Options

What Remains - New BBC drama

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
Forum Member
Brand new mystery thriller jumping on the success of Broadchurch, starring David Threlfall.

It starts on Sunday 25th August on BBC1 at 9pm, and will be a 4 part series.

Here's the trailer:

http://blogbypaul.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/ask-frank-what-remains/

Comments

• Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May be worth a try.

The fact that they've put it on BBC4 it may indicate that it has adopted a rather more thoughtful and intelligent approach than that used for the more mass appeal channels.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »
    May be worth a try.

The fact that they've put it on BBC4 it may indicate that it has adopted a rather more thoughtful and intelligent approach than that used for the more mass appeal channels.
    It's on BBC one ......
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »
    May be worth a try.

Don't beat about the bush, if you mean it ain't for some of the dummies who watch BBC1 dramas, just say so.

Thanks for the heads up, I look forward to it.

Edit.

If it's on BBC 1, I'll give it a miss!
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks really good to me! Looking forward to getting into another BBC drama :)
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to use the search function to find this thread. Looks promising, but it would appear that the rest of the DS posters would rather get excited about watching programmes involving nobodies baking cakes.....Why? I just don't get it
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Had to use the search function to find this thread. Looks promising, but it would appear that the rest of the DS posters would rather get excited about watching programmes involving nobodies baking cakes.....Why? I just don't get it
    Maybe because the programmes in question cater for two different audiences,

Maybe because they prefer to watch Great British Bake Off perhaps (which has its merits, as I watch it and I will be watching this drama). That's the beauty of choice and preference.And a good job that both programmes are being shown. :)
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    It's on BBC1, says so in the OP, all these 'smarter than average' FM's who can't read a 4 or 5 line OP.

Anyway BBC1 program link.
    Had the page sitting open for a few days so I didn't forget it.
    When Michael and his heavily pregnant partner Vidya move into a flat in Coulthard Street, they are shocked to discover the decomposed body of a woman in the loft.

With a week left until retirement, Detective Len Harper begins to question her neighbours. He discovers that even though she had not been seen for over two years, nobody had raised an alarm or even noticed that she was gone.

Len must work hard to uncover the secrets of the residents and give the deceased the attention in death she so sorely missed in life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nobody remembered to bump the thread?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why some tramp is leading the investigation. If he knocked on my door I'd assume he'd found his ID on the street or in some bushes. "Go away or I'll call the police," I'd tell him.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching now, at least it hasn't any bizarre Geordie accents in it.

There seems to be people announcing what they are doing when Frank Gallagher knocks on doors though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Not sure why some tramp is leading the investigation. If he knocked on my door I'd assume he'd found his ID on the street or in some bushes. "Go away or I'll call the police," I'd tell him.

He does look like a tramp. I'd close the door on him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He does look like a tramp. I'd close the door on him

Seems he is a wee bit typecast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Seems he is a wee bit typecast.

Maybe there is only so much that makeup can do with those wrinkles under the eyes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way the detectives are speaking to him it seems he is an annoying janitor or maybe a cleaner who is due to retire. "Go out and get us some doughnuts."

Seems a bit of a cynical way to denote that he is a "maverick", though. Make him almost as scfruffy as the character he is best known for portraying. Or maybe David Threlfall is just a scruffy sod.

Ooh, a surprise party.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an inappropriate place for a young couple expecting a baby to live in.

Why did that woman flush the fish down the toilet? That was horrible!:(

No idea at present who killed Melissa.:confused:
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    I found it a bit slow and I'm not sure if I'll be bothered to watch any more of it. What I do know for sure is that there would be no way that I'd buy a flat in that building, it was horrible. Rent? Perhaps, if I was desperate, but buy? Not a chance.

I agree with those who found the detective to be scruffy and unconvincing. For me, I need a character that I can feel some emotion for and not one filled that requirement. I had great expectations but ended up with great disappointment.

Is it next week that Doc Martin returns? If it is, What Remains will remain unwatched.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it and almost gave up half way through, but stuck with it to the end. It could be just a slow starter but I think a different actor playing the detective would have been better. I'm a bit curious to find out what the old ex teacher in the garden flat has for a back story.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Threlfall looked a scruff in Shameless but even so looked better than he does in this.Very odd appearance.
    Russell Tovey however looks a real butch hunk.Grrr
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - not going to bother next week, found it rather boring.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I'd stick with this over 4 weeks. 90 minutes maybe but 4 episodes stretched over a month? That said I got through this first hour while eating dinner and working on my iPhone.

You either have to care about the victim. care about the detective or be intrigued by the plotline. I wasn't taken much by any of them. It looked liked they'd watched the Swedish Wallander, The Killing and a few recent successful ITV dramas, absorbed every cliché, mixed them up together then put it to a BBC committee. God, it's all so predictable.

The main character looked like a tramp to the extent he couldn't have worked for the police. The dialogue was plonky and as usual just about everybody was hostile to the police for no reason. It turned out some people were connected from before by startling coincidences. And in a plot hole nobody had noticed this woman had gone missing but actually they all spoke to each other every time they were on the stairs, I didn't find that convincing. London basement flats are always entered by a separate door and not through the main front door.

Also there really is nothing to suggest this woman was murdered and the police really would not bother in real life. She went into the loft, had a heart attack because she was unused to exercise and got left there. That really is what the police would think.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    De facto main thread is here.

Just suggesting it might be best to keep all the comments in a single thread.
  • Options
    kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    Also there really is nothing to suggest this woman was murdered and the police really would not bother in real life. She went into the loft, had a heart attack because she was unused to exercise and got left there. That really is what the police would think.

After which she pulled up the ladder and fastened the hatch shut, Hmmmmm......... :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kernow19 wrote: »
    After which she pulled up the ladder and fastened the hatch shut, Hmmmmm......... :confused:

Covered by the female detective in the program.
    Someone shouts up, gets no answer or takes a quick look, she's obscured by the roof beams and they close the loft ladder, the end.

You can pull some loft ladders up behind you, obviously unlikely she'd do that, but they don't know what she was doing up there.
  • Options
    Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    I loved this.... it was compelling viewing....

every one of these neighbours have their own secrets, to hide, behind these little closed doors.... I love the pregnant couple,.. and the seedy, vile little man with the garden, who clearly never uses it... what is going on in THAT flat.. hahaha and the only person to show any grief, for the loss of Mel, was the bloke in Canada... so sad...

I will definately be tuning in for next weeks installment......

p.s. Loved the Copper... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    De facto main thread is here.

Just suggesting it might be best to keep all the comments in a single thread.

See the above.