Options

Hello Ireland - the UK is NOT just England!

PontywarriorPontywarrior Posts: 8,142
Forum Member
Obviously Geography isn't Danielle's best subject but here in the UK we have 3 countries NOT just England!

Irish people can be very sensitive about not being British maybe they should offer the Welsh and Scottish the same regard!

Sorry it is a pet hate of mine! :(

Comments

• Options
    pepipoppepipop Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except the Scottish are looking to get out, and not too sure about the Welsh.
  • Options
    quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone care really.
  • Options
    LaneyhLaneyh Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously Geography isn't Danielle's best subject but here in the UK we have 3 countries NOT just England!

Irish people can be very sensitive about not being British maybe they should offer the Welsh and Scottish the same regard!

Fair dues but could you address your pet hate to Danielle or BB and not Ireland as a whole?
    Being a country Ireland will not be able to respond anyway

One thicko does not speak for a nation
  • Options
    Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pepipop wrote: »

Some Scottish, a lot of us are quite happy being in the UK.
  • Options
    pwuzpwuz Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    england holds all the power, hence why the other small countries are bitter
  • Options
    snarieksnariek Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't tarnish us all with the same brush! Most of Ireland is well aware Scotland and Wales are part of the UK, along with Northern Ireland which you failed to mention!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member

Obviously geography is not your strong point either. Technically the UK has four, not three, unless you're just referring to Britain, which your OP isn't.

Oh by the way, a Briton is someone from Britain. It always amazes me how such an anti EU country, thats its people and journalists do not have good comprehesion of their own indigenous descriptions.
  • Options
    dialecticdialectic Posts: 6,950
    Forum Member
    Laneyh wrote: »
    Fair dues but could you address your pet hate to Danielle or BB and not Ireland as a whole?
    Being a country Ireland will not be able to respond anyway

One thicko does not speak for a nation

Yes, for a supposedly intelligent woman, she is quite clueless.
    She thinks the most popular sport in Ireland is rugby -perhaps in her narrow social circles -Ron had to correct her on that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some Scottish, a lot of us are quite happy being in the UK.
    You do know that everyone in Scotland will be a millionaire if they go indy?
  • Options
    Jakone-BeeJakone-Bee Posts: 1,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was disgusting of her.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But the Welsh and Scottish people are British?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't forget the people of Northern Ireland. They are also part of the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pepipop wrote: »

The Scottish are not looking to get out. The SNP are looking to get out. The people of Scotland have yet to make their decision.
  • Options
    kate03kate03 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP I don't know why you targeted the whole of Ireland in your opening post.

Your post should've read:

Hello Danielle - England is not the whole of the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member

I wasn't watching so I don't know what she said.

It is obviously not really a pet hate of yours because if it was then you would know what you were talking about, the UK has 4 countries ;) so maybe you have just offended some people in Northern Ireland, those of them who want to be part of the UK. Pet hate....pffft...yeah right, you just made yourself look stupid!!

There is 3 in Britain, 4 in the UK!!

Anyway there is a huge huge difference between called something that you are not ie when Irish people are called British and not being included in something ie. the Welsh being forgotten about as part of the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jakone-Bee wrote: »

They are not a part of grate britan
  • Options
    quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dialectic wrote: »
    Yes, for a supposedly intelligent woman, she is quite clueless.
    She thinks the most popular sport in Ireland is rugby -perhaps in her narrow social circles -Ron had to correct her on that one.

Rugby is hugely popular but the most is GAA sports. Ron would not have a clue.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakone-Bee wrote: »

Only if they choose to be.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

England Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland.That's four.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP why are you addressing a Country. Silly.
  • Options
    PontywarriorPontywarrior Posts: 8,142
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter whether any country is trying to 'get out' or are too small to matter.

The people who voted come from other countries other than England!

I get used to the Americans thinking this but not from a neighbour!

Oh and it does matter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pwuz wrote: »
    They are not a part of grate britan

They are part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. They have a British passport.

The whole point of this thread is Danielle referring to England when she should have referred to the UK. She was talking about voters who may keep her in. The whole of the UK can vote.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter whether any country is trying to 'get out' or are too small to matter.

The people who voted come from other countries other than England!

I get used to the Americans thinking this but not from a neighbour!

Oh and it does matter!

You don't even know yourself so why are you concerned what your neighbours think?
    You said it's your pet hate but you left out Northern Ireland and made yourself sound stupid.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,866
    Forum Member
    Leindub wrote: »
    Obviously geography is not your strong point either. Technically the UK has four, not three, unless you're just referring to Britain, which your OP isn't.

Oh by the way, a Briton is someone from Britain. It always amazes me how such an anti EU country, thats its people and journalists do not have good comprehesion of their own indigenous descriptions.

Not to mention the channel Isles and the Isle of Man - Crown dependencies.
  • Options
    dialecticdialectic Posts: 6,950
    Forum Member
    quasimoron wrote: »
    Rugby is hugely popular but the most is GAA sports. Ron would not have a clue.

When it comes to an Irish team, representing the country on the world stage, soccer is huge and rallies the nation, 'Boys in Green' etc... that was what Ron pointed out.