Options

Ron

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same age as you 34 and my Great Gran was 40+years older than Ron and my Grandparents 20+ years older than him

There you have it James , you are 34 ,trying to make out that you are so wise , live 30 years longer in your life , then see how the world changing has affected you.
    Every person has a different upbringing , different experience of life , we are all not the same as you.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 68,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather insulting to see patronise him being "old", as if it's some get out clause.

I don't think anyone is trying to use it as a get out clause .... merely a possible explanation. Not everything in life is so one sided and ... err .... black and white
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same age as you 34 and my Great Gran was 40+years older than Ron and my Grandparents 20+ years older than him

I am surprised you say you knew the 'marmalade toy' was racist, the outrage about them didn't really begin until the mid-late 80's. I became aware of why it was racist as I got older but certainly not when I was playing with it and it was my toy. I remember trying to hide it when my mum wanted to take it off me...
  • Options
    boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 68 and yes it was different when I was younger,and words were bandied about almost nilly willy.The values stick when you have been brought up from them days and tbh some,no I'de say a lot, of these so called taboos seem farcical nowadays.Praps if a lot of things were taken in a more light hearted manner things would be better all round.It seems we British,known for our sense of humour must change.....Is that good or bad?.............:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boyzie wrote: »
    I'm 68 and yes it was different when I was younger,and words were bandied about almost nilly willy.The values stick when you have been brought up from them days and tbh some,no I'de say a lot, of these so called taboos seem farcical nowadays.Praps if a lot of things were taken in a more light hearted manner things would be better all round.It seems we British,known for our sense of humour must change.....Is that good or bad?.............:)

That's it , life was different before , looks like our sense of humour is to be a deleted from our lives,along with our live and let live attitude.
    People seem too uptight and indignant nowadays about any little thing,
  • Options
    Markyboy79Markyboy79 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    To be fair, Im 34 and only just found out the other day you cant say half-cast. If Im struggling to keep up with PC, then I think its perfectly acceptable to allow a 73 year old to be confused with what you can and cant say these days!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markyboy79 wrote: »
    To be fair, Im 34 and only just found out the other day you cant say half-cast. If Im struggling to keep up with PC, then I think its perfectly acceptable to allow a 73 year old to be confused with what you can and cant say these days!

The voice of reason , at last.
    Didn't know you couldn't say halfcast..
    I don't understand why any truth has to be fudged over and not said , it's ridiculous.We can't say the truth anymore.
  • Options
    Don_RecardoDon_Recardo Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather insulting to see patronise him being "old", as if it's some get out clause.

its not a get out clause , but if you are brought up to one set of rules and then the rules change , its sometimes hard to change your ways , ( old dog new tricks ?) . Its like being right handed for most of your life and then being told its no longer acceptable and you must become left handed . You might try hard , you might make a good job of it . but its those odd moments when your not thinking you revert to old ways before you know you have done it

I was bought up in the days when the best marmalade had a gollywog on the front . When the childrens book " Noddy" had gollywogs in it . Our school uniform included a jumper which had to be ****** brown , which back then was accepted as the name of a colour ,. When we would watch tellyvision programs like alf garnet and love thy neighbour which were put out as comedy programs . and on a Sunday as a treat for everyone was the black and white minstrels ( who were all white but wore black makeup) and the show was considered so good it was watched by people all over the world .
    When I was in senior school there was only one child out of a total of 800 that was not white , and I cant think of a single black person that at that time lived on the same housing estate as me . Things really were that different in our day
    When you are bought up in a society like this then its hard not to slip up sometimes and forget that talking in a way that was acceptable in the old days is no longer acceptable .
    So I am sorry but , age does play a big part in it and I can see how Ron might slip up
  • Options
    HIGHERSTATEHIGHERSTATE Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found out about 3 years ago you cant say half-cast..I was working for the council at the time and it was a tad embarrassing..

I thought, who am I offending? I was told I had to say duel-heritage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its not a get out clause , but if you are brought up to one set of rules and then the rules change , its sometimes hard to change your ways , ( old dog new tricks ?) . Its like being right handed for most of your life and then being told its no longer acceptable and you must become left handed . You might try hard , you might make a good job of it . but its those odd moments when your not thinking you revert to old ways before you know you have done it

I was bought up in the days when the best marmalade had a gollywog on the front . When the childrens book " Noddy" had gollywogs in it . Our school uniform included a jumper which had to be ****** brown , which back then was accepted as the name of a colour ,. When we would watch tellyvision programs like alf garnet and love thy neighbour which were put out as comedy programs . and on a Sunday as a treat for everyone was the black and white minstrels ( who were all white but wore black makeup) and the show was considered so good it was watched by people all over the world .
    When I was in senior school there was only one child out of a total of 800 that was not white , and I cant think of a single black person that at that time lived on the same housing estate as me . Things really were that different in our day
    When you are bought up in a society like this then its hard not to slip up sometimes and forget that talking in a way that was acceptable in the old days is no longer acceptable .
    So I am sorry but , age does play a big part in it and I can see how Ron might slip up

I agree with you ,its difficult to remember what you can and can't say when you have spent decades using these words .Some people don't get that the world has moved on too fast for some people and it will take time to catch up.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bambii wrote: »
    I am catching up on Sundays ep at the moment, and saw the bomb comment.

I look at him and see and old granddad that's old fashioned politically incorrect like my grampa was. He's not a nasty man, but he doesn't seem to have caught up with modern society and how 'politically correct' we are!

I feel sorry for him.

a lot of older people can't understand the modern 'rules' of p.c. etc. they think that swearing and talking about private matters is far worse than a joke about 'foreigners' etc.
  • Options
    erasmus01erasmus01 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Seems to me like some people on here hate the world and everybody in it, all this pc garbage that is constantly spewed out, why don't some people ever realise that we all can't be classed as racist for every single word we type?
    Who deemed all these words racist in the first place? I can't remember anybody actually asking for my opinion.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    erasmus01 wrote: »
    Seems to me like some people on here hate the world and everybody in it, all this pc garbage that is constantly spewed out, why don't some people ever realise that we all can't be classed as racist for every single word we type?
    Who deemed all these words racist in the first place? I can't remember anybody actually asking for my opinion.

People who they were used against

Who are you to say that someone can not be offended by what is said to them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    People who they were used against Who are you to say that someone can not be offended by what is said to them

When was the poll taken and did they say that they expected everbody to be offended by proxy?

You can be offended by whoever or whatever pleases you it matters not in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think I'm racist or any ist for that matter but if I wanted to be then I would be wthout you or anybody else telling me I can't.
    Whatever I am or want to be is none of your business, I am me not you thank God.
  • Options
    *animasana**animasana* Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone is trying to use it as a get out clause .... merely a possible explanation. Not everything in life is so one sided and ... err .... black and white

^^^^ Exactly!

His age is definitely a contributory factor. He's archetypal, entrenched 'old school'. Mostly, whenever I've watched him in the House, he seems confused, bemused and totally clueless about what's going on around him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think I'm racist or any ist for that matter but if I wanted to be then I would be wthout you or anybody else telling me I can't.
    Whatever I am or want to be is none of your business, I am me not you thank God.

The law may tell you you can't as they are laws against that kind of thing now and thank god there is
  • Options
    HIGHERSTATEHIGHERSTATE Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you put your fingers in your ears and keep shouting 'Racist, Racist, Racist'

Then thats all you'll believe..

If you listen to peoples opinions and actively want to discuss the murky waters of the subject then you'll realise its not a simple black or white (no pun) subject..

Does anybody on here know the exact definition of racism/racist?...Scholars/lecturers/cultural experts spend years studying the subject yet some people on here seem the know the answer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    bambii wrote: »
    I am catching up on Sundays ep at the moment, and saw the bomb comment.

I look at him and see and old granddad that's old fashioned politically incorrect like my grampa was. He's not a nasty man, but he doesn't seem to have caught up with modern society and how 'politically correct' we are!

I feel sorry for him.

Nothing to do with being PC, it just reveals the level of insensitivity towards others from dear old Ron & his kind who think they can buy and trade people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aceface wrote: »
    Nothing to do with being PC, it just reveals the level of insensitivity towards others from dear old Ron & his kind who think they can buy and trade people.

What you are now saying Ron is a slave trader?How very bigoted of you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The law may tell you you can't as they are laws against that kind of thing now and thank god there is

I'll ask you again, who made these laws? Was it a public poll? Was it three or four judges?

The law can't tell me or anybody else what to think and the law can't brand me as racist for anything I do think, neither can you.
    You can only give an opinion and I'm entitled to have a different opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll ask you again, who made these laws? Was it a public poll? Was it three or four judges?

The law can't tell me or anybody else what to think and the law can't brand me as racist for anything I do think, neither can you.
    You can only give an opinion and I'm entitled to have a different opinion.

The same system that make any laws or don't you agree with any law
  • Options
    jackyo55jackyo55 Posts: 19,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think Ron's problem ..and his generation have trouble understanding what is pc incorrect and what is'nt ..haveing been bought up at a time when pc had't been invented
  • Options
    giz a tabgiz a tab Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Big Ron ever walked into your house shouting racist things?
    Have you ever met him and heard anything racist?
    Have you met any blacks who have heard him say racist things?
    Have you been to any anti racist rallies?
    Have any blacks asked you to be offended for them?

Were you so vociferous about the mau mau uprisings?
    Were you so vociferous about the Rwandan genocide?
    Were you so vociferous about the Biafran genocide?
    Were you so vociferous about the slaughter of Kurds in Iraq?

Or is it just the white British that ires you?
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lue wrote: »
    There won't be anything left to say

So lets just do away with simple common decency and allow the likes of Atkinson to get away with using the N Word, calling black people Coons, Monkeys and linking Muslim women to bombers.

The guy is about as racist as they come! and if you and others want to stand by him then that is your choice, but please don't try and come up with insultingly pathetic excuses for him and what he thinks and says.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The same system that make any laws or don't you agree with any law

Ok so House of Parliament or House of Lords, did they debate what words are now deemed unacceptable, did they have a vote on it?