. Right or wrong .... well that's up to the individuals among us. I'm not questioning that.

My thread isn't referring to anything specific ..... just the world in general where it seems everything is deemed offensive these days, over the top reactions.

And as for Carol's "warning" she was only repeating to Louie what Ron had said 10 years ago to get him kicked off telly and leperized (again, not bringing his incident in to question). She wasn't actually causing offense to anyone by doing so. Imo

Carol could easily have said "Ron said the 'N' word, which then got him the sack". Saying the full word was obviously going to get her a warning. Black people are still going to find it offensive, even if she just repeated what Ron said. Saying this though, they blocked it out on the highlights show, so I don't know what they were talking about when they indicated that it was heard by viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Carol could easily have said "Ron said the 'N' word, which then got him the sack". Saying the full word was obviously going to get her a warning. Black people are still going to find it offensive, even if she just repeated what Ron said. Saying this though, they blocked it out on the highlights show, so I don't know what they were talking about when they indicated that it was heard by viewers.

But is it the majority of black people who find it offensive? Serious question!
    In my own experience, and I'm afraid that's all I can speak from, it seems to be white people who more often than not get all PC and offended by these things, in general.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,868
    Forum Member
    JonDoe wrote: »
    Political connotations aside, Ron needs to get some better jokes.

Well here I agree with you. It was hardly a candidate for a Perrier award.